Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, 16mm on APS-C has the same FOV as 24mm on 35mm FF. (16 * 1.5 = 24)

Steve
Thanks for the math Steve. I was just so curious if the lenses specifically made for APS-C were comparable to the FF lenses at a given focal length (both lenses set at same focal length digit) if both were used on the same type camera body as far as FOV being revealed.

So, if I ever wanted to get a K-1, it would reveal the non-crop of the 24-70 giving me the similar FOV I get with my 16 on my APS-C camera now.

Thanks again for answering my question.

---------- Post added 11-19-16 at 07:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Yes, FF is the standard and APS-C is simply adopting that standard but is clearly a different sensor size (hence altering the FoV outcome).

Change to FF sensor and you get the correct FoV reported for that lens.
Thank you so much.

11-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
So, if I ever wanted to get a K-1, it would reveal the non-crop of the 24-70 giving me the similar FOV I get with my 16 on my APS-C camera now.
Yes. And one other thing to note. Your depth of field will also get narrower on the FF. But don't worry about that, it is an advantage in so many ways.

On an aside, many have pointed out that APS-C is awesome for wildlife (long focal lengths), with specific reference to the K3. So having an APS-C in the bag for wildlife shooting might be an advantage.

The FF is awesome for landscape and portrait. Whether the FF is awesome for wildlife or not (or is as awesome as the K3) is a question I am yet to conclude on. For this reason alone I still have a K3 in addition to the K1, with the K3 being my backup (the K1 is a really awesome camera).

Thank you so much.

You are welcome
11-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone. You have answered my questions.
11-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks Adam. Would the 24 on a Full Frame camera be comparable to what I see on my APS camera using my 16?
Yes, it should be very close.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, it should be very close.
Thank you Adam.