Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Teleplus recommendations?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I have a 21mm (coming in the mail), a 50mm and a 100mm lens. I am now pretty broke after the last payment for that 21mm. 2017 is going to be a recoup finances year!

I'm feeling pretty rounded out now tho, the only thing really missing is further reach, such as 200-300mm.

My dad has given me an old 2X KAX TELEPLUS MC4, which to my understanding doubles eveything on whatever ever lens is attached. So my 100mm 2.8 becomes a 200m 5.2 etc? Am I correct in saying this?

It's pretty old and beat up, I was wondering if todays 2x whatevers do a better job? I could manage up to say $100 on a 2-3x magnification if the quality was going to be 'ok'.

I do live in Australia, it's pretty bright out here, the idea would be to try and capture the odd bird, kanga, lizard etc, something to get me that little more reach without forking out for a proper zoom lens. Like i said, I really want to save 2017, so this would be a a small thing to tie me over till 2018.

Any recommendations or just stick with the MC4?

Cheers,

Bruce

11-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
So my 100mm 2.8 becomes a 200m 5.2 etc?
Actually, it would be 5.6 cause two times 2.8 is 5.6. But 2x TCs can cause IQ to not be that great, either. IMO, I'd save some money and get a prime even if it's a screw mount one. Would be better than coupling two TCs together.

Most macro lens have different glass. The front glass is more flat than a regular 100mm or any other lens that's not macro. You might find it's not that good of quality in your shots, from what I've read on this forum.
11-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Actually, it would be 5.6 cause two times 2.8 is 5.6. But 2x TCs can cause IQ to not be that great, either. IMO, I'd save some money and get a prime even if it's a screw mount one. Would be better than coupling two TCs together.

Most macro lens have different glass. The front glass is more flat than a regular 100mm or any other lens that's not macro. You might find it's not that good of quality in your shots, from what I've read on this forum.
Oops yes, bad maths by me.

Ok good to know. Have any screw mount prices to recommend by chance?
11-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not really, I don't own any yet. I have the adapter and am looking around ebay but haven't decided on a 300mm or 400mm.

Like this one:

Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 400mm f5.6 Manual Focus Lens M42 Mount | eBay

I've heard good things about it, though.

Of course you do know Takumars are not AF.

Here's a 300mm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-Tele-Takumar-300mm-f6-3-Manual-Focus-Screw-Mo...AAAOSwImRYM9BG

Some Ozzies recommended this one to me.

11-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not really, I don't own any yet. I have the adapter and am looking around ebay but haven't decided on a 300mm or 400mm.

Like this one:

[URL=" Pentax SMC Takumar 400mm f5.6 Manual Focus Lens M42 Mount | eBay[/URL]

I've heard good things about it, though.

Of course you do know Takumars are not AF.

Here's a 300mm

Some Ozzies recommended this one to me.
MF is fine for now, I've used my dad's old 50mm 1.7 MF only, was alright. Often when trying to capture birds in trees I find I need to swap to MF anyway to get past the twigs and branches and focus properly on the birdy

So.. those look good. Can I ask something, does screw mount mean something specifically? Does it just imply that it fits ok (that the actually process of attaching the lens to the camera does not differ), it's just not 'electronically' binding therefore AF and some other stuff like aperture might not work, that those things are done on the lens itself?
11-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I was wondering if todays 2x whatevers do a better job?
There are no modern 2x TCs for Pentax. The only modern TC is the HD 1.4x one. In general a 2x TC is good for surveillance or 'proof' shots but the image quality is so poor that I would not use it for quality photography. Just my opinion of course.

If you are looking for a telephoto lens in the 300 or 400mm range you would be better off buying an older prime, than trying to use the 2x TC. As @photolady95 says even an old M42 lens will likely do better.

Also, "zoom" means a lens that can "zoom" to different focal lengths. It CAN be a telephoto but not always. For example the DA 12-24 is a "zoom" but it is not a telephoto.

Another option is to look at some consumer zoom lenses like the DA 55-300 which in the 'DAL' version can be had rather cheaply. Or perhaps one of the older FA 100-300 lenses. These will not be 'pro' quality by any means but will give the length you are looking for and will almost certainly be better than using the 2x TC. They will also be auto-focus and auto-aperture, which any combination using the 2x TC will not be. With a budget of $100 you might find a decent 100-300. Here is one I found quickly: Pentax FA 100-300 f/4.7-5.8 | eBay Just an example not recommending it.
11-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A screwmount lens needs an adapter to use on modern cameras, like your K-50 and there are special instructions here on this forum for using these lenses.

11-28-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just my opinion of course.
Mine too. I had a 2x TC with contacts and turned it into an extension tube because the quality of photos shot with it was really bad.
11-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

turned it into an extension tube
Best use for a 2x TC!!!!
11-28-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't have the 100 macro, but my 1.4 and 1.7 both work great FA 50 macro, Sigma 70 macro, and Tamron 90 macro. Most macro lenses clearly out resolve the sensor to the extant that many macros benefit from using them. I find it hard to believe the FDA 100 macro isn't he same.
11-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to pick up a third party 70-300 autofocus lens for a very reasonable price that will be better than anything on an old 2x teleconverter. There are some old manual primes out there, but remember it is a lot harder to manually focus a 300mm lens than a 50mm lens. You could do it ok with a focus peaking, but that also means using a tripod. Whatever you decide, good luck Hulk!