Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will just repeat and/or summarize some of the recommendations made above.
1) almost any macro lens in K-mount will deliver good to excellent results. The design of macros rapidly reached a high level decades back, and because of competition, almost every one made after about 1985 is very good;
2) AF is not necessary for most macro work, and commonly does not function properly in the macro range with the possible exception of long FL macros (150mm or more). Most of us who do a lot of macro routinely use MF even if the lens offers AF;
3) Probably the best bargain prices will be found in macros of about 50mm, for example, the 50mm SMCA f2.8 can sometimes be purchased at a bargain price.
4) unless you are going to do nothing but flower photography, if you intend or think you might do some insects, probably the best choice would be a lens in the 90~105mm range.
5) There are many good lenses in the 90~105mm range, but probably the most common, and probably most available at a good price would be a Tamron 90mm, any vintage even going back to an Adaptall 2 (if you can locate one with a PKA mount).
6) Although macro lenses made as early as the 1960's are very good, both ambient light and especially flash exposure will be much more convenient and quick if you get a lens that has "A" communication, that is, an "A" series or later lens, or a lens that is at least PKA compatible.

11-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
OK, one thing you did not tell us, which camera do you have?
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
you need to understand WHAT you wish to photograph in the macro world
I have the K-3. I also have a K-x that I don't really use anymore.

I want to use it for bugs and flowers and other tiny objects. I also was hoping to use it some in portraiture.

Leaning toward the Pentax 100mm for the best price. Haven't looked to see if any of them are on sale today.
11-28-2016, 06:45 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TraciA Quote
I have the K-3. I also have a K-x that I don't really use anymore.

I want to use it for bugs and flowers and other tiny objects. I also was hoping to use it some in portraiture.

Leaning toward the Pentax 100mm for the best price. Haven't looked to see if any of them are on sale today.
The current Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro is excellent, on par or better than any other macro lens on the market. It has the additional advantage of being exceptionally small and light for a 100mm macro. The hood is really large (=deep). I bought mine on sale for under $400, but such such bargain prices aren't available every day. Lowest current prices seem to be about $480.
11-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It really depends what you want it for. For non-alive objects (flowers, prduct photography), etc, you can use short focal length macros (35mm, 50mm). However, if you plan on using the lens for moving objects (insects, etc), you'll want something with higher focal length. I personally use an older version of the Tamron 90mm along with a 1.4x teleconverter (TC by Kenko MC-4). That gives good magnifications, without being too close to the object.

11-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have two very Nice Ricoh 105 Macro lenses (Lester Dine) and although I haven't used the Tamron 90 SP I can sure tell you the Ricoh macro is built nice and Renders Wonderful.
It has a "Cult Following" and there is a good reason for that.....they are wonderful lenses.
I'm going to be posting one of them for sale real soon for $199 Shipped.....PM me if interested.

Heres the Review...LINK.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/ricoh-rikenon-p-105mm-f28-macro-lens.html

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 11-28-2016 at 06:53 PM.
11-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your input/advice. I'm still debating, since I haven't found an amazing sale I will continue to wait awhile. I'm leaning toward the Pentax 100.
11-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I will just repeat and/or summarize some of the recommendations made above. 1) almost any macro lens in K-mount will deliver good to excellent results. The design of macros rapidly reached a high level decades back, and because of competition, almost every one made after about 1985 is very good; 2) AF is not necessary for most macro work, and commonly does not function properly in the macro range with the possible exception of long FL macros (150mm or more). Most of us who do a lot of macro routinely use MF even if the lens offers AF; 3) Probably the best bargain prices will be found in macros of about 50mm, for example, the 50mm SMCA f2.8 can sometimes be purchased at a bargain price. 4) unless you are going to do nothing but flower photography, if you intend or think you might do some insects, probably the best choice would be a lens in the 90~105mm range. 5) There are many good lenses in the 90~105mm range, but probably the most common, and probably most available at a good price would be a Tamron 90mm, any vintage even going back to an Adaptall 2 (if you can locate one with a PKA mount). 6) Although macro lenses made as early as the 1960's are very good, both ambient light and especially flash exposure will be much more convenient and quick if you get a lens that has "A" communication, that is, an "A" series or later lens, or a lens that is at least PKA compatible.
Great summary.
Pretty much any dedicated prime lens from the last.. 20, 30 years will give you decent, possibly amazing results. The latest few generations are all pretty much amazing, at least in terms of optics. Some have different features (like focus clamp, focus limiter, aperture ring), so these are important factors. If you want to use manual bellows or old SLR, the new DFA 100mm WR is not your best choice because it has no aperture ring.
That said, Pentax 50mm macro, 100mm macro are both great optical lineages, even back in FA and F series. Check locally what is available, and the marketplace here as well. I have DFA 100mm and it is a stunning lens. Even at its regular store price it is a fair price, because the lens really delivers amazing photos. And holiday sales are coming soon!

11-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TraciA Quote
Thank you everyone for your input/advice. I'm still debating, since I haven't found an amazing sale I will continue to wait awhile. I'm leaning toward the Pentax 100.
Is there a particular budget that you do have in mind? Also, are you looking at new, used or both?

Check your email, you might be eligible for 8% eBay bucks. Prodigital2000 on eBay has a great price on the Tamron 90 new. They are a legit company and I got my lens through them.

Thanks.