Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2017, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #166
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I know the AF is supposed to be better on the K-3 than the K-5 but that is mainly for screwdrive lenses
You also have better behaved squirrels than I have. Mine seem to like to pull the plastic cover off the peanut box and spill everything on the ground rather than lifting the top cover and reaching in for their treat.
I have heard that about the K3......AF much better than the K5. I can't answer that, never having a K3. I wanted to buy one once, but am a long time member of this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3-...re-thread.html and they have several Mods there that threatened me with a lifetime ban if I did. Having been banned here several times already, taken to the PF basement, pistol whipped, brainwashed by having to watch hours and hours of squirrel cartoons here from a perverted squirrel, ::iLL WiLL PreSS:: HOME OF NEUROTICALLY YOURS, 4Y-RECORDS & MORE. and waterboarded several times a day.....I decided against a K3.

I can tell you this. From my DS to the K5IIs and every model in between I always heard the same thing....."This new model has much better AF." I never found it to be significantly truthful. I was a real skeptic on the K1 and out of the box with a charged battery ready, I mounted the Bigma for the ultimate test of the K1 AF. It passed instantly and was unbelievably better than previous bodies. Fast and accurate, even in low light. My guess is that the K3 does not match it...but that is just a guess.

As for the squirrels in the boxes......you have to remember that these are not regular squirrels. They are part of the Army of Squirrels, highly trained and chosen for their intelligence and cunning skills. Why even open the box when you can get in and eat your way out!

You can keep an eye on your competition too, from the safety of a secure box...

"Back off! You're gettin' way too close!"

Of course, there is always the risk of eating yourself to total exhaustion....

Anyhow, that's about all I can tell you of the K3 without lying. I do have the resident leader and expert available who knows the K3 inside and out....but he charges considerably for consultation....and though he says he is 100% trustworthy, some have their doubts....me included!

Best Regards!

02-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #167
Pentaxian

I find the K-3 to be about the same as the K-1, and at times I think the K-1 in low light might be a bit slower. There is simply no comparison between a K-5 and a K-3. remember they introduced the new element to aid in auto-focus shortly after the K-5 with the K-30, and they've been incrementally making it better ever since.The K-3 is 3 or 4 increments better.

Last edited by normhead; 02-05-2017 at 03:21 PM.
02-05-2017, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Most disappointing lens . . .

I put the Pentax-FA 77 f 1.8 on any camera and then take it off and put on anything else, and whatever else I put on is the most disappointing lens.
02-05-2017, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I put the Pentax-FA 77 f 1.8 on any camera and then take it off and put on anything else, and whatever else I put on is the most disappointing lens.
I know where I can get one of those for 750 CDN or approximately 600 USD, It is so tempting it just constantly weighs on my mind. But it's not a focal length I use much.

But I still think, "If you buy it you'll use it, just buy it you wuss."

02-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
and whatever else I put on is the most disappointing lens.
Except the DA*50-135
02-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I know where I can get one of those for 750 CDN or approximately 600 USD, It is so tempting it just constantly weighs on my mind. But it's not a focal length I use much.

But I still think, "If you buy it you'll use it, just buy it you wuss."
For that price, I would just go ahead and get it. You can always get your money back pretty fast on this lens. I understand as I dithered for about three years wanting this lens before I jumped in and grabbed one. My wife calls this our magic lens.
02-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #172
Pentaxian

It has redefined for me what a bad lens can be. I was thinking "with a 36 MP sensor, it will be better than a good lens on a K-3. One of sherman's old quotes was, "Your worst lens on FF is better than your best lens on APS-c." Another Jayism I could throw back in his face were he still around. This lens is worse at web size than any APS-c lens I own. I'd analyze why, but looking at it's images makes me so depressed my brain doesn't function and I start thinking I'm going to give up photography. I should really just burn it at the stake.

This isn't just a bad lens, it's emotionally debilitating.

It makes me think " I could have shot this with my K-3 and Sigma 8-16 and had a good picture."

It makes you doubt your ability to make sensible decisions. I mean if you could pay good money for that, can you really buy anything with confidence ever again?

It makes your hand shake uncontrollably when you pick it up too dust it off.

It's like the evil DA 15 the way it controls your mind. You find yourself thinking "it really can't be that bad" and you put it on the camera and give it another go, only to have another emotionally draining experience.. It can absolutely guarantee crappy results.

It's the only lens I put in my lens comparisons, that never got a single vote. Of 100 or so people, no one likes it. Even my cheap FA 35-80 got some votes. It's not just cheap, it's destructive. It will destroy the visual image you see when you take the picture and renders it into something ugly and dsitatsteful.

It makes you want to put soap in your eyes.

Every time I put it on the camera it stabs me in the heart.

Now that's a disappointing lens.

OK< I'm going to go think about something else now.
A lot of this can be applied to the Takumar-A 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5 that came with the P30T I got a couple years ago. It would seriously depress me to see the results of that lens...
02-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably a Sears 135/2.8 Macro that was pretty good on crop. On full frame the edges are terrible!
For the amount of money involved I'm not too sad and I'm hoping to flip it to another crop user soon.

02-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #174
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I read that a weather seal becomes unseated and wraps around the AF Motor, torquing everything in the vicinity. Technically, it could theoretically be diassembled and repaired, but not economically. It could well also be the production run of the lens is complete and the supply of spare parts is actually exhausted.
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I purchased it used - like new from B&H and fortunately they refunded me my money so I was not out anything.

However, apparently what happened in this lens is prone to locking up the zoom ring with some portion of the AF element drive. At least I'm guessing that's what happened to me, since the zoom ring locked between 180 and 200 and the focusing elements would no longer align. It was in the shop for two months and B&H said sorry can't repair, we'll give you your money back.

Yay for B&H customer service. However, based on a half dozen(?) similar issues (zoom locking up) mentioned in threads throughout PF, I inclined to think it's a design flaw. I was lucky to get my money back the first time, I'm not chancing it again. Plus we really can't be without a long lens for 2-3 months at a time.[COLOR="Silver"]

She uses a K-3. I have the only K-1 and I purchased the 500 specifically for the FF body.

I'm loathe to switch her to Nikon, because technically her kit and mine are interchangeable. I have actually purchased all the lenses and body she carries for my use, save the Sigma 17-70. Thus, She is really using my back-up kit in the event of a total catastrophe. A couple of "her" lenses are even FF to cover my most used range. Between batteries, filters, remotes, matching tripods and heads, there is something to be said for the redundancy.
02-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the K-3 to be about the same as the K-1, and at times I think the K-1 in low light might be a bit slower. There is simply no comparison between a K-5 and a K-3. remember they introduced the new element to aid in auto-focus shortly after the K-5 with the K-30, and they've been incrementally making it better ever since.The K-3 is 3 or 4 increments better.
I'm not questioning you Norm....but I would feel better about your report if you clarified that this is from your personal experience and not from a paid consultation with the damn squirrel?

Regards!
02-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm not questioning you Norm....but I would feel better about your report if you clarified that this is from your personal experience and not from a paid consultation with the damn squirrel?

Regards!
You feeling better about my reports is important to me.

Therefore I announce, all of my reports are based on personal experience, although some times I find confirmation from other resources to back them up. I never consult with squirrels.

You're an easy man to make feel better Rupert. Maybe you can print that, in big letters and put it on your fridge to read next time you need a pick me up.

And I'd feel better if you preferred not to comment on the performance of equipment you don't own.
At least I have my experience. With regards to K-3 auto-focus you have nada, but that doesn't stop you from expressing an opinion does it?

I'd feel happier if you announced that K-1 auto-focus being better than K-3 is based on someone else's personal opinion, not your own

Are you getting your info from squirrels, is that what's going on here?

Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself, the insanity overwhelms me.

Last edited by normhead; 02-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.
02-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You feeling better about my reports is important to me.
Important enough to get a full page response! I sense a little return of Old Grouchy Norm....which is also important to me and my little furry buddy! He will appreciate it! Almost daily he says "I miss the Old Grouchy Norm....make him come back!"

I sure wasn't questioning your technical expertise.......but I also know that when someone pays $500. to a damn squirrel for a technical report, it is hard to admit that they may have been scammed and received false information? Surely that didn't happen to you. My apology!

Regards!
02-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Important enough to get a full page response! I sense a little return of Old Grouchy Norm....which is also important to me and my little furry buddy! He will appreciate it! Almost daily he says "I miss the Old Grouchy Norm....make him come back!"

I sure wasn't questioning your technical expertise.......but I also know that when someone pays $500. to a damn squirrel for a technical report, it is hard to admit that they may have been scammed and received false information? Surely that didn't happen to you. My apology!

Regards!
You mistake my amusement for grouchiness. It's more like "look what that crazy Rupert is saying this time."

Did the irony of someone posting a personal opinion without labelling it a personal opinion complaining about someone else not posting a disclaimer that their post was a personal opinion excape you?

Did the fact that 99.9% of the posts on this forum are personal opinions, and folks hardly ever start with "this is a personal opinion." also excape you.?

Did the fact that you singled out my post for this attention, when there are 100s of thousands of other personal opinions posted that you didn't call into question , did you miss that too?

Would the fact that you don't agree with my post have anything to do with your happy feelings about labelling my post as a personal opinion?

Or were you hoping that your reference to squirrels would distract everyone from noticing what you did?

I was just having some fun with it.

Last edited by normhead; 02-07-2017 at 08:11 AM.
02-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just having some fun with it.
I took it as just fun! Lighten up Norm, it is the squirrels that loved "Old Grouchy Norm"......not me! You are confusing me with the squirrels ....squirrels are the handsome ones......

folks hardly ever start with "this is a personal opinion."
Two things you missed in your reply.....

*When people see a Rupert post they already know it is "crazy"!
*When people see a Rupert post they already know it is a personal opinion...and most likely crazy!

Shame on you, you should know this by now!

Relax Norm, I like your birds, your doggies, your squirrels, your landscapes, Tess, your technical knowledge, and you are not half bad either...most of time....give me a break!

Regards!

BTW
- Those are the longest replies you have ever given me......that's gotta be a good sign!