Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I had to grin when I read this. Opinions and experience with the M, A, and F 28/2.8 are so varied to the point where I wonder if there were not manufacturing issues. It may be good to note that these lenses were not sold as premium product and were actually priced at about the same level as competing Vivitar. Back in the day, I opted for the Tamron 02B over the Pentax-M based on magazine reviews despite the Tamron costing 2x more.

The comment regarding nasty bokeh pretty much sums up 28mm FF lenses in general. OOF rendering was not one of the design goals for lenses that were being used primarily for landscape, architecture, and street photography.

Steve
Great to hear about your views there on these lens. I have used my 02b lens for landscape and a general lens. I believe its a step up in someways. What else have you learned about the 02B in your years of use?

11-21-2016, 03:47 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It seems 28mm is a bit out of grace these days. Hardly any new 28's are introduced. Maybe the distance is too well covered by zooms. And 24 seems to be the new 28 en 20 the new 24. I wonder what Pentax will do as there are two wide angle primes on the roadmap. 28-24 28-20 or 24- 20.
11-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camerasup Quote
What else have you learned about the 02B in your years of use?
There is not much more that I can add except that 28mm is sort of a clumsy focal length for me on APS-C.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe the distance is too well covered by zooms. And 24 seems to be the new 28 en 20 the new 24.
I think you hit it with the statement regarding zooms. As for 24 being the new 28 and so on, as with all primes, it depends on the subject. I have been shooting 35mm FF for almost half a century and have seldom felt a need to shoot wider than 28mm except for novelty effect. Good rectilinear 20mm and 24mm lenses have been and continue to be fairly expensive and/or unacceptably heavy/bulky. All those factors have conspired to keep them out of my bag.

Steve
11-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I wonder what Pentax will do as there are two wide angle primes on the roadmap. 28-24 28-20 or 24- 20.
Yeah, some months ago they sent out polls about what kind of 24mm and 28mm lens people would be interested in. I hope they actually go through with this and make some nice primes in that focal range.
I find 28mm to be a decent FoV, both on FF as APSC. But what kind of features, optical design Pentax will produce is anyone's guess! I was excited for it, but since nothing materialized in such a long time, I filled the gaps with legacy or third party lenses

11-21-2016, 03:40 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I have both focal lengths... “Friendly Lady” (Pentax-A 24mm F2.8) and my aptly named "Street Lady" (Pentax-A 28mm F2.8).

I have some "silly names" for my 28's -

[I have since replaced the K-mount "Ringo" with a Ka-mount "Ringo".]

My K 24/2.8 in unnamed, however...

Last edited by fwcetus; 11-21-2016 at 03:53 PM.
11-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
how about 'Yoko' ?
11-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, so that Ringo was just lucky to be there, too!

11-21-2016, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

There is not much more that I can add except that 28mm is sort of a clumsy focal length for me on APS-C.

I think you hit it with the statement regarding zooms. As for 24 being the new 28 and so on, as with all primes, it depends on the subject. I have been shooting 35mm FF for almost half a century and have seldom felt a need to shoot wider than 28mm except for novelty effect. Good rectilinear 20mm and 24mm lenses have been and continue to be fairly expensive and/or unacceptably heavy/bulky. All those factors have conspired to keep them out of my bag.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah, some months ago they sent out polls about what kind of 24mm and 28mm lens people would be interested in. I hope they actually go through with this and make some nice primes in that focal range.
I find 28mm to be a decent FoV, both on FF as APSC. But what kind of features, optical design Pentax will produce is anyone's guess! I was excited for it, but since nothing materialized in such a long time, I filled the gaps with legacy or third party lenses
Man people seem to want as wide as they can get for what they're willing to pay and go for 24mm (or wider) rather than 28mm. I feel that's the wrong approach - use the focal length appropriate to the subject. I also find that 28mm is a good focal length on both APS-C and FF (film, in my case) and wider than 28mm (FF) is for very particular subects. In other words, 28mm is the widest lens I'd be happy with as a walk-about lens.

I have the same feeling about the 15mm and 21mm limited lenses on APS-C - 21mm is a good general use wide angle while 15mm is for exceptional use when the scene demands.

I think Pentax could benefit a lot from a good modern 28mm prime for the digital FF, and also 24mm and 20mm. The camera is marketed as a landscape photographer's dream and wide-angle primes would go perfectly with that.
11-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #39

Original Poster

Steve
Yes shooting a 28mm has been a small challenge for me at times when I needed more of a wide view. My 28mm was as wide of a prime as I could afford at the time. Just started shooting my k24 3.5 today and its amazing. Just the right amount FoV for my camera. Going to have some good times. Will post a pic soon.

---------- Post added 11-21-16 at 11:13 PM ----------

Nice pictures of your lenses! I'm going call my K24mm 3.5 "Lucky Lady"

---------- Post added 11-21-16 at 11:18 PM ----------

Yes shooting a 28mm has been a small challenge for me at times when I needed more of a wide view. My 28mm was as wide of a prime as I could afford at the time. Just started shooting my k24 3.5 today and its amazing. Just the right amount FoV for my camera. Going to have some good times. Will post a pic soon.

---------- Post added 11-21-16 at 11:13 PM ----------

Nice pictures of your lenses! Nice names too.. I am still looking for a "John" myself lol. I'm going call my K24mm 3.5 "Lucky Lady"
11-22-2016, 12:47 AM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
So who were these lads then?
11-22-2016, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #41
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm going call my K24mm 3.5 "Lucky Lady"
So it's not just me then, this naming virus is spreading...
11-22-2016, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #42

Original Poster
Lucky Lady captures the view after sunset on Nov 21st, 2016

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 10:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Just make sure the 24 3.5 focuses to Infinity and doesn't stop a hair short !!! I have one that doesn't and its a disappointment. I also have one that does and its extremely sharp and contrast is beautiful..
Yes I believe mine is able to focus to infinity. Check out this new landscape picture I just took yesterday with it.