Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 35mm Art - BF Issue

I have a Sigma 35mm Art for my K-1.
It is back focusing severely enough that I am pegged out on the adjustment of my K-1 and it still isn't enough.

My question is does the Sigma dock offer more adjustability than what the camera offers...or am I stuck having to send it to CRIS for calibration?

11-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dock does offer more adjustment, plus you can stack it with the body's adjustment if need be. How far off is the focus currently?

Cris no longer services Pentax, BTW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The dock does offer more adjustment, plus you can stack it with the body's adjustment if need be. How far off is the focus currently?

Cris no longer services Pentax, BTW.
Thanks for the heads up regarding CRIS.
I wish I had an image to share. But at about 10 feet, it is I would guess about 3 inches back
11-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Thanks for the heads up regarding CRIS.
I wish I had an image to share. But at about 10 feet, it is I would guess about 3 inches back
Is it a FF/BF issue, or is the lens grossly out of focus in traditional Sigma fashion? In the latter case a trip to Sigma would be in order.

The dock may help alleviate the issue since it lets you adjust at different shooting distances.

Ultimately, some lenses are fine while others are way off. It's a rather strange phenomenon!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is it a FF/BF issue, or is the lens grossly out of focus in traditional Sigma fashion? In the latter case a trip to Sigma would be in order.
I guess I am not sure what you mean by "lens grossly out of focus in traditional Sigma fashion"...

It is super sharp wide open when I use focus magnification in live view.
11-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I guess I am not sure what you mean by "lens grossly out of focus in traditional Sigma fashion"...

It is super sharp wide open when I use focus magnification in live view.
The issue tends to affect certain Sigma 18-35/30/35mm lenses in PDAF mode only. Some copies are perfect out of the box, while others need lots of adjusting or even service. We still don't really know why it happens!

Adam