Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Just ordered a dirt cheap jupiter 9 on Ebay with tons of scratches

Normally I wouldn't buy a lens like this but the price was right and I was dead curious how bad this actually would be. In the worst case scenario I can either flip it at a small loss or have a artsy as heck lens. My suspicion however is that the main thing that'll happen is bad flaring. I'll be sure to update when I actually get it, which who knows with Russian post

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 11-29-2016 at 05:45 AM.
11-29-2016, 06:04 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"... and a final scrubbing with steel wool will get you that 'artsy' look you've been craving..."

wow - that looks... interesting...
11-29-2016, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
"... and a final scrubbing with steel wool will get you that 'artsy' look you've been craving..."

wow - that looks... interesting...
I'm honestly curious of the story of this one. Maybe some Russian soldier used it on the field... or some guy was just completely negligent
11-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Keep a look out, sometimes they pop up with effect apertures or really bad bodies but with good glass pretty cheap too, you could make a decent one and sell a really bad one that way

11-29-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Keep a look out, sometimes they pop up with effect apertures or really bad bodies but with good glass pretty cheap too, you could make a decent one and sell a really bad one that way
"slightly used Jupiter 9!"

Good idea though, I'll keep a look out.
11-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, as for "dirt", it's dirty, no doubts about that!
11-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well, as for "dirt", it's dirty, no doubts about that!
Oh as soon as it gets here this thing is getting a deep clean I'll tell you that much. Gloves on and outside before it even gets into my house.

11-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

From the photo the scratches appear to be confined to the coating and don't go into the glass (the barrel actually appears to be in pretty good shape at least cosmetically). They may be due to over-enthusiastic cleaning/polishing with the the wrong stuff (ajax?). You may be able to use it 'as is' with a decent hood, and avoid pointing it at light sources. Maybe it's possible to re-coat a front surface without dis-assembly? Or at least remove the scratched-up coating with a suitable solvent?

I've had a Jupiter-9 for >10-years (~US$60 new back in the day -- plus shipping from Kiev). The glass has remained in good shape (I rarely clean it), however the focus and stop-down rings have become pretty stiff over time.
11-29-2016, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the cardinal rules of photography: if it's blurry, out-of-focus, distorted, poorly framed - - - call it ART.
11-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jesus that's bad.
Yeah, you'll have flare, lots of it. Please tell me you didn't spend more than 10$.
11-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
One of the cardinal rules of photography: if it's blurry, out-of-focus, distorted, poorly framed - - - call it ART.
Academy for Bad Photographs Online University
11-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is how to straighten out the filter thread. Lens barrel on "blue tack" or similar, judicious tapping with a light hammer on the hardwood piece (which for the small sharp dent you have should be shaped with a smaller end than this) will ease it out.
You won't be able to get it perfect, the metal will be slightly stretched so will probably bulge slightly, but filters should go on fine.

I had an optomax 135mm that was scratched like that - it was awful, hopelessly flared pics. Au contraire, my helios 44 is ok (but not nearly as badly scratched).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 
11-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sanding the piece of wood to roughly the right diameter should help with that too I suppose. Haven't tried myself..

Edit: Hadn't seen that this had been done when viewing the thread on mobile

Last edited by Topsy; 11-29-2016 at 03:28 PM.
11-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Normally I wouldn't buy a lens like this but the price was right and I was dead curious how bad this actually would be. In the worst case scenario I can either flip it at a small loss or have a artsy as heck lens. My suspicion however is that the main thing that'll happen is bad flaring. I'll be sure to update when I actually get it, which who knows with Russian post
If you never shoot it into strong light, I wonder how much the scratching will show? If you shoot the lens wide open, and the scratches themselves aren't catching light, blur they cause in the bokeh field might not be noticeable. It might be nice for portraits or certain other subjects that don't seem to demand a hard focus on their main subjects.

Who knows what the scratches might do shooting into colored holiday lights in night scenes? It might even look good.

I'm not sure I'd pay for a lens in that condition, but, if somebody gave me one, I'd sure give playing with it a good whirl!
11-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
If you never shoot it into strong light, I wonder how much the scratching will show? If you shoot the lens wide open, and the scratches themselves aren't catching light, blur they cause in the bokeh field might not be noticeable. It might be nice for portraits or certain other subjects that don't seem to demand a hard focus on their main subjects.

Who knows what the scratches might do shooting into colored holiday lights in night scenes? It might even look good.

I'm not sure I'd pay for a lens in that condition, but, if somebody gave me one, I'd sure give playing with it a good whirl!
That's my question, I'll be doing a lot of testing when I get it but I'm hopeful that the results will be pleasant. If it's not it'll just go on ebay, don't mind losing a couple bucks.