Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Why not? They are all optically identical, and the Super-Multicoated-Takumar has similar coatings.
Simply because its M42 , no auto aperture ... ( Aperture is 100% Manual ) The camera does not close the aperture to your chosen Fstop as with K-M-A lenses ...
If you enjoy a lens that is a PITA to use , that's fine .
I am not questioning the Lens quality , M42 lenses can be simply fantastic .

What I am referring to is ease of use , user friendliness .. Usability ! ( As a Macro Lens )

11-21-2016, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #17
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Simply because its M42 , no auto aperture ... ( Aperture is 100% Manual ) The camera does not close the aperture to your chosen Fstop as with K-M-A lenses ...

What I am referring to is ease of use , user friendliness .. Usability ! ( As a Macro Lens )
Ummm - that is one reason why I prefer m42 - 100% manual aperture- in LV with contrast detect - AV mode. No green button - no crappy metering because your eye wasn't covering the eyepiece - no inconsistent stopping down because your iris is a fraction sticky.
11-21-2016, 04:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to be clear here, the ca,era does not choose the aperture on K or M lenses either.

What it comes down to is the following.

With K and M lenses you need to use green button metering, to set exposure, but you get open aperture focusing, with an m42 lens you can use it in AV mode, and meter automatically, but you are stopped down, so focusing can be harder.

The M42 can however be used to focus with open aperture then stopped down using the AM switch, or simply turning the aperture ring after focusing

Optically all sure Takumar to M series 40mmF4 macros ar the same, but as someone pointed out, the coatings have evolved over the 4 series, and to a lesser extent within the series
11-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The K and M 50mm macros are cheaper than newer versions because they're slower, but I believe they're just as sharp and are very highly regarded. I was on the look-out for one (as a cheap macro option) until recently when I managed to get the newer A version for less than the K or M usually go for. A 50mm macro is a fun lens to have.

11-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #20

I have the M50 macro and think it is a great lens. Extremely sharp and very easy to focus. Build quality is great on it and it has beautiful rendering. It's been a while since I've used it but it also take some pretty nice portraits. I will say that some might be drawn to the m42 tak version of the lens because (and correct me if I'm wrong)...the early version of it is a full 1:1 macro while M, K, etc versions all only go to 1:2.
11-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #21
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
with an m42 lens you can use it in AV mode, and meter automatically, but you are stopped down, so focusing can be harder.
But in Liveview focussing while stopped down is very effective especially with contrast detect. It is so effective that often you can sense the drop off in sharpness from f8 to f16 as diffraction starts kicking in. And you are getting a sense of the DoF while you are doing it.

errrrr - when I say contrast detect I got it wrong and meant focus peaking.

Last edited by GUB; 11-21-2016 at 05:10 PM.
11-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #22
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is another point about the auto aperture--you can essentially focus and wait for the right moment (insect moved to where you want, lul in breeze, etc.) and then instantly trip the shutter.

I don't think most phographers interested in field use of macro w/o a tripod, or w/ a tripod where timing is important, would be very happy w/ manual aperture--given a choice. [BTW That is also why 2 sec timer (or 10 sec timer on SLRs) is more limiting than able to lift mirror and wait.]

11-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #23
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
There is another point about the auto aperture--you can essentially focus and wait for the right moment (insect moved to where you want, lul in breeze, etc.) and then instantly trip the shutter.

I don't think most phographers interested in field use of macro w/o a tripod, or w/ a tripod where timing is important, would be very happy w/ manual aperture--given a choice. [BTW That is also why 2 sec timer (or 10 sec timer on SLRs) is more limiting than able to lift mirror and wait.]
Once more LV with the lens stopped down solves this and gives you a perception of your DoF.
11-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Apples and Oranges ...

I don't use a tripod , my camera is pre set for the prevailing light and conditions ..
I see a photo op , I move in and take the picture .. Usually there is little time to set up for a photo ( insects ) , I may have a 5 to 10 second window for the photo ..

So it comes down to Apples and Oranges

There is no right and wrong , and if you have lots and lots of time to take a picture then the M42 might be for you ..

Just to be clear here, the ca,era does not choose the aperture on K or M lenses either. = I never said that .....

I said Auto Aperture = You chose an Fstop setting , the camera holds the aperture open till you press the shutter and then the camera closes the aperture to the fstop setting chosen by U and takes a picture and then opens the aperture again ready for the next photo ... M42 does not do this .... K-M-A lenses do ...
11-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another thing about composing your image stopped down is you can premeditate your bokeh
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion...9479shdbbb.jpg
11-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #26
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and if you have lots and lots of time to take a picture then the M42 might be for you ..
I still havn't worked out how you figure that M42 and the AV mode is slower.?
11-22-2016, 01:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

WOw

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I still havn't worked out how you figure that M42 and the AV mode is slower.?
Really ? ( We are talking Macro ? )
11-22-2016, 01:35 AM   #28
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really ? ( We are talking Macro ? )
Well - technically macro is 1:1 and beyond and the old 50mms don't go there without tubes but yes closeups.
Calodenia orchids with a Rikenon 105mm 2.8 macro lens (manual). A handheld 1:1 shot uncropped.
Attached Images

11-22-2016, 05:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Ricoh Rikenon P 105mm f2.8 Macro Lens Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
This lens ?

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 11:17 PM ----------

Vivitar 55 , Pretty much functions the same as a M50 , only its 1:1
I have posted a few Pentax M 50 F4 Macro photos somewhere on the forum ...
11-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #30
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh Rikenon P 105mm f2.8 Macro Lens Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
This lens ?
Yes. And I have removed the Ricoh aperture lever so it is totally manual.