Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
An interesting thing just happened--I just got a PM from another forum member who's offered to trade me his Tammy 28-75 for my Sigma 17-70, so it looks like I may get to have my constant 2.8 lens cake and eat it too.

Heather
Congrats Heather,
One of my fave lenses in my bag, and my most used... The constant 2.8 thru the zoom range is so nice. That is why I am so wanting to add the 50-135 to my camera... someday!

I think you might just love the 28-75...

07-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Congrats Heather,
One of my fave lenses in my bag, and my most used... The constant 2.8 thru the zoom range is so nice. That is why I am so wanting to add the 50-135 to my camera... someday!

I think you might just love the 28-75...
see I guess I am just the oddball here my lens by the way is the one in the swap I never really got to love the lens and I have enough primes that if I am shotting at night that i need the extra stops I have that option. I am looking forward to the sigma may make my travel kit decisions a little easier
07-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #18
Igilligan

sounds like a good swap for you then

The 17-70 is supposed to be a great travel kit lens... WIN WIN for both of you.

I like my 28-75 because it is the length that works for me (not a wide shooter) and I find it performs equal to most of my primes and sharper than many at F2.8.
But that is only my experience...

If I was going to grab a kit lens for travel I think the 17-70 would be high on that list. The photos I have seen from it are very good.
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
The 17-70 is supposed to be a great travel kit lens... WIN WIN for both of you.

I like my 28-75 because it is the length that works for me (not a wide shooter) and I find it performs equal to most of my primes and sharper than many at F2.8.
But that is only my experience...

If I was going to grab a kit lens for travel I think the 17-70 would be high on that list. The photos I have seen from it are very good.
if you have a good copy of Sigma 17-70 - I have sent mine to their service
center immediately upon arrival thinking that I am better off w/ service from Sigma and not replacement from the dealer.

07-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
For a little bit, I debated swapping the 17-70 for the 28-75, but with the ExposurePlot scans, I felt more confident that I was doing the right thing. Both the 28-75 and the 14-24 that I will be getting will have specific purposes, so I don't think I'll be changing out lenses all the time when I travel.

When I went to Tennessee in May and visited several waterfalls, I found myself wishing that that I had something a bit wider than 17mm, so the 14-24 will be perfect for those types of outings.

One thing that the Sigma 50-150 has going for it that Pentax doesn't is that it will work with the Sigma TCs.

As it turns out, I may actually be getting some overtime at work. If everything works out, I'll be getting 10 hours per week for 3 weeks at the end of August-early Sept. With what I make at time & a half, it should be just about enough after taxes to buy either the 50-135 or Sigma 50-150, if I should so desire. I could also put that money towards another body (ie K20) or towards the the photo workshop I want to go to next spring. Anyway, assuming that the powers that be don't sit on the paperwork for too long, I would hope to find out something by the end of next week. Keep your fingers crossed.

Heather
07-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
your fish was ISO200 @ K10D and that animal ISO100 @ K10D ? you could use higher ISO then... I 'd risk 400-800 and something like noiseninja if necessary.
I got to thinking and realized that Noise Ninja is a lot cheaper than a new lens--$80 for NN Pro Bundle vs. $750+ for a lens.

If I get that overtime, if I'm going to choose between a new lens and a new body, perhaps a new body (K20) would be a better choice, since the K20 has less issues with noise than the K10. As a result, I won't be quite as afraid to crank up the ISO when I need to.

Frankly, other than a small WA prime (perhaps the Zenitar 16 FE), I don't know that I really want to buy any more lenses after all. Considering that I may keep the K10 as a second body when I get the K20, my camera bag will be getting pretty full and I don't want to have to go out and buy another one.

Heather
07-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I don't know that I really want to buy any more lenses after all.

Looks like there is a cure to LBA ... you must share your secret
07-31-2008, 11:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Tokina 50-135 /2.8 - is full analog of Pentax 50-135* /2.8 without water proof

08-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Looks like there is a cure to LBA ... you must share your secret
I'm not sure what my secret is...perhaps I've come to my senses. All this lens collecting reminds me of eating; you can get so full that no matter what anybody puts in front of you, you absolutely don't want another bite, even though it looks so good. That's how I've gotten to feel with regards to my lenses. If you look at my sig and replace the 17-70 with the 28-75 and add the 12-24, basically that's how I want my lens kit to look. The only other item I might add would be a prime in the range of 18-24/2.8 or the Zenitar fisheye.

I need to get to know my lenses better, so if I don't buy any more, there aren't any more to learn. I need to figure out how I can get the most out of what I have using tools like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, and flash--I definitely want a TTL flash, which would make using a flash easier. If it's easier to use, then I'm more likely to use it.

Heather
08-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I need to get to know my lenses better, so if I don't buy any more, there aren't any more to learn. I need to figure out how I can get the most out of what I have using tools like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, and flash--I definitely want a TTL flash, which would make using a flash easier. If it's easier to use, then I'm more likely to use it.
Wise words Heather.

after receiving my 16-50mm early next week I really need to do the same and end my LBA and get some actual real shooting done to compliment and learn more about the capablities of my lenses, as well as more experience with my sammy gx20.