Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

LensRental.com and Pentax lenses

Hi everybody.

One of best if not the best scientific optical tests around the web are made by Robert Cicala.
As he just posted review of new Nikon 70-200 i've asked about pentax lenses.
He repied that they don't have proper mount. And when I insist about how simple KAF worked he wrote:
QuoteQuote:
Well, each mount has to be manufactured optically flat, etc. They cost about $1,000 each. And OLAF is, well non-profit would be a charitable description.
So fellow Pentaxians what can we do to support them of convince them to make proper mount and show them that it will give them that testing Pentax lenses is great idea!
I'm from Poland so far far away from USA but I know that there is lot of USA Pentaxians
What do you think about that idea?
Best!

11-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that they do great tests. But I don't know that I care if they test Pentax or not.
11-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Roger's tests are better than say, DxO, because they're actually doing the lens itself on a bench, not doing measurements on a camera picture (which is a combination of the sensor, lens, and any RAW development, including mirrorless-style software adjustments).

Not sure whether you're suggesting we should get together and pay him $1000, though???
11-24-2016, 03:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
To be honest I think that we as community have to convince them that it will be beneficial for them. They made sony version what involve using A7 body as AF remote control.

11-24-2016, 04:29 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Roger's tests are better than say, DxO, because they're actually doing the lens itself on a bench, not doing measurements on a camera picture
In addition their results are a combination of results from 10 lenses. AFAIK, they are the only ones publishing information gleaned from multiple lenses.
11-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #6

Well, they test only lenses they have in their repertoire, which currently seems to be limited to D-FA 24-70 and D-FA 15-30 (plus D FA 55mm in 645 mount). I'm pretty sure that making a 1000$ mount for only two lenses would not be green-lit by those who are in charge of the money. For them to stock up on Pentax items you'd need to demonstrate demand by renting the heck out of what they've got available.

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
In addition their results are a combination of results from 10 lenses. AFAIK, they are the only ones publishing information gleaned from multiple lenses.
… and that might well be an additional hindrance for them: Do they even have 10 copies of the 2 models they have in K-mount?

Last edited by Le Chuck; 11-26-2016 at 09:21 AM. Reason: forgot a word …
11-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Unless I misunderstood (possible), it seems lensrentals is saying that Pentax is just a small blip on their radar so the testing wouldn't be worthwhile. I think a lot of these tests are technical methods of marketing/advertising for brands. Why? Because people see how much better the new lens is vs the old and they decide the want to rent it to see for themselves.

I don't think there would be a large upswing in rentals for the Pentax 70-200mm if they included it. Since the K mount market is still tiny in comparison to Canon or Nikon.