Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 03:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
He spelled it correctly. In Dutch and in French, the correct spelling is Chili. Where's the problem? The United States is spelled "les Etats-Unis" or "los Estados Unidos" in some countries which is not an error either. The OP appears to be from the Netherlands, which means he sees the word Chili more often than the English Chile. Didn't see your answer to his question beyond critcism of his correctly-spelled vocabulary.

I'd take the 24-70 and hike comfortably.
It was too good an opportunity for a wisecrack on an English-speaking forum to pass up!
No offense intended

11-17-2016, 05:32 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He spelled it correctly. In Dutch and in French, the correct spelling is Chili. Where's the problem? The United States is spelled "les Etats-Unis" or "los Estados Unidos" in some countries which is not an error either. The OP appears to be from the Netherlands, which means he sees the word Chili more often than the English Chile. Didn't see your answer to his question beyond critcism of his correctly-spelled vocabulary.
Understood, David. The OP did spell the country name both as "Chile" and as "Chili" (which is a too-common misspelling for American English), and I did self-deprecatingly misspell my own country's name to match, but I do see your point. So, I stand corrected. Or, rather, I sit corrected.
11-17-2016, 05:39 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
From December 17th I will be travelling in Chile for four weeks. Most time will be spend in Santiago, the carratera austral (highway through the Andes going south to Patagonia), and a week hiking in Torres del Paine national park.

Of course I hope to take a lot of beautiful photographs with my K1, but that puts me also in bit of a dilemma while choosing lenses:
- DA 12-24: for architecture in Santiago and landscapes. On the K1 you can use 18-24 mm
- DFA 24-70: workhorse, this lens will definitely be in my camera bag
- FA 77 Ltd: it is my favourite prime and perhaps even my favourite lens, but the DFA 24-70 covers almost the same focal length
- DA 300: for capturing wildlife
- HD TC 1.4: for extension of the DA 300

I can take all lenses, but than my bag is full and heavy, which is not perfect for hiking, as I will also have to carry my tent, sleeping mattress/bag, cooking stuff, etc. So I am thinking to leave the 12-24 and the 77 at home.

What do you think? Any tips of alternatives?
If weight is a serious consideration and you have access to it / them why not consider not consider a smaller (APS-C) format camera with lighter weight lenses. Or perhaps even go for broke and get a zoom compact with a circa one inch sensor. (Relative to the cost of your trip it could be a minor extra cost.) Overall it really depends on how you are going to display the myriad of pictures taken; monitor, television / smart phone / print etc.. A camera with Raw would be useful for really challenging light or if serious cropping is required but JPEG quality is getting a lot better and produces smaller files. Do not forget to take plenty of batteries and cards (smaller capacity are better in case of card failure) and, if possible something to back them up on. Remember also to cater for the weather; weatherproof is not waterproof.
11-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Very tasty, and one of my cold weather favorites.
I would bring an adventure and chili-proof cam!

11-17-2016, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster

I'd take the 24-70 and hike comfortably.
Thanks, indeed I am not a native English speaker and yes it is spelled 'Chili' in Dutch, can't seem to change the title of the thread, so keep those cheap jokes coming. I dare you all to switch to Dutch so I can have some fun too .

But besides the jokes, some really good suggestions which I really appreciate a lot. I perhaps have to decide what my focus will be: wildlife or landscape. The DA 300 is quite a heavy beast, but I do love to photograph birds and other wildlife and for that purpose the 1.4 converter with the FA 77 will be way too short. On the other hand I can limit myself by leaving the DA 12-24 at home and stick to 24 mm of the DFA 24-70. But that does not necessarily lighten up my kit that much as the 12-24 is only 430 g. And there is no cheap (zoom) alternative for the DA 300 available that comes to my mind, or is there?
11-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, indeed I am not a native English speaker and yes it is spelled 'Chili' in Dutch, can't seem to change the title of the thread, so keep those cheap jokes coming. I dare you all to switch to Dutch so I can have some fun too .

But besides the jokes, some really good suggestions which I really appreciate a lot. I perhaps have to decide what my focus will be: wildlife or landscape. The DA 300 is quite a heavy beast, but I do love to photograph birds and other wildlife and for that purpose the 1.4 converter with the FA 77 will be way too short. On the other hand I can limit myself by leaving the DA 12-24 at home and stick to 24 mm of the DFA 24-70. But that does not necessarily lighten up my kit that much as the 12-24 is only 430 g. And there is no cheap (zoom) alternative for the DA 300 available that comes to my mind, or is there?
K-70 user here...found room in my luggage and took all three zooms for Texas trip: 10-20mm Sigma, 17-50mm Sigma, and 55-300 PLM Pentax. Now the question becomes which to take out on hikes/outings as together they are fairly heavy and bulky!

Last edited by jgnfld; 11-17-2016 at 09:56 AM.
11-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd sugggest taking the 24-70 and any version of the 55-300 and shooting the 55-300 in crop mode if it vignettes. 1:1 or apsc crops should be pretty awesome and the lens is light and available in WR forms.

The 77 is your call but the 24-70 is pretty capable by all accounts.

11-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

...a friend of mine makes a very nice boterkoek

I guess you can manage in Santiago without an UWA... it's not one of those cities... I can't think of a place where it would be indispensable.

On the mountains, I don't know... but it's easier... you can always stitch.
11-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'd sugggest taking the 24-70 and any version of the 55-300 and shooting the 55-300 in crop mode if it vignettes. 1:1 or apsc crops should be pretty awesome and the lens is light and available in WR forms.
This would be my suggestion. The 55-300 zooms at 300mm are not the optical equal of the DA 300, nor at 77mm of the FA 77. However, they are surprisingly good (stopped down just a bit), and a whole lot lighter and more compact than the DA 300. Furthermore, any one of them would give you a lot of flexibility (55mm-300mm), as well.
12-09-2016, 02:43 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, so I have take the plunge and ordered a DA 55-300 WR PLM HD and so on ;-). Bottom line: it is not a DA*300, but it does provide me with quality I need and the autofocus (the only real drawback on the DA*300 in my opinion), is actually faster! I am really amazed what this cheap zoom lens can do, even in FF mode! I have even tried it with the HD TC 1.4 and although that is not a good combination in the Netherlands in winter (not enough light), it will perform well in bright Chilean summer I suppose.

So, now I have the following travelling kit in mind: K-1 with 24-70, DA 55-300, HD TC 1.4, Irix 15 mm for astro and landscapes and maybe the FA 77. But I am still debating on the FA 77, It is small and light, so it will not be a heavy burden and I just love that lens. On the other hand the 24-70 is not terrible at 70 mm either, is WR and is more flexible...
12-09-2016, 03:44 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

he FA 77, It is small and light, so it will not be a heavy burden and I just love that lens

If it is a lens you really love, bring it, you might not use it during your hike while walking , but you might be sitting in a place for a time, something catches your eye, or you are watching people as you sit in cafe, or in a market, and you want the sharpness and bokeh that only a prime can allow.
12-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It was too good an opportunity for a wisecrack on an English-speaking forum to pass up!
No offense intended
FWIW, in my state (which prides itself on its red and green chile), the spelling "chili" is considered bad form all the way around. It is neither the name of the food nor the country. It is the name created in our neighboring state to the east for that greasy stuff that comes in the can, which began as "chili con carne," or the restaurant chain from the same state.

Our peppers and the country are both said CHEE-lay by Spanish speaking locals. However, it it interesting that my Google Chrome tries to spell correct the Spanish.

Full disclosure: I am a creation of that state to the east. Now back to photography.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-09-2016 at 07:46 AM.
12-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On our recent trip to Patagonia including Torres del Paine I took my K-3 with the DA*300, the 1.4x teleconverter, the DA*16-50mm and my 90mm Tamron Macro (not really much in the way of making choices - that's basically what I have in terms of quality lenses). With binoculars and my laptop this just about filled a carry-on backpack - fortunately carry-ons usually aren't weighed. The TC isn't just useful with the DA*300mm, it adds flexibility for your other lenses as well.
Be prepared for incredible variety - the wildflowers in Patagonia are beautiful, the landscapes are vast and the lighting is magic. The glaciers and icebergs are amazing. The vegetation, Guanacos, rheas, penguins and the other birdlife are very exotic. We didn't hike long distances - hiking might be an argument against the DA*300 - it is a heavy lens - but you will miss some good shots if you don't take it (the DA 55-300 would be a lighter alternative but you don't have that one). I carried everything on a Tamrac belt with a Peak Design Capture Pro clip.
Be prepared for a lot of wind and mixed weather (warm as well as cool) - take a warm hat that won't get blown away!
I have posted pics on the 300m+ lens, telephoto landscapes, smaller wildflower, Tractor, Earth's Bones and Scenes and Scapes threads.
Have a great time - we did!
12-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
FWIW, in my state (which prides itself on its red and green chile), the spelling "chili" is considered bad form all the way around. It is neither the name of the food nor the country. It is the name created in our neighboring state to the east for that greasy stuff that comes in the can, which began as "chili con carne," or the restaurant chain from the same state.

Our peppers and the country are both said CHEE-lay by Spanish speaking locals. However, it it interesting that my Google Chrome tries to spell correct the Spanish.

Full disclosure: I am a creation of that state to the east. Now back to photography.
Gebhardt's?
12-12-2016, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Gebhardt's?
If you mean the stuff in the can, I was thinking Wolf Brand.