Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Irix 15mm F2.4 Now Available for Pentax

I just came across the announcement of the Samyang 20 f1.8 ED for Pentax and the Irix 15mm f2.4 currently on display in the front page of Pentax forum.
Just wondering at what date will Ricoh imaging issue a press release to announce their set of full frame primes. How many sales would Ricoh miss by postponing the release of prime lenses for the Pentax K1 ?

If you buy a Samyang or Irix now, would that mean that when a Pentax AF equivalent will be on sale you are much less likely to buy one?

11-22-2016, 03:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I just came across the announcement of the Samyang 20 f1.8 ED for Pentax and the Irix 15mm f2.4 currently on display in the front page of Pentax forum.
Just wondering at what date will Ricoh imaging issue a press release to announce their set of full frame primes. How many sales would Ricoh miss by postponing the release of prime lenses for the Pentax K1 ?
"2017 or later"

I don't think they're missing out on much since there aren't really any AF primes available from anyone else (the Sigma 35mm F1.4 is the only one available new), but I agree that it sure would be nice!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2016, 03:03 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the Pentax primes will be autofocus, Biz-engineer. They will have a very distinct point of difference.

11-22-2016, 03:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think the Pentax primes will be autofocus, Biz-engineer. They will have a very distinct point of difference.
Sure. The way I see it is: buy the MF lens now to have fun, and sell it second hand to fund the purchase of the Pentax AF version when it will be out.

11-22-2016, 03:11 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sure. The way I see it is: buy the MF lens now to have fun, and sell it second hand to fund the purchase of the Pentax AF version when it will be out.
Could be.

There are people like me who already have modern Samyang primes.

I look at the pictures posted in the Lens Clubs and others use legacy glass including the little 20mm and the big Zeiss lenses.

But plenty of people don't like manual focus.

Pentax don't need to rush, I don't think Sigma, Tamron or Tokina will try to beat them to market.

Heck, I don't think those companies are interested in any future K-mount stuff, KAF-4 or not.
11-22-2016, 03:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For ultra-wide angle lenses like these, I don't think auto focus is a must by any means. Truthfully, hyper focal focusing works pretty well in most situations and if you are shooting landscape/architecture, using live view and magnification to focus on whatever feature you want to is really easy as well. I somehow doubt that these lenses will be used much for sports, although I could be wrong.
11-22-2016, 04:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For ultra-wide angle lenses like these, I don't think auto focus is a must by any means.
Yeah AF is not necessary IMO at this focal length.

Pentax might bring WR/AW and their coatings to the table, but this Irix looks decent.

Wonder what the coma is like - it might be just the ticket for night/astro photography.

There's a short review here

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/irix-lens-review

It would be interesting to see a three way shootout with these:

Samyang 14 vs Irix 15 vs Pentax 15-30

All have different price points, but are close in aperture.

11-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I were going to guess, I would guess that Pentax would bring out a lens that was a little slower than these two -- maybe 15mm f2.8 or even f4 to hopefully keep size under control.
11-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If I were going to guess, I would guess that Pentax would bring out a lens that was a little slower than these two -- maybe 15mm f2.8 or even f4 to hopefully keep size under control.
"Large Aperture single focus ultra wide-angle lens" suggests otherwise.
11-23-2016, 03:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I must admit the down sides to being a Pentax shooter are really only offset by the smaller quality metal build primes (legacy and new, such as the FA limiteds).... for me. I get the feeling that those type of lenses may be history now.