Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Why so many FA limiteds for sale?

I admit that I don't really know the patterns for what lenses get sold and how often, but lately it feels like a lot of folks are unloading their FA limiteds (31, 43, 77). Or am I imagining things?

I would think that with the introduction of the K-1 these would be very coveted 'keeper' lenses. Are they not as good on digital, in terms of resolution or something else? Or is Ricoh showing some D FA Limiteds around the corner?

11-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or it could be folks just need money for holiday buying???
11-21-2016, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They're just fine on the K-1 in my experience, and all indications seem that Ricoh is going to continue to produce the original FA Limiteds, so that theory doesn't seem to hold up either.

Perhaps it's the continued high price of the K-1? People who were planning to pick up the K-1 'for a song' and selling the Limiteds out of disappointment?

Or maybe people are simply satisfied by the new D FA zooms? I've considered selling my 31-43-77 primes in order to exchange them for the D FA 24-70, but it doesn't seem special enough to do that.
11-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Not a single one on KEH.com or on B&H and Adorama's used inventory for sale. So I am not sure where they are being unloaded. If I did not already have similar focal length DA limiteds I would be interested in the FA limiteds.

11-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just my imagination, then. Fenwoodian is probably right.

There have been a cluster of FA limiteds up for sale here in the last few days and it kind of stood out to me. Got to thinking maybe some replacements were in the works.

Saw a couple on LensAuthority recently, too.
11-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a fairly constant inventory of one or two each in the Marketplace; sometimes sellers Bump their threads competitively so it might feel like there is a flurry of selling at some points in time.
11-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Just my imagination, then. Fenwoodian is probably right.

There have been a cluster of FA limiteds up for sale here in the last few days and it kind of stood out to me. Got to thinking maybe some replacements were in the works.

Saw a couple on LensAuthority recently, too.
I had the same feeling... Still, the prices do not seem to be dropping. I saw limiteds for less on this forum in the past...

11-21-2016, 07:03 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
Are they not as good on digital, in terms of resolution or something else?
Not that I've noticed.

FA31

FA43

FA77

11-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Perhaps it's the continued high price of the K-1?
All things being relative, of course. It's more expensive than a K-3 (and superior too) but much less expensive than a comparable Canikon ff body.
11-22-2016, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The fact that a lens is a good lens doesn't mean you can justify owning it.

Since I bought my K-1 and started using my FA 50 macro as a walk around, there are at least 3 other lenses that are pretty much redundant and I could just sell. My 18-135, I bought the K-1 for landscape, the 18-135 was my initial landscape lens, I carried the Sigma 70 macro, it's also been totally replaced by the FA. And I've hardly used my FA 50 1.7. I could sell all three of those lenses, just based on the fact that, I'm not using them.

As you acquire stuff, you buy stuff that suits your needs and it makes stuff you used before redundant. If you are aware of what's first out of the bag, it's only a mater of time. I think that's especially true of high end items where you can actually generate some coin for new purposes by selling. I recently sold 2 18-55s to a dealer for not much at all. For the money I could get for them, it's not worth the effort of trying to sell them.

The guys who are using them even two or three times a month aren't selling them.
11-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
All things being relative, of course. It's more expensive than a K-3 (and superior too) but much less expensive than a comparable Canikon ff body.
I think most people are upgrading from Pentax APS-C cameras, rather than Nikon or Canon cameras.