Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 12:39 AM   #46
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Hard to tell. I go through stages. At first, I am disappointed with a lens, followed by learning a lens' strengths and weaknesses. For me, my big disappointment is the FA 50 1.7. I've had two copies. For some reason I like the F 50 1.7 color rendering so much better.
+1

The FA50mm f1.7 is my most disappointing lens. I bought it for sharpness. My FA50mm f1.7 is sharp but very poor rendering and the colours are not appealing.

11-27-2016, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Unusable wide open because of soft corners, hit and miss AF, nowhere in the same league as the other DA Limiteds.
I agree that the DA 15mm limited is not as good as it's reputed to be and does not have either the sharpness or the rendering of the other DA limiteds but I wouldn't say I'm overly disappointed in it and I certainly wouldn't say that the corner softness wide open is so extreme as to make it unusable. It's not the kind of lens you're likely to use wide open but if need be it'll do.

I've tried many lenses that aren't as good as they're reputed to be - the DA 15mm, DAL 35/2.4, Takumar 50/1.4, DA 50-200, M and A 28/2.8s - I'm sure there are more. None of them stands out as a particular disappointment. I never spend a lot of money on a lens that I can't either test before I buy or return under guarantee if it's not up to scratch.
11-27-2016, 01:43 AM   #48
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think I've ever been truly disappointed with a lens...

I've had a couple where more than one brand new copy had issues - the DA16-85 in particular - and that resulted in me returning them and choosing something else (in the case of the DA16-85, I really wish it had worked out differently - but no biggie). I've also had a couple that required alignment before they performed properly, but that happens. In most cases, though, I've only found some unexpected limitations or characteristics which I've learned to work with - and then I've been happy with the results.

I have had a couple of vintage M42 and Adaptall eBay purchases that turned out to be lemons, but they were returned and refunded - and I've missed a couple of great bargains over the years, due to procrastination or losing track of time!

As a side note, I'm surprised at how many find the FA50's so disappointing. I bought a used f/1.4 earlier this year and I really like it. Wide open, it does have a particular signature look... lacking a bit of contrast in certain situations (I do find it benefits greatly from a hood at wider apertures) and out-of-focus areas (highlights in particular) can be a little busy, but it has plenty of character. AF fine adjustment needs to be spot on for sharp results wide open, of course. Anyway, I guess it just goes to show how tastes can differ

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-27-2016 at 01:59 AM.
11-27-2016, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SMC-F 28-80mm. I've had two and they're both good as ornaments.

11-27-2016, 03:08 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Q 02 is a pretty crappy lens. Also Q 03 is difficult for me to get good results. I love the DA* 300 F4 but PDAF sucks with my K-3. It's as if it over shoots the focus point, and then bungee's back to it. It's not hunting, more like a very swift bounce. The problem is exponentially worse when paired with the Kenko 1.5X TC. AF is practically unmanageable with the combo.
I was disappointed from the 01 Prime and the original Q.. I wanted to replace Canon G12 but god.. 4 or years old compact had better lens...and the a bit larger sony sensor...The only camera/lens I have returned. OR did I get the bad sample?
11-27-2016, 03:17 AM   #51

I have bought a A50/1,4 recently, and I am happy with it. First the focussing ring was not correctly adjusted and it was not possible to focus to infinity. But after correcting it gives good results. Wide open there is less contrast (I suspect that there is inner light diffusion in the lens when the borders or fittings of some lenses are illuminated; that is what happens with the Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70/2.8, and I have almost eliminated this effect by introducing a black ring in front of the rear lens group), and focussing needs to be perfect to get a sharp image. In the corners the resolution is a little lower. At f 1.6 the lens is almost perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As a side note, I'm surprised at how many find the FA50's so disappointing. I bought a used f/1.4 earlier this year and I really like it. Wide open, it does have a particular signature look... lacking a bit of contrast in certain situations (I do find it benefits greatly from a hood at wider apertures) and out-of-focus areas (highlights in particular) can be a little busy, but it has plenty of character. AF fine adjustment needs to be spot on for sharp results wide open, of course. Anyway, I guess it just goes to show how tastes can differ
11-27-2016, 04:00 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are lenses that I have owned that I didn't expect a whole lot out of -- kit lenses in particular -- and so I can't say I was ever particularly disappointed by them. Most lenses have a sweet spot and if you figure it out they are usable.

I think the FA 50 f1.4 was the one I was most disappointed by. It just really has pretty poor contrast, even stopped down and wasn't particularly usable below f2.8. I think the reviews kind of spoiled because everyone was so positive on it and it didn't turn out to be that great. I eventually switched it for the DA *55 which is a much better lens.

11-27-2016, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There are lenses that I have owned that I didn't expect a whole lot out of -- kit lenses in particular -- and so I can't say I was ever particularly disappointed by them. Most lenses have a sweet spot and if you figure it out they are usable.

I think the FA 50 f1.4 was the one I was most disappointed by. It just really has pretty poor contrast, even stopped down and wasn't particularly usable below f2.8. I think the reviews kind of spoiled because everyone was so positive on it and it didn't turn out to be that great. I eventually switched it for the DA *55 which is a much better lens.
Disappointment is a product of performance and expectation....if you have a high expectation, and the lens turns out to be merely good rather than excellent, you will be disappointed! I have the FA50 f1.4 and am quite happy with it, based on the reviews (not super sharp at f1.4, needs a hood and pp to boost contrast when wide or nearly wide open)and it does what I want it to!
11-27-2016, 04:14 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Disappointment is a product of performance and expectation....if you have a high expectation, and the lens turns out to be merely good rather than excellent, you will be disappointed! I have the FA50 f1.4 and am quite happy with it, based on the reviews (not super sharp at f1.4, needs a hood and pp to boost contrast when wide or nearly wide open)and it does what I want it to!
I suppose. I owned it close to ten years ago and shot it as much on film as I did on my K100 and K10 before I finally sold it. Auto focus was pretty hit or miss at that point which compounded the problem. Maybe I'd be happier with it now. I'm not sure, but the DA *55 has worked well for me on both the K-1 and APS-C cameras.
11-27-2016, 04:29 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I suppose. I owned it close to ten years ago and shot it as much on film as I did on my K100 and K10 before I finally sold it. Auto focus was pretty hit or miss at that point which compounded the problem. Maybe I'd be happier with it now. I'm not sure, but the DA *55 has worked well for me on both the K-1 and APS-C cameras.
Glad you like the DA*55, I've been tempted a few times but have resisted! I don't actually use the 50mm much, I tend to go straight from 35mm to 70mm on my K3, so I don't get the FA50 out that often. Will no doubt change when (if) I get a K1 in a year or so....
11-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I may be the only one to put this lens into this category but my biggest Dud/Disappointment/Disaster by far is the HD DA 40 Limited. When the lens was exactly a year old the focus ring completely bound up. Not only is the focus ring bound up but so is the repair. It has been at precision since September 28th and it is nowhere near being repaired. It is currently stuck between Precision and the New Leaf extended warranty I bought with the lens. Now I am being told that it needs to be sent back the the manufacturer. Does that mean being sent back to Pentax/Ricoh? I can not get definitive information from either new leaf or Precision. There is no lens that is worse than the one that is completely unusable and you do not even have it! This is my only Pentax lens that has ever been a real problem. I have the following, and none of them have had any problem issues: DA 15, 21, 35 macro, 70 limiteds, DA* 200, DFA 100 Macro WR, F 28 2.8, FA 50 1.7, DA 17-70 and HD DA 55-300. The only issue with any of these is a slight wobble in the FA 70 Limited but the lens works just fine.

---------- Post added 11-27-16 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't think I've ever been truly disappointed with a lens...

I've had a couple where more than one brand new copy had issues - the DA16-85 in particular - and that resulted in me returning them and choosing something else (in the case of the DA16-85, I really wish it had worked out differently - but no biggie). I've also had a couple that required alignment before they performed properly, but that happens. In most cases, though, I've only found some unexpected limitations or characteristics which I've learned to work with - and then I've been happy with the results.

I have had a couple of vintage M42 and Adaptall eBay purchases that turned out to be lemons, but they were returned and refunded - and I've missed a couple of great bargains over the years, due to procrastination or losing track of time!

I bought a used FA 50 mm F1.7 in excellent condition. The build quality seems cheap especially compared to it's M 50mm F1.7 predecessor but I am very happy with the performance of the lens and am very satisfied with it.
11-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #57
Forum Member

The DA 18-135.
My copy produced a particularly ugly form of vignetting, corners were soft and AF was a hit and miss roulette.
11-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #58
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I bought a used FA 50 mm F1.7 in excellent condition. The build quality seems cheap especially compared to it's M 50mm F1.7 predecessor but I am very happy with the performance of the lens and am very satisfied with it.
I know what you mean about the cheaper feel - nothing like the old M lenses, that's for sure. Even the A lenses started to feel that bit cheaper. The black plastic and undamped focus ring (due to the AF mechanism) of the FA50's mask what I think are very solidly-built lenses under the hood, and they certainly seem to last. You don't hear many stories of them failing
11-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only lenses I've ever been disappointed with are the ones I buy that I can't use,..

Two copies of the FA 28-70/4. One was so hazed you couldn't even see through it, The other has fungus right in the middle of an element.

A Helios 44-2 that has fungus and never really focused at infinity anyway...

An A 35-105 with a broken mount, two M 35/2.8s with sluggish apertures. A S-M-C Tak 50/1.4 that had been dropped...

All were losing gambles from the Internet auction roulette table known as shopgoodwill.com.

Last edited by boriscleto; 11-27-2016 at 08:12 AM.
11-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chti Quote
The DA 18-135.
My copy produced a particularly ugly form of vignetting, corners were soft and AF was a hit and miss roulette.
I think I have a copy made the same time as your