Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #151
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
he DFA 150-450. Purchased for GF so she can shoot her passion, critters.

Took awesome pics until the zoom ring locked up.

Sent it in for repair, was told it's unrepairable.
Is there more to this story? Warranty? A reason it couldn't be repaired?

I have considered this lens several times but when I hear so many bad reports it stops me every time. There is no doubt it has better IQ than my Bigma 50-500 OS HSM, but the Bigma is rock solid. It survived a crah off a shelf so severe it pulled the entire mount out of my K5IIs and when I finally got the mount off of it it worked as perfectly as ever. My older model was over 10 years old and still worked like new when I sold it.

I need more confidence before investing $2K for a paperweight! Tell us more about your experience, that sounds devastating.

Regards!

02-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn. I think it's time to make a stink with Ricoh about this. IMO it's inexcusable to be unable to repair a fairly new lens that is still in production.
02-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #153
Pentaxian

I still can't wrap my head around a lens that would cost me close to $3k being unrepairable after a year. Surely that's a design flaw. I mean people are still shooting with FA*250-600s . I'm still shooting occasionally with an old F 70-210. The only lens I have I won't repair is my broken Sigma 70-300, that was 1/10th the price. And i could probably get that repaired, but i could buy a second hand one cheaper.

That's just wrong. I refuse to believe there aren't enough good parts in that lens that with the right components it couldn't be repaired. I will however believe Pentax refuses to supply parts for the lens.

Or in other words declared "unrepairable " because of the inability to get replacement parts for the broken components.

Last edited by normhead; 02-04-2017 at 07:16 PM.
02-04-2017, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #154
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
A lens like that can be improved by simply shooting with the lens cap on.
Fixes vignetting and aberrations instantly.

02-04-2017, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

I have considered this lens several times but when I hear so many bad reports it stops me every time. There is no doubt it has better IQ than my Bigma 50-500 OS HSM, but the Bigma is rock solid. It survived a crah off a shelf so severe it pulled the entire mount out of my K5IIs and when I finally got the mount off of it it worked as perfectly as ever. My older model was over 10 years old and still worked like new when I sold it.

I need more confidence before investing $2K for a paperweight! Tell us more about your experience, that sounds devastating.

Regards!
I purchased it used - like new from B&H and fortunately they refunded me my money so I was not out anything.

However, apparently what happened in this lens is prone to locking up the zoom ring with some portion of the AF element drive. At least I'm guessing that's what happened to me, since the zoom ring locked between 180 and 200 and the focusing elements would no longer align. It was in the shop for two months and B&H said sorry can't repair, we'll give you your money back.

Yay for B&H customer service. However, based on a half dozen(?) similar issues (zoom locking up) mentioned in threads throughout PF, I inclined to think it's a design flaw. I was lucky to get my money back the first time, I'm not chancing it again. Plus we really can't be without a long lens for 2-3 months at a time.[COLOR="Silver"]

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's the trouble with girlfriends, they are so unreasonable.

I bet you wish you'd purchased a 3rd party warranty. I always say, if you can't afford to replace it out of pocket, get the extended warranty.

It is really crappy of Pentax to declare a lens this new "unrepairable" and turn their back on you. You have my sympathy.

How about a Nikon 3400 and Tamron or Sigma 150-600. Those lenses are supposed to be pretty good up to 500mm.
My Tamron 300 2.8 with 1,7x adapter gives me 510mm and ƒ4.5. But it's not full AF. And I have no idea where you'd get a Tamron 300.

You didn't say what you GF is shooting but, be warned, the 1.4 on the K-1 vignettes. I mostly use the 1.7 on my 300 2.8 lens, but the 1.4 and 300 on my K-3 gives me as much if not more. Honesty, 420 and ƒ4 is pretty much to die for.
She uses a K-3. I have the only K-1 and I purchased the 500 specifically for the FF body.

I'm loathe to switch her to Nikon, because technically her kit and mine are interchangeable. I have actually purchased all the lenses and body she carries for my use, save the Sigma 17-70. Thus, She is really using my back-up kit in the event of a total catastrophe. A couple of "her" lenses are even FF to cover my most used range. Between batteries, filters, remotes, matching tripods and heads, there is something to be said for the redundancy.

Last edited by nomadkng; 02-04-2017 at 05:59 PM.
02-04-2017, 07:04 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She uses a K-3. I have the only K-1 and I purchased the 500 specifically for the FF body.

I'm loathe to switch her to Nikon, because technically her kit and mine are interchangeable. I have actually purchased all the lenses and body she carries for my use, save the Sigma 17-70. Thus, She is really using my back-up kit in the event of a total catastrophe. A couple of "her" lenses are even FF to cover my most used range. Between batteries, filters, remotes, matching tripods and heads, there is something to be said for the redundancy.
Edit: never mind, I re-read your original post. She wants a zoom.

Last edited by luftfluss; 02-05-2017 at 10:32 AM.
02-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Yay for B&H customer service.
Yes, you were very fortunate. This sounds too much like my DA*50-135 where the SDM failed three times.....and Pentax never acknowledged any problems. Loved the lens, but hated the poor dependability and service.
I won't be buying a 150-450, just too much risk of future frustration.

Thanks for the information!

Regards!

02-05-2017, 03:00 AM   #158
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by strangeboy Quote
Samyang 35mm f/1.4.
This lens renders beautiful photographs... when in focus. But my copy had focusing issues that I just couldn't correct.

FYI: I often shoot at f/1.2 with other lenses, so I'm familiar with calibration and so on.

With the Samyang, no matter what I did, I could not consistently nail my focus... even at smaller apertures.

I finally gave up.
The Samyang beats the Zeiss ZK 2/35mm at f2 and f2,8, and is one stop faster.
First class optic.
If your lens could take sharp pics, the problem is either on the user side (MF is not second nature, if you started with AF), or the calibration of the infinity stop on the focusing helicoid.
One solution for the former problem is to use live view in enlarged mode (OK button).
The solutions for the infinity calibration are two:
1) when you take a picture at infinity try to learn the right offset, and compensate
2) take the lens to a decent repairman and have the infinity stop adjusted, or just use a small screwdriver and learn how to do it yourself

AF lenses can be compensated in-camera. MF lenses can't. They need to be physically adjusted, if the infinity mark does not correspond to the correct focusing at infinity.
With vintage lenses it is often quite simple, but involves some trial and error and a little of patience
Modern lenses are trickier, sometimes you have to remove the rubber ring cause the tiny screws are underneath.

Just bough one myself, new but kept on display in a brick and mortar shop.
If the infinity is off, i will accept it and have it fixed (or fix it myself).
I suspect that Samyang lenses are not adjusted one by one. You get the lens the way it comes out of the production line.
Considering the price/quality ratio, it's a small price to pay, IMHO.

Ah, almost forgot it...
Normhead, i appreciate your posts, but this time i think you've been quite strict
Don't forget that FAJ zooms were bottom bottom line. I don't even know who really made them.
There are some F and FA zooms that can be had for super cheap, and that would perform adequately on a K-1, especially at central diaphragms.
I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with a Pentax-F 35-70mm or Pentax-F 70-210mm.
Slow AF but sharp enough to allow for decent enlargements.

cheers

Paolo
02-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #159
Pentaxian

Regards!
Hello Rupert
How is the autofocus on the Sigma 50-500? You seem to be very happy with this lens. Like you, I would be using it for birds and various other critters. My budget is not yet there for a $1500 plus lens but I am always looking up the road and saving up. Maybe by then, whatever problem exists with the Pentax 150-450 will be fixed, but even so, I would still consider the sigma.
For now, I got the 55-300 PLM and really like it. When I can get out in some good daylight I will try it with the 1.4 TC and see if it gives good sharpness up to 400 mm. If it does, this may be my solution. I am looking for about 400 mm.
I tried the DA* 200 with the TC and the image quality is good but it is only 280 mm and the autofocus is slower than I like for birds and other critters.
Thanks
02-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Yay for B&H customer service. However, based on a half dozen(?) similar issues (zoom locking up) mentioned in threads throughout PF, I inclined to think it's a design flaw. I was lucky to get my money back the first time, I'm not chancing it again. Plus we really can't be without a long lens for 2-3 months at a time.
So this is a case of a defective lens being returned, that's a completely different story. I returned two Sigma 120-400s, both arrived in an unsatisfactory state, one completely dead on arrival. So should everyone now stop buying Sigma lenses?

If you stop buying lens because they have been defective right from the factory, you won't be buying any lenses. There are no lenses with a 100% non-return rate.

According to lens rentals even $15,000 Canon and Nikon lenses can have issues right out of the box. Personally I tried 2 Sigma 120-400s, because I really wanted that lens to work, but I ended up with a DA*60-250 and 1.7x TC at much greater cost. Getting one defective lens shouldn't be that big a deal.

And given the great things I've heard said on the forum about the 120-400, maybe getting two in a row defective lenses shouldn't either.
02-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Hello Rupert
How is the autofocus on the Sigma 50-500? You seem to be very happy with this lens. Like you, I would be using it for birds and various other critters.
In the past, on my Pentax bodies the Bigma has been slow and frustrating to AF. Lots of hunting and causing much grief at missed shots. On the K1 there is a world of difference.....it is fast and accurate. A real pleasure to use!

These are 99.9% Bigma 50-500 HSM OS shots with the K1. I use the Pentax SR and turn ff the OS.....SR is faster and better IMO.

These shots comprise the Good, Bad, and Ugly......you can decide if they would meet your standards. They are good enough for me, but my little furry buddies tell me I have very low and pathetic standards....so maybe they are right?
Pentax K1 | Flickr

As I have gone along from Page 1 to the last page, my K1/Bigma shooting has improved with experience. ALL of my shots are hand-held and 99% are shot through my office windows...which I keep moderately clean. Outside and with a tripod or monopod, results would undoubtedly improve.

As for dependability.....this is my 2nd Bigma.....the first one I owned 10+ years and never once had the slightest malfunction or other complaint. This newest one seems to be of the same fine quality of construction and I hope will last me a very long time.

Hope this helps answer your inquiry!

Best Regards!
Rupertsq1
02-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ask not what your lens can do for you, but rather what can you do with your lens.

H2 - 02/04/17

With apologies to JFK.
02-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So this is a case of a defective lens being returned, that's a completely different story. I returned two Sigma 120-400s, both arrived in an unsatisfactory state, one completely dead on arrival. So should everyone now stop buying Sigma lenses?

If you stop buying lens because they have been defective right from the factory, you won't be buying any lenses. There are no lenses with a 100% non-return rate.

According to lens rentals even $15,000 Canon and Nikon lenses can have issues right out of the box. Personally I tried 2 Sigma 120-400s, because I really wanted that lens to work, but I ended up with a DA*60-250 and 1.7x TC at much greater cost. Getting one defective lens shouldn't be that big a deal.

And given the great things I've heard said on the forum about the 120-400, maybe getting two in a row defective lenses shouldn't either.
I don't think his issue is that the lens malfunctioned, but that he was told it was "unrepairable" when he sent it in for service.
02-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't think his issue is that the lens malfunctioned, but that he was told it was "unrepairable" when he sent it in for service.
All I'm saying is, same type situation, I just took my lens back to Henry's ad got a different lens. At that point "unrepairable" is a moot point. Under the Henry's return policy I had the ability to return the defective one and ask for a new one.

But I do understand the concern based on the number of other reports of this happening. I'm sure there are many more good copies than bad ones, but, this is the kind of thing you expect to happen to an old lens, not a new lens. That part is disconcerting. There is some kind of issue there. Like SDM, Pentax is not acknowledging it, and not taking responsibility in any way, although, I'm sure this lens is going back to them. There's no way B&H is just taking the loss.

The Pentax policy would make me unlikely to buy the lens unless from a dealer with a clear return policy, were I interested in it. I would want to know if it breaks 25 months from now they are going to look after me. In the past they have not been that kind of company. I shudder to think that there would be a $2500 item that expected to have for the next 20 years that couldn't be repaired, after 9 months. I'd be looking to pay $100 a year for the use of the lens over 20 years. Not two thousand for one year.

The cannot be repaired thing has to be an error. If they are telling me I could bump the lens and it would possibly be un-repairable, given my use, I wouldn't go for that. I dropped my DA* 60-250 5 times and it was still operational and still repairable. That's what I'm looking for.

Last edited by normhead; 02-05-2017 at 10:56 AM.
02-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #165
Pentaxian

In the past, on my Pentax bodies the Bigma has been slow and frustrating to AF. Lots of hunting and causing much grief at missed shots. On the K1 there is a world of difference.....it is fast and accurate. A real pleasure to use!

These are 99.9% Bigma 50-500 HSM OS shots with the K1. I use the Pentax SR and turn ff the OS.....SR is faster and better IMO.

These shots comprise the Good, Bad, and Ugly......you can decide if they would meet your standards. They are good enough for me, but my little furry buddies tell me I have very low and pathetic standards....so maybe they are right?
Pentax K1 | Flickr

As I have gone along from Page 1 to the last page, my K1/Bigma shooting has improved with experience. ALL of my shots are hand-held and 99% are shot through my office windows...which I keep moderately clean. Outside and with a tripod or monopod, results would undoubtedly improve.

As for dependability.....this is my 2nd Bigma.....the first one I owned 10+ years and never once had the slightest malfunction or other complaint. This newest one seems to be of the same fine quality of construction and I hope will last me a very long time.

Hope this helps answer your inquiry!

Best Regards!
Rupert:sq1:
Thanks, your pictures look great to me. I would not expect any sharper than what you are getting. One thing I am curious about is that the AF was so much better on the K-1 than on the K-5. I wonder how the AF would be on my K-3. I know the AF is supposed to be better on the K-3 than the K-5 but that is mainly for screwdrive lenses
You also have better behaved squirrels than I have. Mine seem to like to pull the plastic cover off the peanut box and spill everything on the ground rather than lifting the top cover and reaching in for their treat.