Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2016, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #16
Dark Underlord
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your consideration, I propose the Sigma Mini-Wide ii 28/2.8 and Super-Wide 24/2.8. You could find better and you could pay more, but IQ is certainly acceptable and they have the A setting.

11-19-2016, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #17
LMX

Photos: Gallery
Hi, here is a sample from M 28/2.8 wide open. I think it's pretty sharp.
Attached Images

11-19-2016, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding 28mm vs 24mm on APS-C, it is a matter of preference regarding field of view. The 28mm approximates a "normal" field of view on APS-C while 24mm is a mild wide angle. That being said, a decent quality vintage 24mm with minimal field curvature may be somewhat harder to find and be somewhat more expensive than a decent 28mm. It has been said that it is pretty hard to make a truly bad 28mm and very good to excellent models are relatively inexpensive and easy to come by.

There is a thread on this site dedicated to 28mm lenses as well as cult followings for some models, particularly the many Vivitar variants in both K-mount and M42.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/168895-dslr-fun-28mm-club-any-28mm-lens.html

FWIW, I own four:
  • Tamron 28/2.5 (02B)
  • S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5
  • Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kino, 67mm filter)
  • Vivitar 28/2.8 CF (Komine, K02)
The Tamron and Vivitar 28/2.8 are probably the best of the four.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-19-2016 at 12:06 PM.
11-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Regarding 28mm vs 24mm on APS-C, it is a matter of preference regarding field of view. The 28mm approximates a "normal" field of view on APS-C while 24mm is a mild wide angle. That being said, a decent quality vintage 24mm with minimal field curvature may be somewhat harder to find and be somewhat more expensive than a decent 28mm. It has been said that it is pretty hard to make a truly bad 28mm and very good to excellent models are relatively inexpensive and easy to come by.

There is a thread on this site dedicated to 28mm lenses as well as cult followings for some models, particularly the many Vivitar variants in both K-mount and M42.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/168895-dslr-fun-28mm-club-any-28mm-lens.html

FWIW, I own four:
  • Tamron 28/2.5 (02B)
  • S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5
  • Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kino, 67mm filter)
  • Vivitar 28/2.8 CF (Komine, K02)
The Tamron and Vivitar 28/2.8 are probably the best of the four.

Steve
Cool, there are so many options... endless. I actually have a tamron 28mm 2.5 that I have been using alot. I think its good but I enjoy owning Pentax glass...

11-19-2016, 03:14 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both focal lengths... “Friendly Lady” (Pentax-A 24mm F2.8) and my aptly named "Street Lady" (Pentax-A 28mm F2.8).

For old the Kerrowdown, who cut his teeth and grew up in the film era, the 28mm was always the go to lens for the "Street", it was just the preferred FOV for that kind of work. For me so much so that in crop sensor mode (K20D), it was always my "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8) that was used, thus giving me a very close (30mm) FOV.

But now with K1 FF, I'm back to my "Street Lady" (Pentax-A 28mm F2.8), hyperfocal distance set, I'm good to go, like these examples.

11-19-2016, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really like that 2nd shot in particular Kerrowdown.
There has long been talk of transforming a couple of old downtown streets into pedestrian malls in my hometown and adding greenery, sculpture, etc. The brick and cobblestone is wonderful.
The municipal leaders seem to have waited too long now as the oldest commercial district is drying up.
11-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I have M 28mm f2.8 (first version), which is supposedly one of the worst Pentax-brand 28mm lenses. But I find it to be acceptably sharp and fun to use. So I doubt any of the other 28mm Pentax primes would be terribly bad. To explain, my M 28mm is not as sharp as the DA 35mm f2.4, but it is sharper than the 18-55mm. With digital PP, it is sharp enough.

I was thinking of getting a 24mm, but there are no current AF 24mm primes on the market for Pentax (or 28mm!). The legacy ones are all fairly expensive (except for the Sigma, which you might find?). With the help of a nice Pentaxian I got a DA 21mm a a reasonable price, and am enjoying it so far. So, for APSC camera, that is another decent choice. It is not brutally sharp, but it is decently sharp, and it has a very nice style of rendering. The DA 21mm is a bit sharper than the M 28mm, maybe not quite as sharp as the DA 35mm, but it has a much nicer rendering. The DA 21mm has that Pentax limited magic

According to all the research I did, in an ideal world, I would get an F 28mm and DA 21mm, then maybe a manual 24mm (The FA 24mm seems to have some flaws on digital, and it is expensive). Samyang makes an interesting 24mm f1.4, but it is not as affordable as some other Samyang primes. It would complement the lenses I mentioned well, though. Anyway, my budget is depleted, so I will stick to my old manual 28mm and have fun with the new 21mm. Together with the Samyang 14mm I have, these cover the wide angle range very well.

Honestly, many Pentaxians are waiting for Pentax or at least some other lens maker to produce AF primes in 24mm and 28mm focal length.

Edit: Oh, one more thing. There is a thread titled "Fun with any 28mm lens" (here). It contains nothing but photos with 28mm primes. You might want to check it out to help decide what to get
Thanks to you and everyone here for providing their input. I sure the M 28 3.5 is a great lens. Its really tricky managing many lenses. I am just going to get out there and shoot some pictures to start using my new 24mm. Its very interesting how the much curve the front element has. I believe I will need a hood for this lens to avoid unwanted light from entering the lens.

---------- Post added 11-19-16 at 11:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I have both focal lengths... “Friendly Lady” (Pentax-A 24mm F2.8) and my aptly named "Street Lady" (Pentax-A 28mm F2.8).

For old the Kerrowdown, who cut his teeth and grew up in the film era, the 28mm was always the go to lens for the "Street", it was just the preferred FOV for that kind of work. For me so much so that in crop sensor mode (K20D), it was always my "Good Lady” (Pentax-A 20mm F2.8) that was used, thus giving me a very close (30mm) FOV.

But now with K1 FF, I'm back to my "Street Lady" (Pentax-A 28mm F2.8), hyperfocal distance set, I'm good to go, like these examples.

Pretty cool names for your lenses! Great work on taking those pictures. They came out amazing.
11-20-2016, 01:11 AM   #23
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Really like that 2nd shot in particular Kerrowdown.
Thanks very much.

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
The brick and cobblestone is wonderful.
In comparison to what Scotland usually has to offer, we all around here think that this is actually quite horrendous.

11-20-2016, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camerasup Quote
Pretty cool names for your lenses!
Aye, perhaps a little unorthodox, but hey... I'm the Kerrowdown.

QuoteOriginally posted by camerasup Quote
Great work on taking those pictures. They came out amazing.
Thank you.
11-20-2016, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
For your consideration, I propose the Sigma Mini-Wide ii 28/2.8 and Super-Wide 24/2.8. You could find better and you could pay more, but IQ is certainly acceptable and they have the A setting.
I have and like both of these. Their common weak spot is flare, which can be used to good effect in the right hands and situation but can be annoying when unwanted. Also beware that some manual versions with the A setting have a Ricoh pin.

The good thing about 28mm lenses, especially in K mount, is that there are just so man of them that you can buy, try and keep/sell repeatedly until you find ones you like. I have quite a few 28mm lenses even though it's a focal length I use rarely (I prefer 35mm) and I have yet to find the perfect one (sharp, fast, flare-resistant, not too big & heavy). Of the ones I've used, the first and last on the list below are m favourites.

Pentax K 28mm f/3.5 - I keep this because IQ is amazing, though it's too big, heavy and slow to be an all-rounder
Pentax M 28mm f/3.5 - just as sharp as the K but lacking in contrast and that 3D look. I had one and sold it, now I have another just because it was very cheap. Better than the f/2.8 Ms but nothing to write home about.
Pentax M 28mm f/2.8 (version 1) - not very sharp, produces dull-looking photos. Avoid.
Pentax M 28mm f/2.8 (version 2) - sharper and better contrast than v1 but still not great. Noticeable distortion. I sold mine.
Pentax A 28mm f/2.8 - not sharp wide open but good by f/4 and good colour & contrast. Excellent stopped down. The most horrendous bokeh I've ever seen. I have one and I'm not sure if I'll sell it or not.
Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2 - soft wide open but very good by f/2.8 and superb by f/4. Lacks a bit of contrast. Incredible build quality and quite heavy.
11-20-2016, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Pentax M 28mm f/2.8 (version 1) - not very sharp, produces dull-looking photos. Avoid.
Pentax M 28mm f/2.8 (version 2) - sharper and better contrast than v1 but still not great. Noticeable distortion. I sold mine.
Pentax A 28mm f/2.8 - not sharp wide open but good by f/4 and good colour & contrast. Excellent stopped down. The most horrendous bokeh I've ever seen. I have one and I'm not sure if I'll sell it or not.
I had to grin when I read this. Opinions and experience with the M, A, and F 28/2.8 are so varied to the point where I wonder if there were not manufacturing issues. It may be good to note that these lenses were not sold as premium product and were actually priced at about the same level as competing Vivitar. Back in the day, I opted for the Tamron 02B over the Pentax-M based on magazine reviews despite the Tamron costing 2x more.

The comment regarding nasty bokeh pretty much sums up 28mm FF lenses in general. OOF rendering was not one of the design goals for lenses that were being used primarily for landscape, architecture, and street photography.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-20-2016 at 07:40 PM.
11-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Just make sure the 24 3.5 focuses to Infinity and doesn't stop a hair short !!! I have one that doesn't and its a disappointment. I also have one that does and its extremely sharp and contrast is beautiful..
11-20-2016, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I had to grin when I read this. Opinions and experience with the M, A, and F 28/2.8 is so varied to the point where I wonder if there were not manufacturing issues. It may be good to note that these lenses were not sold as premium product and were actually priced at about the same level as competing Vivitar. Back in the day, I opted for the Tamron 02B over the Pentax-M based on magazine reviews despite the Tamron costing 2x more.
Yep as well as the K28/3.5, it was priced more as a budget lens when I bought it, than a pro. It was also the only 28mm K-Mount available in 1975. (The K28/2 & K30/2.8 came in 1976)

Phil.
11-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I am very happy with mine. This must be variation in samples.
11-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #30
Pentaxian

From what I've tried.
The K24/2.8 is better on FF (K1 and A7K) than the K24/3.5 despite my hopes that the latter would be better with the better build quality and number of lens elements.

K28/3.5 ranks as the best I've tried.
M28/3.5 is not bad, but field curvature is much larger and it looses out in the extreme corners.
K24/2.8 is not bad (after an infinity adjustment for its use on K1). - Good enough that I gave up the thought of buying a Zeiss 25
I await the new DFA wide lens coming in 2017.

Forget about the Sigma 24/1.8 and 28/1.8.
These are precisely the wrong way lenses should be made.
Spec monsters that look good on paper with the wideness yet fast aperture.
Big, no nice bokeh at wide apertures and not sharp once off center for f8 work.

24mm gets wide, while 28mm feels more 'normal wide'.
In many cases, I can get away with 24mm being my widest, but less so with the 28mm.
This has to do with subject matter/location too, as natural landscapes and big places may get away with 28mm being the widest, while a mix of cityscapes or places that can get a visual anchor in the distance can often use a wide lens.

Last edited by pinholecam; 11-20-2016 at 07:00 PM.