Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
does it make sense - are you really asking us?

I bought the DA35, DA40 Ltd, and DA50, plus a K55 and a Helios 58mm..... does that make any sense?

(:
LOL - I left out the 3 or 4 manual focus 50's and the F 50 f/1.7 and the FA 35 and the FA 31 - don't want to scare him too much yet. LOL.

11-21-2016, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I Own the 35, the 40xs and the FA 50 1.7. I Never used 50mm on APS_c accept when it was dark. The 40 however I took every where and used often. The 35, I don't know why but with two shooters in the family and 3 bodies, it never gets used or even mounted on a camera. Someone could have stolen it months ago and I wouldn't have known. I did dig it out yesterday, but as per usual, I never used it. My FA 35-80 is not much bigger and is so much more useful, there's not a lot of difference in IQ with many preferring the 35-80 colours and rendering.
11-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #33
Bui
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
does it make sense - are you really asking us?

I bought the DA35, DA40 Ltd, and DA50, plus a K55 and a Helios 58mm..... does that make any sense?

(:
Yes, I'm trying to find good reason to do it, you know
11-21-2016, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #34
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
Yes, I'm trying to find good reason to do it, you know

ah - you're going about it from the wrong end, then - try to find a good reason to not do it....

11-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #35
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would prefer to use M 50mm f1.7 for portraits than DA 40mm XS, unless you really need the AF.
You can use Catch in Focus with the M 50mm for something similar to AF. Select Av mode (on the M it will automatically be lowest F-number. In general for portraits you want f-number of f2.8 or lower), burst mode ON, enable CiF, have person stand so far that their shoulders and head are in-frame, and not much else, then just hold shutter button while slowly twisting the focus ring. Once things get in focus, the camera will start taking photos. Then just delete all photos where dominant eye is out of focus.. Also, press Info and choose the Portrait jpeg mode (or shoot raw and do some portrait-style PP on computer)
I tried CiF before but it didn't work. My Kx automatically took the photos continuously when I pressed the shutter, regardless of focusing status. Maybe I did something wrong. I will try to do it again today. Would be very handy with MF. Thank you.
11-21-2016, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Of those three I'd go for the 40mm. I have the limited version but I understand that the XS performs almost as well. The DAL 35mm is not quite as sharp and doesn't have such nice rendering. 50mm may be too long for what you want and I hear focusing is slow and noisy.
11-22-2016, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I can't decide between DA 35mm 2.4, 40mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8
Since when did lens rationing become a forum requirement?

Just get them all and sell on what you don't want... aye right... each will quickly fill place in your heart and more importantly a place in your bag and you can't leave gaps can you.

11-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #38
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Since when did lens rationing become a forum requirement?

Just get them all and sell on what you don't want... aye right... each will quickly fill place in your heart and more importantly a place in your bag and you can't leave gaps can you.

I really hope I could do so, however I must keep total spending for lens at a low number otherwise there is an angry wife who has been disliking my love for photography more and more lol.
11-22-2016, 04:32 AM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
an angry wife who has been disliking my love for photography more and more
You mean you tell her... we need to have a man to man talk here, pull up a chair my friend.
11-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #40
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would prefer to use M 50mm f1.7 for portraits than DA 40mm XS, unless you really need the AF.
You can use Catch in Focus with the M 50mm for something similar to AF. Select Av mode (on the M it will automatically be lowest F-number. In general for portraits you want f-number of f2.8 or lower), burst mode ON, enable CiF, have person stand so far that their shoulders and head are in-frame, and not much else, then just hold shutter button while slowly twisting the focus ring. Once things get in focus, the camera will start taking photos. Then just delete all photos where dominant eye is out of focus.. Also, press Info and choose the Portrait jpeg mode (or shoot raw and do some portrait-style PP on computer)
Sorry if I'm being out of topic, but since you mentioned Catch in Focus, today I tried it again, and unlike before, today in worked perfectly. The only thing I did differently was to set the AF/MF camera switch to AF. I always thought it should be "MF", is is normal or my KX has some problems?

And with CiF like this, I can't use the green button, so with K and M lens my camera will always shoot wide open, right?

Thank you.
11-22-2016, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry if I'm being out of topic, but since you mentioned Catch in Focus, today I tried it again, and unlike before, today in worked perfectly. The only thing I did differently was to set the AF/MF camera switch to AF. I always thought it should be "MF", is is normal or my KX has some problems?

And with CiF like this, I can't use the green button, so with K and M lens my camera will always shoot wide open, right?

Thank you.
CIF works as follows:

Lens is either an AF lens with AF/MF switch set to MF. OR a manual focus lens. Autofocus is on. Press shutter trigger, when something enters the prefocused area it fires "OR" you can turn the focus slowly until the focus triggers the shutter.
11-23-2016, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

The only thing I did differently was to set the AF/MF camera switch to AF. I always thought it should be "MF", is is normal or my KX has some problems?
Again, this is as things work. You are too paranoid
Read the manual. Lens has to be MF mode (which all manual focus lenses are) and camera has to be set to AF. And the lens mount has to be metal, not coated with non-conducive layers.
This is why you cannot use CiF with modern DA lenses. They have no AF/MF switch on the lens.

Why not? CiF has no effect on green button metering. You get as close to the right focus as possible, then you press green button, and them you press shutter button.
And no, camera will not shoot "wide open" just because you do not press green button. Green button is only for metering, it stops down the lens and takes the metering and sets the shutter speed. You can take photos in M mode, with whichever aperture you chose on the lens. M mode stops down. Av mode does not. Green button and Catch in Focus have no effect on this. Check the LCD screen on your camera, it says M or Av to notify you which mode it is in so you know what it will do.
11-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #43
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much now this is very clear to me. I have bought my camera and started learning photography since less than 3 months so I'm still confusing between many things, sorry for that :-)
11-23-2016, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

You don't really like the 35.
You have a 50.
You are enthused about the 40.

What is the question?
11-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You don't really like the 35.
You have a 50.
You are enthused about the 40.

What is the question?
I never got the impression he didn't like the 35. I thought he just lusted the 40. I may have missed a comment however.

I think it is worth buying both and selling one if you don't love them both.