Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couldn't resist - LBA post

After seeing this lens in the shop keepers widow I just couldn't resist it. Price was low enough and I managed to talk the guy into even lower 25. I tried it first time, compared it to my DA40, and sharpness seemed OK. I walked away empty handed but few days later I was back with my Tamron 28-200 for another comparison in shop and this lens won me over. When I asked shop assitant if could try it again, he joked if I had forgotten film previously (old Cannon guy)... After few outings and some quick and dirty comparison test at home I can say it delivers well above Tamron. It's faster, sharper, brighter, smaller...
my only girpe is the flare. The lens doesn't have a hood nor snap on hood thread, but I'm planning to get step up rings, so I can use unused hood from Sigma 105. For now, using my coated CPL does well enough though I still have to be careful.
So, ladies and gentlemen, here is my new (old) Tokina RMC 28 f2.8, another fast-ish prime addition to my walkaround kit, which is now consisting of Sigma 10-20, Tokina 28, DA40 and Sigma 105...
here's the lens, and sample shot, and 100% crop from another shot with only levels done (just to show sharpness and CA (the lack of it)).

Last edited by axl; 09-06-2008 at 03:11 AM.
07-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Have to agree with you on many of the above counts and I very much enjoy this lens also but I have the M42 version and the adaptor ring thing can get in the way a little.

The optics are great and size is perfect for a walk around - the focal length suits my style so I now have three 28mm lenses. Picked up a k mount Vivitar in close focus version this last weekend for about the same price you paid and is also similar in size and looks - probably a Tokina under the skin.
07-31-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have always considered 28 as bit too narrow, but since I got DA40, I love how wide 28mm is
07-31-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

A couple of Tokina 28/2.8 shots to show how nice they are :-).