Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

COMPLETE Newbie/Beginner - Question About Tamron AF 90mm Macro f/2.8 Di SP

I am completely new to the the DSLR world, but very much looking forward to learning and exploring. I am the recent owner of a KS2 and am looking to find a macro lens, which I found my options are the Tamron or Pentax 100mm. I am interested in the Tamron for budget reasons and have found one eBay, but the pictures are not great - it says it is for Pentax, but there is probably no way to tell really without a clear picture of the mount, right? I am hesitant to buy because I do not want to get stuck with something that will not work for my camera. I am also not sure if I am allowed to post links to eBay listings. Thank you for any advice or direction you experts can offer - and for listening to a complete newbie/beginner.

11-15-2016, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums

If the auction says it's for Pentax, you should be fine... and if it turns out not to be, you have every right to return it; eBay will always act in the buyer's favour on issues like that.

I have both lenses - the DFA100 f/2.8 WR in Pentax mount, and the Tamron SP 90 Di f/2.8 in Sony A-mount. Optically, there is very little to choose between them. The Pentax may be slightly sharper at f/2.8, but from f/4 there really is nothing in it subjectively (and for macro use you will likely be stopping down to at least f/8 anyway). The most recent version of the Pentax lens has better build quality than the Tamron and benefits from quick-shift manual focusing while in AF mode; but, the Tamron has a focus limiter which helps to avoid the lens racking back and forth throughout the whole range, and I prefer the feel of the manual focus mechanism.

Both lenses are fantastic, but - on balance - I think I actually prefer the Tamron just ever-so-slightly. It's a bargain, too... especially if you pick up a good used example (mine was less than a year old, indistinguishable from new and I think I paid £150 for it - about $185)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-15-2016 at 12:56 PM.
11-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the Tamron and if I was to do it again I would rather spend a bit more and get the Pentax. Mainly because I really don't like the push-pull mechanism of the Tamron to switch between AF and MF. Combined with the absence of quick-shift, this made it a relatively akward lens to use IMHO. I'm also not a big fan of the "hard to clean" recessed front element. That said, no matter what, the Tamron is still a really good lens for the price and can deliver outstanding results. It certaintly is recommandable, particularly if you can get a good deal on a used one.
11-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I have the Tamron and if I was to do it again I would rather spend a bit more and get the Pentax. Mainly because I really don't like the push-pull mechanism of the Tamron to switch between AF and MF. Combined with the absence of quick-shift, this made it a relatively akward lens to use IMHO. I'm also not a big fan of the "hard to clean" recessed front element. That said, no matter what, the Tamron is still a really good lens for the price and can deliver outstanding results. It certaintly is recommandable, particularly if you can get a good deal on a used one.
Have you tried a LensPen? the only thing i've found that I can't clean easily with that is the rear element of the... I forget if it's the 40mm xs or the 15mm limited. The smaller of the two.

11-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. I own both the Tamron and the Pentax. The Tamron is a fine lens and is an excellent choice. I bought the DFA100 WR for the weather sealing and it was on sale for a hard to resist price. The Pentax definitely has a better build quality and handling. There are usually plenty of Tamron 90mm Macros for sale here in the Marketplace. I have even thought about listing mine numerous times. If you are unsure about an Ebay Item just contact the seller. A reputable seller will normally contact you back pretty quick. I normally just ask if it has best tested on a camera body or have a picture of the mount sent. I believe links to ebay listing are fine here as long as you are not the seller.
11-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I believe links to ebay listing are fine here as long as you are not the seller.
That's correct
11-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I cannot comment on the Tamron, but I know from experience that the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro is incredibly sharp, weather sealed, and a remarkable prime.

11-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Tamron has a aperture ring, the Pentax does not (previous versions did). That matters if you want to move into extreme macro using extension tubes later on.

The Tamron is a great lens, not only for macro. But the push-pull and rear cap are pains.
11-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LadyGoodman Quote
I am completely new to the the DSLR world, but very much looking forward to learning and exploring. I am the recent owner of a KS2 and am looking to find a macro lens, which I found my options are the Tamron or Pentax 100mm. I am interested in the Tamron for budget reasons and have found one eBay, but the pictures are not great - it says it is for Pentax, but there is probably no way to tell really without a clear picture of the mount, right? I am hesitant to buy because I do not want to get stuck with something that will not work for my camera. I am also not sure if I am allowed to post links to eBay listings. Thank you for any advice or direction you experts can offer - and for listening to a complete newbie/beginner.
I have gushed about the Tamron 90mm Macro before:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/223359-let-...-90-macro.html

I've always wanted to try owning the Pentax 100mm Macro, but I could never find a reason to pony up the extra several hundred dollars to get one over the Tamron 90 (I think I've gone through 3 Tamron 90 Macros).

Save money, get the Tamron, and if you decide you really like taking macro shots in the 90-110mm range, then that is the time to consider the Pentax 100mm (and you can sell your Tamron 90 for probably the same price and not lose anything).
11-16-2016, 03:39 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't lose with either, Ladygoodman - spoiled for choice.

11-16-2016, 03:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I have gushed about the Tamron 90mm Macro before:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/223359-let-...-90-macro.html

I've always wanted to try owning the Pentax 100mm Macro, but I could never find a reason to pony up the extra several hundred dollars to get one over the Tamron 90 (I think I've gone through 3 Tamron 90 Macros).

Save money, get the Tamron, and if you decide you really like taking macro shots in the 90-110mm range, then that is the time to consider the Pentax 100mm (and you can sell your Tamron 90 for probably the same price and not lose anything).
I agree 100 percent and I own both.
11-16-2016, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LadyGoodman Quote
I guess I should add I am predominantly going to use a macro lens for photographing jewelry for social media/Etsy purposes - so are the lenses I put out there too aggressive for this? Would a 50mm macro suffice?
Personally, I would go with the Tamron 90mm or Pentax 100mm. 50mm macros are great, but as you rightly identified, you'll need to get up much closer depending on the level of magnification you want. So long as you have a bit of room to work, I think the 90 or 100mm focal lengths would be better...
11-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I'm also not a big fan of the "hard to clean" recessed front element.
The front element of the Pentax 100mm is also deeply recessed. I don't have both to compare which would be more annoying to clean

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Maybe used, but new prices in Canada seem to be slightly lower for the Pentax. Odd how this has flipped, I bought the non-WR Pentax100mm about 7 years ago and it was about 20-25% more than the Tamron at the time (new prices).

Even if I'd paid double what I did, with the use I've gotten out of it I'd still be happy. I'm sure I'd feel the same about the Tamron, "spoiled for choice" is accurate.
11-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #14

welcome Ladygoodman, I have had the Tamron, DFA 90mm and FA 90mm, and also the Sigma EX 105, all 4 are very sharp, you will have no complaints about that.
Ok, so I tried them all I still have the Sigma 105

the Difference,
-The Sigma and Tamron both have a push/pull system for manual/auto focus, I don,t mind it but some do, personal preference
-The new Pentax FDA wr is weather sealed, that is a good thing, but you can not control the aperture, it is auto only and I like to be able to control it, not all the time, but sometimes..
- The DFA (older) has aperture control
- The older Fa feels cheap, like all FA's, but work well
-One more, The clamp on the DfA and FA does not work all that well, ( at least on the ones I had) I prefer the limit switch on both the Tamron and Sigma.

All that said, All of them are sharp, and would serve you well. Isn't nice to have choices
11-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jevans Quote
The new Pentax FDA wr is weather sealed, that is a good thing, but you can not control the aperture, it is auto only and I like to be able to control it, not all the time, but sometimes..
- The DFA (older) has aperture control
I'm pretty sure her KS2 has the ability to control the aperture. Maybe you should specify that you're referring to using it with cheap extension tubes that don't have electrical contacts for aperture control, since your original post is quite misleading.

He's saying that it doesn't have a clickable aperture ring on the lens, instead relying on the camera to control it electronically. If you use cheap extension tubes (since you're a complete newbie - extension tubes are used to increase the magnification of macro lenses) without electrical contacts, your lens will be stuck at one aperture. I forget if it's wide open or completely closed. If you get to the point where you find you need tubes and you have a lens without an aperture ring, you can always buy junky old teleconverter that has the electrical contacts and remove the glass from it. You can probably find those for under $20.