Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FOV comparison DA21 on APS-C vs FA31 on K-1/FF

Hi all

I have both lenses but only one body (trusty old K-5), I haven't got around to trying to fix my DA21 focusing issues yet so I've been using primarily the FA31 recently, I do miss the FOV the DA gives though. Now I'm not about to get the K-1, and I'm not sure when I will get the full frame Pentax (I will eventually), but out of curiosity was wondering if the FOV for these two lenses on the respective bodies is similar or not?
David

11-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They are, David.
11-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Close enough you wouldn't notice any difference.
11-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ah thanks, just need to find some time to try and fix this DA then, or save some money to get the FF

11-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
Ah thanks, just need to find some time to try and fix this DA then, or save some money to get the FF
What's wrong with your DA21? I've had mine apart (screws came loose and it self-disassembled).

More info in this thread: HERE
11-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
What's wrong with your DA21? I've had mine apart (screws came loose and it self-disassembled).

More info in this thread: HERE
I'm pretty sure I have this issue: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/121842-prob...-infinity.html
11-27-2016, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

This is the first stage of the problem I had. If the screws are loose, the focus can become off. If they loosen up all the way, the lens separates. Those 3 screws connect the front element to the focusing mechanism and set infinity focus. When they get out of alignment, the focusing will stop before the lens reaches infinity (or can go the other way).

You need to remove the front covers (the first two are held by sticky tape, then the third cover has 3 tiny screws). Don't remove anything on the mount side. If any of the screws is completely out, put it in right away, but not too tight. You may also need to loosen the screws up a little more, but in any case get all three in and a little loose, and then rotate the front element relative to the focus mechanism (I did it by pushing on the screws in the direction of rotation). You should see marks where the screws belong. Once it's back in the right place, tighten up the screws, check for infinity focus. You may need to adjust a little bit one way or the other to get it in the right place.

Once you get infinity back on the mark, remove the screws one at a time and put a drop of thread locker on them, then tighten. It sounds scary, but it's really a very easy repair.

11-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
This is the first stage of the problem I had. If the screws are loose, the focus can become off. If they loosen up all the way, the lens separates. Those 3 screws connect the front element to the focusing mechanism and set infinity focus. When they get out of alignment, the focusing will stop before the lens reaches infinity (or can go the other way).

You need to remove the front covers (the first two are held by sticky tape, then the third cover has 3 tiny screws). Don't remove anything on the mount side. If any of the screws is completely out, put it in right away, but not too tight. You may also need to loosen the screws up a little more, but in any case get all three in and a little loose, and then rotate the front element relative to the focus mechanism (I did it by pushing on the screws in the direction of rotation). You should see marks where the screws belong. Once it's back in the right place, tighten up the screws, check for infinity focus. You may need to adjust a little bit one way or the other to get it in the right place.

Once you get infinity back on the mark, remove the screws one at a time and put a drop of thread locker on them, then tighten. It sounds scary, but it's really a very easy repair.
Thanks for the details, I need to get the right screwdrivers for the job, what kind of tape would you recommend to stick the plates back on with?
11-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks for the details, I need to get the right screwdrivers for the job, what kind of tape would you recommend to stick the plates back on with?
I just stored them carefully so no dirt or hair attached to the tape that was already there, and just re-used it.