Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uh, last I checked, we are in a thread talking about a particular piece of equipment located in a forum dedicated to talking about equipment.

I have no idea what you are on about with your "a piece of rock" gibberish.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
I have not tried yet tried to take pictures with a piece of rock. It is sad that you have to rely on and only talk about equipment.

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 12:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You made the statement, why should I try and prove you wrong? You've got this backwards. After all the testing I've done I would never say something as daft as "old glass doesn't compare with new."

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/312892-your...mm-images.html

Research convinced me that given choice between old and new a full 66% preferred the rendering of an older lenses than new. My conclusion is, to comment on lenses, you can't use assumptions, based on anything other than image comparisons. SO what I'm saying here is , some folks are going to prefer the rendering of the FA*28-70, in some of my tests a few people have preferred the images of the 18-55 kit lens, I bet a lot more will prefer the rendering of an FA*.

If some reader is one of those that prefers the look of the FA*28-70, I hope he isn't influenced by your post.

Now if you have some new information that would suggest a certain person won't like an FA* over a newer version, let us have a look. By the way, test chart evaluation is completely un-related to whether or not a person enjoys an image, as far as I can tell, as are DxO evaluations. They measure what they can measure, but it would seem, in many case they aren't measuring what's important to people. It's how everything works together that's important to people, not how good the little bits are.

The funny thing is, he talks out of both sides of his mouth on both the quality of images produced by old gear and on the topic of "relying on gear" to improve results which apparently makes me "sad."

Some actual quotes in which he makes a statement that completely contradicts what he is doing here:

"I have a small collection of SMC-M fixed FL lenses - 28 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4 & f/1.7, 55 f/1.8, 135 f/3.5. I don't normally use them as I am primarily a zoom user. However, I picked this bad habit of pursuing high resolution as a result of using Pixel Shift on my K-3II, I played with the above lenses just to see what they can offer. With aperture in the range of f/8 and f/11, these old SMC-M are unbelievably good. The best part is that the edges and corners are completely sharp with no distortion. I don't know if the performance is due to FF design or these old lenses are simply this good." 11-09-16

and

"
[I]I am a 1.2 systems person, meaning that I have my main Pentax system and also an Olympus m43 system. While the m43 is quite capable and can produce good results, it is not the system I turn to when I want something done with high degree of confidence. I mainly used the m43 when I don't want to bring the Pentax for reasons such as security and/or size. YMMV.
I had a Kx back in 2010; it is a very good camera. The lack of focus point indicators and rather loud mirror/shutter are the main weaknesses IMO. I have since upgraded to a K-5, then K-5IIs and now K-3II. I have no desire for K-1 because of the size especially for the lenses. I travel quite frequently and so size and weight are important factors for me. I also had a K-S2 for a short while. I like it a lot, especially the articulating screen. I replaced it with K-3II because of the pixel shift technology. The gain in IQ far outweighs losing the articulating screen. The AF in K-3II is a huge improvement over K-x.
I'd recommend K-3II if you want pixel shift and don't need a flash. I now actually like the built-in GPS because it allows me to pin point the locations of pictures taken. If you want the ultimate IQ and don't mind the weight, K-1 is your best option." 8-16-16

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-26-2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Inflammatory comment removed.
11-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Because when you assume you make an ass out of u and me...
11-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #18
Forum Member

You were referring to the build quality, but not the optical quality as if build quality magically correlates with optical quality.

I did not say anything bad about fixed FL, only older zooms. Read carefully. I think I have successfully ruined your little dream land, and so now you have to twist what I said in the past. Now that is truly sad.
11-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #19
Forum Member

This is a bad comparison as some pointed out in the thread. If this is the best you can do, oh well.

11-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This has gotten a little ridiculous. If you've never owned/used the FA* 28-70, keep your opinions to yourself, as you really have no idea how it handles.

As for the OP's original inquiry, it's a fantastic lens! FA* series lenses are amazing. I was lucky enough to score the 28-70 f/2.8 locally. I use it A LOT to shoot concerts, wide open, it's sharp as sh*t. I actually sold my FA 31 after using this one for a few months.

11-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #21
Forum Member

I based my opinion on two older Pentax zooms - 70-210 f/4 and 80-200 f/2.8. I had them but sold them. Now I have Pentax 50-135 and Sigma 70-200. These contemporary lenses are better than the old ones. My opinion is not completely baseless as some suggested.

Kameko, your pictures are nice but not "out of this world", which was what I used as my criterion in my first post. My comment was for the OP - do not look for pixie dust as there are none. It is the skills in a photographer that make magic. Lenses and cameras are equipment. Kameko, I am sure you can take nice pictures with a variety of lenses, not just the 28-70.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-26-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Inflammatory comment removed.
11-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #22
Pentaxian

No mater how many lenses you own, there are folks on the forum who own more. Just saying, it's a stupid argument. And no matter how many lenses you own, you don't own the lens under discussion. Any fool can come into a thread about older glass, and say 'Just buy the newest most expensive." That takes no knowledge at all.

Personally I'm quite happy with what i learned about this lens in this discussion.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-26-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Inflammatory comments removed.
11-24-2016, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

The funny thing is he made the decsion to come into a thread with a title asking for advice about a lens he now admits he knows absolutely nothing about and has no experience with just to slag on that lens and tell people who actually own it that their opinion is wrong, leveled personal insults, demanded others perform tests for his sake, and then tried to squirm out of it by saying that equipment doesn't matter anyway, and that those who actually did post examples and opinions lack talent.

And did I mention that he himself has never posted an example of his work to the forum, so we just have to take his word for it on what exactly his artistic and technical standards are?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-26-2016 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Inflammatory comment removed.
11-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
I actually sold my FA 31 after using this one for a few months
HERESY! Hmmmm...I may need to check this lens out. I've got an FA 31 too. I've been looking for a nice zoom but am not ready to spend over $1,000 on the new D FA model. Your pictures have convinced me
11-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Newbies need to understand, no matter what you think you know, there's folks who know more than you do on any given topic. You compose your posts fishing for information, not proclaiming how it is for all the great unwashed.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-26-2016 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Quotation removed.
11-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
The seller either retracted the lens, or another Pentaxian came to his/her senses more quickly than I did.
When you see a good lens at a price lower than the market, buy it, and if you don't like it, resell it later
11-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please keep this thread on topic, or I'll have to close it.
11-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I WAS interested in reading about the FA*28~70.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-26-2016 at 08:38 PM.
11-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I WAS interested in reading about the FA*28~70.
So was I!
11-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Believe it or not, so was I too!