Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 45 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't decide between DA 35mm 2.4, 40mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8

Hi all,

I'm trying to buy myself a birthday gift, so I think I'm gonna buy a new lens which is not very expensive and has auto-focus. Beside the kit lens I only own some old Pentax MF lens, although they give excellent IQ, sometime I just feel tired with MF, especially when trying to take picture of my 14m little girl. So this could be a refreshing thing.

I do mostly portrait, street photography and some landscape, so I think 30-50mm should do well on my Kx. Based on reviews and price, the DA 35 2.4, 40 2.8 and 50 1.8 seem the best choices. However I can't determine which I should get.

- DA 35mm 2.4: the widest, highest rating. However I borrowed it last week and I think the color rendering is a bit too colorful for my taste, or maybe because I use ML lens too much, and some images are out-of-focus, not sure because of my bad skills or the lens problem.

- DA 40mm 2.8 xs: I just can't resist the sexy look of this lens. With this size and weight this lens + Kx should be almost as portable as a point and shoot. 40mm is also good not too much different from 35mm. However the price is almost doubled so any of you who own it can you give me an idea of how it performs?

- DA 50mm 1.8: many people recommend it as a portrait lens, and also the cheapest one, so should be an easy choice. However it would be overlap with my M 50 1.7 which is still serving me very well.

I would appreciate any thought or advice from you. Thank you.

Last edited by Bui; 11-18-2016 at 03:53 PM.
11-18-2016, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
get all three - seriously...

they are completely different lenses and you'll find that each has a definite personality and what shots each is good for....

if it were only one, however, it would be the DA40 Limited...
11-18-2016, 03:21 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

You just described the 40mm Limited as "sexy."

Is there even any contest?
11-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if it were only one, however, it would be the DA40 Limited...
Not doubting you, but can you maybe qualify this a little? Is there something magical about the 40 Ltd. besides that it is a compromise between 35mm and 50mm?

11-18-2016, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Bui
Birthday present to one's self are hard
You don't want to spend too much BUT it's your Birthday so splurge a bit!
The DA 40 is the one for you
The 35 is only a step back for framing.
Portrait splurge on the 77 you won;t regret it ( other than your bank balance ) IT"S YOUR BIRTHDAY !!!

Dave
11-18-2016, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #6

Of those three, go for the 40 limited. That lens is half the reason I stick with Pentax. It just renders colors beautifully, is tack sharp, focuses fast, and looks cool as heck.
11-18-2016, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

On APS-C, the DA40 is a delight. And its size makes it so convenient to carry.

11-18-2016, 03:34 PM - 2 Likes   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Not doubting you, but can you maybe qualify this a little? Is there something magical about the 40 Ltd. besides that it is a compromise between 35mm and 50mm?
ah, the magic of the tiny 40mm - really, you'll be surprised at how small it is and the craftsmanship of the Limited lenses.... it disappears on the front on the K-3 and makes the camera a point and shoot...

excellent color rendition, quick focusing, quick-shift (if you like that sort of thing).... the ONLY thing I could ding the lens for is the cap/hood arrangement, and I just swap them out for a conventional hood and cap when I'm using it....

my flickr album of Daisy:

DA 40mm f2.8 Limited | Flickr

reviews of the DA40 Ltd here on PF (including mine):

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
11-18-2016, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's also the 40xs, which is tiny and awesome, and cheaper than the limited...

-Eric
11-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just going to mention the 40xs as well. If you get that, then you're also on your way to saving up for the DA 21 which would be the next big step going wider (since 35 and 40 are a bit close). Still as someone else mentioned all 3 of the lens you mentioned have differerent character, strengths, and function.
11-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #11
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I should clarify that I mean the 40mm xs, not Limited one (it's out of range even for birthday ).
11-18-2016, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Check out Ebay for a used SMC DA 40mm Limited. They can be found for reasonable sums. I picked mine up in mint condition from a seller in Japan (I also got a SMC DA 21mm Limited from a different seller in Japan). I love the IQ from the 40 Ltd, it is razor sharp and has great colour rendition IMHO.

I also have the DA 50mm F1.8, that arrived this week but I've not had an opportunity to try it out other than to pop it on the camera and fire a few shots off around the house.
11-18-2016, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen DA 40 limiteds selling for $150.

DA40xs

One thing about the DA40xs over the DA40 limited is the rounded apeture blades for bokeh.

The DA 50 and DA 35 are both great little lenses too. I prefer the 35 over the 50 myself because the FOV works better for me. Since getting the DA21 I will admit the DA40 does not get as much use. However the DA40xs is so small there is absolutely no reason to leave it at home.
11-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Still!
11-18-2016, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

There are many, many threads about the choice between these lenses. I have the DA 35mm, DA 40mm XS, and M 50mm f1.7

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
- DA 35mm 2.4: the widest, highest rating. However I borrowed it last week and I think the color rendering is a bit too colorful for my taste, or maybe because I use ML lens too much, and some images are out-of-focus, not sure because of my bad skills or the lens problem.
First, there is a small, but noticeable difference in FoV between 35mm and 40mm. The DA 35mm is sharper in the centre wide open, but when stopped down both lenses get pretty sharp. The colors are different between the two. To me, the DA 40mm XS has some of that "Pentax Limited" look - deep contrasts, smooth colours. The DA 35mm is not terrible in this department, but might not be as good.

- DA 40mm 2.8 xs: I just can't resist the sexy look of this lens. With this size and weight this lens + Kx should be almost as portable as a point and shoot. 40mm is also good not too much different from 35mm. However the price is almost doubled so any of you who own it can you give me an idea of how it performs?
Yes, the 40mm XS is super compact, and on a small DSLR the combo literally fits into some bridge camera cases, pockets, etc. To me, this lens is a little more temperamental than the DA 35mm. I still sometimes struggle to get sharp shots and correct focus with the DA 40mm XS. I learned the DA 35mm pretty well and get consistently good, sharp shots. The DA 35mm is more.. robust? It is easy to take good shots with the DA 35mm, it is sharp, it is very resistant to flare and fringing.

- DA 50mm 1.8: many people recommend it as a portrait lens, and also the cheapest one, so should be an easy choice. However it would be overlap with my M 50 1.7 which is still serving me very well.
I have M 50mm f1.7 and never bought the DA 50mm f1.8. Basically, the DA 50mm f1.8 has the same optical lineage, but more modern coatings and rounded aperture blades. And of course AF. That said, for headshots, for portraits where only shoulders and head are visible, I would recommend a 50mm lens, if not 55-mm85mm. The DA 35mm has some distortion and different perspective. It makes people's faces a little more round. Even on APSC, it has some of that "wide angle" look going on, which is generally not wanted for portraits. Group portraits and environmental portraits, the DA 35mm should be fine.

Anyway, get all of these lenses eventually. Start with DA 35mm because it is affordable and most different from the 50mm prime you have. OR get the DA 40mm if you want a compromise and a lens that has some Limited character. I doubt either of these lenses would disappoint you. For landscapes, 35mm is probably better. For portraits, 50mm (or at least 40mm) is probably better. It will still come down to your skills and style and work, though.

You can check my gallery (sig). I uploaded a bunch of DA 35mm and DA 40mmXS photos. But they have varying degrees of PP. DA 35mm is one of my most used lenses, way more than the DA 40mm XS. I don't photograph people

Last edited by Na Horuk; 11-18-2016 at 05:32 PM.