Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What camera are you using? I found it overexposes by a stop or more on the K-3 and K-5, but is just about right on the K-1. So check your exposures with a few trial shots first, and adjust ev compensation if necessary. Otherwise, you should have no problems.
I'm going to use it on K-1, but definitely will try is on K5iis as well.
Thanks, I will pay attention.

11-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Just echoing others: the Sigma 35 f1.4 is sharp and has nice bokeh, but the AF [for me] has been inconsistent - as in 'take 5 shots of exactly the same target, 3 will be focussed differently'. More so on the K-3 than the K-1. It is a lens that needs supervision.
11-17-2016, 02:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I got a very short notice this week that I'm the only one (of course! ) to shoot the bride getting ready session at the hotel this Saturday.
So I ordered Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, and it suppose to arrive on Friday.
Am I crazy to plan shooting with the unknown lens? Should I worry? I read that this lens can be tricky to use.
Lana if I may ask, why are you disappointed being the only one to shooting the bride getting ready. That is my favorite part of shooting a wedding.

By the way where can I see some of your work on weddings?

Culture
11-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Lana if I may ask, why are you disappointed being the only one to shooting the bride getting ready. That is my favorite part of shooting a wedding.

By the way where can I see some of your work on weddings?

Culture
I'm not disappointed, more like "yeah, right, I'm the only one, because it's free"
Initially it was "no, we want you just enjoy the wedding, we hired a pro, so you just have fun". Then, suddenly, oh we love your pictures... Knowing them I hoped it will not happen, but nothing new. History repeats itself ones again, the third time actually. This time I hoped it will be different, but well...
The problem is that I love them, and they use it

It's a family, and it's the worst case scenario for me, when everyone will not take me seriously as a photographer, but expect magazine quality pictures, because "I have a good camera". You know, the camera takes pictures, right?

Many times I stated that I hate short notices, but who cares.
Even more, I can't get the straight answer about the exact schedule. I need to plan the shoot. They don't understand that.
If you want me to be your photographer, then take me seriously as a photographer. The time of family snaps is over. Honestly, I don't want that headache at all. It's easy to work with strangers, plan the shoot with cooperative clients. I don't do it myself, but I assist the sessions occasionally now. Clients are easy, trust me.

Here is the one of candids I actually like. The rest is not really interesting for outsiders. This one at least tells some story.
It's Sigma 30mm f1.4 on Canon because I bought the first copy for Pentax later. Canon copy had no issues with AF, with only some inconsistent results which I thought were my fault. Dark venue, typical. This time I hope K-1 will do much better job.

Attached Images

Last edited by micromacro; 11-17-2016 at 05:12 AM.
11-17-2016, 05:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And this is their pro's job. You see my hair? Guess why. I did not have any time for styling.
Attached Images

11-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm not disappointed, more like "yeah, right, I'm the only one, because it's free"
Initially it was "no, we want you just enjoy the wedding, we hired a pro, so you just have fun". Then, suddenly, oh we love your pictures... Knowing them I hoped it will not happen, but nothing new. History repeats itself ones again, the third time actually. This time I hoped it will be different, but well...
The problem is that I love them, and they use it

It's a family, and it's the worst case scenario for me, when everyone will not take me seriously as a photographer, but expect magazine quality pictures, because "I have a good camera". You know, the camera takes pictures, right?

Many times I stated that I hate short notices, but who cares.
Even more, I can't get the straight answer about the exact schedule. I need to plan the shoot. They don't understand that.
If you want me to be your photographer, then take me seriously as a photographer. The time of family snaps is over. Honestly, I don't want that headache at all. It's easy to work with strangers, plan the shoot with cooperative clients. I don't do it myself, but I assist the sessions occasionally now. Clients are easy, trust me.

Here is the one of candids I actually like. The rest is not really interesting for outsiders. This one at least tells some story.
It's Sigma 30mm f1.4 on Canon because I bought the first copy for Pentax later. Canon copy had no issues with AF, with only some inconsistent results which I thought were my fault. Dark venue, typical. This time I hope K-1 will do much better job.
I completely understand what you mean with family. It is also difficult be a professional around them.
Case in point my wife wanted us to take family portrait. When we were ready and tried position everyone. She didnt like the way I positioned her.
Lets just say have not processed those shots since they were taken two years ago.

---------- Post added 18-11-16 at 16:31 ----------

And this is their pro's job. You see my hair? Guess why. I did not have any time for styling.
That was the work the pro submitted? I understand the problem with so much light coming in from the window. But I will never submit that.

---------- Post added 18-11-16 at 17:14 ----------

By the way, any one thought of the sigma 18-35 1.8 for a wedding?
11-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I completely understand what you mean with family. It is also difficult be a professional around them.
Case in point my wife wanted us to take family portrait. When we were ready and tried position everyone. She didnt like the way I positioned her.
Lets just say have not processed those shots since they were taken two years ago.

Yep, that's the family! That's exactly what I'm talking about.

That was the work the pro submitted? I understand the problem with so much light coming in from the window. But I will never submit that.

I did not mean to mock someone's work, but yes, it was the preview for buying, the final product. I did not buy anything from her. The light was harsh, and she left before the evening light. Her equipment was a pro grade, and honestly, I was surprised that someone can invest so much money for delivering such a product.
When I tried to pull the bride and groom out for the best evening pictures, they just told they don't want to do it again, the pro did it. Oh, well. I've tried...

By the way, any one thought of the sigma 18-35 1.8 for a wedding?
It's DC lens, and I was looking for DG Sigma. for K-1. It seems that 18-35 should be very convenient lens for weddings.

Still don't have complete information about the schedule for tomorrow. They want me to shoot hair styling at 1pm at the hotel, but the check-in is at 3pm there. Go figure where they want me to drive. I've been told to go to the hotel at1pm, then at 11:30am, then again at 1pm...
And the lens did not arrive yet, most likely at night. You know, I just totally relaxed.
I knew it will be like that. It's always like that, no surprise. Actually I would be more surprised if they would perfectly plan everything before the last day.

11-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got the lens. It's great on K-1. No scratch problem. It's sharp wide open, if you are lucky to nail the focus
Adjusted +4 so far, but need better testing.
I ordered from Beach Camera because Adorama did not have the lens in stock, and BH did not offer one or two day shipping. Poor packaging, the lens was loose inside, the invoice is smashed and torn (?)
The lens in not fast focusing as I hoped.
Pretty soon I will get sigmaphobia because this lens seems like hard time giver.

Here is the bride!
Attached Images

Last edited by micromacro; 11-18-2016 at 12:50 PM.
11-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This lens drives my crazy.
It focuses like a charm at f1.4 with -3 adjustment. If I change the aperture, that adjustment is useless. Then, if I change the distance, again, I need to adjust again.
Basically, the adjustment is in between -3 and +4 depending on aperture and distance. Should I memorize all those adjustments?
And yes, it's impressively sharp at f1.4, but what a pain to use Sigma(s) on Pentax cameras.
Does USB dock helps? If not, I probably will return the lens
11-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

That is really annoying the "Art" series of sigma having this AF problems.
With the quality and sharpness that they deliver I am surprised at this. I wonder if the other brands are facing the same issues.
I am thinking of getting the 18-35 for weddings and newborn because of the image quality. But I am still debating on this.

I understand the AF issue is not present in live view. So you can try that. I am not a live view person myself but I am contemplating if I can be.
The other side of using live view at a wedding is that my battery will die fast.
Dilemmas huh?

Culture

---------- Post added 19-11-16 at 10:12 ----------

Just got the lens. It's great on K-1. No scratch problem. It's sharp wide open, if you are lucky to nail the focus
Adjusted +4 so far, but need better testing.
I ordered from Beach Camera because Adorama did not have the lens in stock, and BH did not offer one or two day shipping. Poor packaging, the lens was loose inside, the invoice is smashed and torn (?)
The lens in not fast focusing as I hoped.
Pretty soon I will get sigmaphobia because this lens seems like hard time giver.

Here is the bride!
If you show this picture, you might get the job of dressing the bride too.
11-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #26
Pentaxian

This lens drives my crazy.
Does USB dock helps? If not, I probably will return the lens
There's no firmware update available for the Pentax version, so the USB dock is not useful for that. You can fiddle with the focus though. Mine's pretty good, so it wasn't necessary on either K-3 or K-1. Sounds like you got a bad copy.

The FA 31 is probably a safer choice.
11-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
There's no firmware update available for the Pentax version, so the USB dock is not useful for that. You can fiddle with the focus though. Mine's pretty good, so it wasn't necessary on either K-3 or K-1. Sounds like you got a bad copy.

The FA 31 is probably a safer choice.
Another bad copy? Seems that I'm a magnet for bad copies: 2 Sigmas 30mm, and now Sigma 35mm. I also got pretty big amount of misfocused shoots with Sigma 30mm for Canon, but not that bad as with Pentax. Considering the price, Sigma is doing pretty bad job.
Probably I'm giving up, and start "hunting" for used, but proven sharpness wide open FA 31mm.
11-20-2016, 11:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Getting ready was a disaster, as I assumed. Late and messed. Probably will get about 15-20 decent shoots.
Sigma is awesome, but misfocuses too much. Maybe is it a camera issue, and I better to check the sensor shift? I don't know.
Will return the lens for now, I can't deal with it.

Here, I tried to be creative since it was no space literally even to put my cameras in that crowd. Instead of hanging the dress on the best spot near the window, I just dropped it on the sofa.
Attached Images

11-20-2016, 11:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

That looks like a nice wedding dress. I am guessing you were able to take beautiful pictures of the bride getting ready.

Too bad about the sigma. Did you try working with it in Liveview?
11-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I did. Can't tell now which was better, as I told it was totally overwhelming mess.
We missed absolutely amazing sunset, we did not have a chance to shoot outside the room. The only smart thing I did- I took the bride out the room alone for very quick session, and the half of that time I tried to relax her a bit.
At the venue I approached the photographer and asked if he has any request for the guest shooter. He told just not to step him over. He did the standard in house package, so at the end I put my flash on, FA 77mm, and covered the guests he did not shoot much.