Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Eeeeer

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yes. And I have removed the Ricoh aperture lever so it is totally manual.
Wow ..

11-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #32
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once more with the k01 ( liveview) and focus peaking employed (and a lcd viewfinder) I find it preferential to work with the lens stopped down to my chosen aperture so I can preview Dof and bokeh. If I use a M or A lens I can only do that by unmounting the lens 7 - 9 mm. So disabling the lever is a valid option. I have just completed a 5 day trek and chose to take my K30 (weather resistance). It felt like going back to the stone age utilizing the optical viewfinder for macro and my results are mediocre at best. Still waiting to hear why this is a slow process.
11-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
... I find it preferential to work with the lens stopped down to my chosen aperture so I can preview Dof and bokeh. ...
Maybe in really good/great light. But focusing a handheld macro shot in bad light with a stopped down aperture is, aaaahhhh, challenging, to put it mildly. Even with the gain from liveview, the screen can and does get extremely dark. It can be difficult/impossible to even find the critter you're looking for. Some people who shoot reversed (and thus pre-stopped-down) lenses add a flashlight to their setup to help with finding & focusing...
11-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #34
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes and I see old4570 often uses f16 whereas I don't tend to go over f8 so that is probably quite a point of difference in usability. But having said that last night in reasonably dim room light I was experimenting this issue and with the lens at f22 the focus peaking was working on a subject at 1:1 and quite usable.(the subject was indeed dim). Maybe here the focus peaking is a point of difference - I see old4570 has a K5 and I don't think that has FP.

11-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For the Vivitar 55 , F16 is all the F-stop available ..
No matter the lens , I crank in the smallest aperture I can for DOF .

I have spent a few years playing with different ways to Macro , there is no one way .. But there is the easy way , and the other way ? Is the way that works for you !
If something is not working , then one needs to sit down and assess the situation . Self assessment is just as important as being able to take a picture . If not more so !
There are several ways to macro ..
The easy way
The hard way
The way that does not work
The way that does work
Some one else's way
Your way

And there is no right or wrong equipment , there is only what works for you ! Or possibly what does not ..
A lot of Macro gear ends up on Ebay , ...... ( I wonder why ) Or gathers dust and mold till they are thrown away ..

So here is what I do :

My camera is set up and tuned .. Pre-set so to speak .
I can pick it up , take a quick test shot to make sure the light is ok ( I shoot Manual (M) mode )
And then go out and take pictures knowing I am 90% at the very least on my settings ..
I can tweak ISO - shutter speed or aperture on the fly so to speak to maintain optimum settings .
My dedicated macro gear is almost point and shoot ready .

To get there means practice , practice and more practice . And after several years of experimenting , finding all the ways not to macro .. I am left with the path of least resistance for me !
I am just about done experimenting . And no I haven't tried everything , or all the equipment , but I have found the path I want to walk .
And I am yet to find a way or equipment I can't macro with , the variable being success rate and difficulty .

I say what I say because I have been there and done that .
And there is one very important universal truth that is hard to escape ..

The proof is in the pudding ! ( The pudding is either good or not )

Anyhow , for Noobs wanting to macro I highly recommend the easy way ! The path that offers the least resistance to success .

---------- Post added 11-23-16 at 04:15 PM ----------

This morning ..
Dark , wet and windy ... The only shot worth a share

Last edited by old4570; 11-22-2016 at 11:45 PM.