Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
16-50 gross AF inaccuracy in PDAF - only in some AF points?

Hi,

I am having trouble with the accuracy of the vertically distributed AF points on the AF 16-50 / K-3. Everything in the horizontal center line is fine (see below; green - ok, red - grossly off).
The contrast AF turns out fine, so it's not the optics.

The inaccuracy is very severe, beyond what could be corrected with microadjustments.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Attached Images

11-18-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other lenses work ok?
11-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Other lenses work ok?
They do.
11-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The AF points are in the camera. But calibration data is in the lens. Did you ever back up your lensrom file?

Do you have access to pull the lensrom file? You do it the same way you convert to screw drive. If damaged it can screw up focusing from what I have seen people post. Each is unique to your lens. A few people have used others files when desperate.

11-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The AF points are in the camera. But calibration data is in the lens. Did you ever back up your lensrom file?

Do you have access to pull the lensrom file? You do it the same way you convert to screw drive. If damaged it can screw up focusing from what I have seen people post. Each is unique to your lens. A few people have used others files when desperate.
Thanks. I will look into the rom file. The error is consistent, so maybe I can recalibrate it.
Hell, maybe I will even contact Ricoh tech support. My first instinct was to come here...
11-18-2016, 11:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

how good is the lighting during your tests? are you outside in good light? or indoors with a screen
11-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
how good is the lighting during your tests? are you outside in good light? or indoors with a screen
Happens in both cases. I have some outdoors shots that were grossly off. They are off enough that even at f8, the shots aren't sharp. All fine with the center focus.
I have a feeling occasionally they turn out fine, but it's almost as if that's because AF missed in those cases, just in the correct direction.

11-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The few cases of damaged files I have heard of gave focus problems at various focal lengths and distances. I don't recall the problem involving the focus point used. I could be sending you down the wrong path.
11-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

if i were in your position i'd convert to screw drive and re-test.
11-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
if i were in your position i'd convert to screw drive and re-test.
That is certainly a doable thing. I don't know that I've ever heard of this type of behavior from failing SDM however. I'd love to see the lens tested on another camera myself.