Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

FA 31, FA 77, DA* 300 are magic

FA 35mm if you get a good deal can provide 95% of the FA 31 IMO for a lot less money ... the FA 31 just has that extra quality (inc build), particularly in the OOF areas and the rendering/colours which is hard to describe and is potentially worth it, if you enjoy this FL

11-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I hate these posts ! I mainly take landscape shots. I don't take many wide angles, staying mostly in the 30-77 mm range, so the 31 and 77 have always been extremely tempting.

I often take shots into the sun or where the light is a significant part of the frame and I do have a tendency to look at the edges of the frame when I'm assessing my images. I'm rarely too concerned about deep DOF, preferring to stay in the f5.6 to f11 range (FF), so most lenses should be at their best in this range.

The 31 and 77 clearly have a great following, but many of the images will show a dreamy portrait, or central subject. OK now folk will be rushing to their landscape shots to prove these work too, but do they at large print size ? Will the magic of these lenses show up in the type of landscape shots I take when printed at A2 to A1 size ?

At the moment I'm struggling to love the DFA 24-70. The move from DA primes and DA* on a pair of K-3s at low ISO to a K-1/24-70 has not been smooth. Yes I have more to work with and greater flexibility with the K-1 but I'm finding that I'm also carrying a K-3 too and often preferring the shots from this. I wish I could decide whether to try the 31/77, albeit with the loss of zoom capability, especially as we're getting towards the holiday present season ...Maybe I could then love my K-1 and move off the K-3 ...
Buy, Borrow or rent... it's the only way you are going to know.

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 06:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
FA 31, FA 77, DA* 300 are magic

FA 35mm if you get a good deal can provide 95% of the FA 31 IMO for a lot less money ... the FA 31 just has that extra quality (inc build), particularly in the OOF areas and the rendering/colours which is hard to describe and is potentially worth it, if you enjoy this FL
FA 35 wide open is sharper across the frame than the FA 31 - plenty of test data to show this - but as someone else remarked there is more to the FA 31 than that. I do however think the FA 35 is a great lens that should get recommended more often.
11-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I do however think the FA 35 is a great lens that should get recommended more often.
Agreed.

I bought one to go on my Sony A7 because my Sigma 35 Art is K mount and has no aperture ring.

It's sensational for its size, and not just my opinion. Pinholecam, one of this forum's very best photographers, came over from Singapore and rode a bicycle for a week in Western Australia.

He decided to carry the extra weight of the K-1 as a body, but went small for the lenses, and used just three ... the M20, FA35 and FA77.
11-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Agreed.

I bought one to go on my Sony A7 because my Sigma 35 Art is K mount and has no aperture ring.

It's sensational for its size, and not just my opinion. Pinholecam, one of this forum's very best photographers, came over from Singapore and rode a bicycle for a week in Western Australia.

He decided to carry the extra weight of the K-1 as a body, but went small for the lenses, and used just three ... the M20, FA35 and FA77.
I sometimes carried the DA 15, FA 35, and FA 77 or DA 70 - I understand that attitude. What's interesting is I never really loved my DA 35. The FA 35 was an afterthought after I had my DA 40 and sold my DA 35. I really did not expect much difference - but there is. It's hard to explain. My copy is now manual focus only after a mishap but that works on mirrorless...

11-22-2016, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's hard not to love the FA31.

K20D, FA31

I haven't shot with an FA77 - and might be interested in trying one, except I already have an A*85, and there actually are limits to my needs!

Last edited by Sluggo; 12-03-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fix image link
11-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
except I already have an A*85
Lucky SoB!
11-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Yeah, it's hard not to love the FA31.

K20D, FA31

I haven't shot with an FA77 - and might be interested in trying one, except I already have an A*85, and there actually are limits to my needs!
Lucky SoB!
I sold my A* 85 and bought the FA 77 and FA 31 with the money. I think I came out OK on that deal. For me the aging eyesight made the A* 85 hard to enjoy. Gorgeous lens - sharp sharp sharp, but hard to get focus without a lot lot lot of effort for me. The FA 77 is a mini-clone - not as fast or as long but SHARP and similar rendering.

I owned that A* for over 20 years. But in the end it went to a good home.

11-23-2016, 12:40 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

I owned that A* for over 20 years. But in the end it went to a good home.
Good to know. LeRolls is shooting now with the FA*85 in his portraits rather than the 77 and as always, the colours and tones are terrific.

11-23-2016, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to know. LeRolls is shooting now with the FA*85 in his portraits rather than the 77 and as always, the colours and tones are terrific.
True. He and I spoke about it. He says it has really been a good change and reduced his post processing time. However remember that the FA* 85 is a very different lens optically than the A*. The FA* is a bit dreamy wide open at close distances - the A* is razor sharp. Not sure if everyone would love the A* but I did. The 77 is close so the change was worth it to pick up autofocus etc.
12-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #25

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Quick and rather sad update. While the 31mm sharpness initially improved after micro-adjusting, once I began really shooting with it, the images were very muddy. I ended up returning it where LR found that it contained a de-centered element. Very frustrating. I did get some wonderful portraits with the 77mm, but I'm pretty bummed. QC issues are a real pain. Both copies I received were AIV, rather than MIJ. Probably going to rent the Sigma 35mm f1.4 for the Christmas holidays, but it's SUCH a heavy beast.