Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon to Pentax Adapter

Fellow Pentaxians, forgive my ignorance. I was given a Sigma lens for Nikon Mount by a family member as follows:

Sigma Telephoto 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF .

This is a huge hunk of glass & probably has some value. Problem is, I don't own a Nikon camera. Is there such a thing as a Nikon to Pentax adapter? I know he thought he was doing me a great favor, so I just grinned and sheepishly accepted it with great thanks, and tucked it away in my suitcase. I knew it wouldn't mount on my Pent K-mount, but thought there might be a way to adapt and use manually?? Any help here?

07-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterbob Quote
Fellow Pentaxians, forgive my ignorance. I was given a Sigma lens for Nikon Mount by a family member as follows:

This is a huge hunk of glass & probably has some value. Problem is, I don't own a Nikon camera. Is there such a thing as a Nikon to Pentax adapter? I know he thought he was doing me a great favor, so I just grinned and sheepishly accepted it with great thanks, and tucked it away in my suitcase. I knew it wouldn't mount on my Pent K-mount, but thought there might be a way to adapt and use manually?? Any help here?
Adapt it to Pentax doesnt really worth it (actually I dont if it is possible). I would give you 500USD for the lens

Seriously, if I had that lens for Nikon I would seriously consider to sell my pentax equipment and move to Nikon, or even better sell the lens for 2-3K USD and then reinvert that money.
07-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That's a wonderful lens Bob,

I may be wrong, however I don't believe there is an adapter.

If I was you I'd almost go on a Nikon forum, and ask if someone had a Pentax mount lens to trade.

Lots of luck with it
07-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The Nikon registration distance is about 1mm longer than Pentax, so it should, theoretically, be possible to adapt the lens to Pentax.
Honestly though, you would be better served by buying a Nikon body to use that lens on rather than farting around with adapters, the loss of features that goes along with them, and the usual butchery that has to be done to the lens to make the adapter work.

07-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would definitely get a Nikon body if I were you. This is an extraordinary lens--read here:

FM Reviews - 500mm f4.5 EX Apo HSM

Regards
07-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thats an awesome lens! and phenomenal gift! I'd buy nikon D60 for around $600and use that combo for wildlife
07-30-2008, 04:10 PM   #7

You can try one of these:
Nikon lens to Pentax, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo items on eBay.com

I have no idea about the resulting image quality, but I'd be suprised if it's any good. Still, might be worth trying for $50. Please post some pictures if you get one.
07-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Though given a lack of contacts, this would seem to make the lens fully manual.

07-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

wonder what the "with correctional lens built-in, allow infinity focus" does to the IQ?

I have 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/2, 105/2.5 & 80-200/2.8 (a Tokina) Ais lenses which I'd love to bolt on to my K10D.
07-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by walter Quote
You can try one of these:
Nikon lens to Pentax, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo items on eBay.com

I have no idea about the resulting image quality, but I'd be suprised if it's any good. Still, might be worth trying for $50. Please post some pictures if you get one.
I'd be really surprised if it gave better results than just putting a Coke bottle bottom in front of the camera.
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #11

I was given a Sigma lens for Nikon Mount by a family member
Did it come with a gift receipt? If so, see if you can return it for a full refund or exchange with Pentax lenses and a gift certificate.
If they didn't give you a gift receipt, perhaps you could ask them to get one for you, say for warranty purposes.