Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things in the background seeming to take on a life of their own is something one sees in swirly bokeh pictures. It isn't always pleasing. The effect can even be on the scary side of grating, but finally the question has to be whether the effect is fitting for the picture you're taking.

11-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Things in the background seeming to take on a life of their own is something one sees in swirly bokeh pictures. It isn't always pleasing. The effect can even be on the scary side of grating, but finally the question has to be whether the effect is fitting for the picture you're taking.
I agree, I thought it would be a pretty neat picture, though, especially with the back ground I plan on using.
11-29-2016, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes under the right conditions my Rokinon 85 1.4 can produce similar results.

11-29-2016, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

the effect is caused by deeply recessed front elements or other design aspects that begin to block the light path as you move away from the center of the image. mounting a step-down ring or too long or narrow hood on your fa 50 will make it swirl.

11-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maltfalc, will you get this sort of effect with an F or FA 50 Macro? Those have really deeply set front elements and I'm not sure if I've seen swirls in sample shots.
11-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
maltfalc, will you get this sort of effect with an F or FA 50 Macro? Those have really deeply set front elements and I'm not sure if I've seen swirls in sample shots.
the front opening seems wide enough that i wouldn't expect much swirl.
11-29-2016, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
the effect is caused by deeply recessed front elements or other design aspects that begin to block the light path as you move away from the center of the image. mounting a step-down ring or too long or narrow hood on your fa 50 will make it swirl.
This has not been my experience. My Helios 44M 58/2 will swirl with some subjects despite having a front element that is not particularly deep set and despite being used with a hood that is appropriate to the focal length. Other lenses in my bag with similar front element depth and focal length with the same hood do not swirl. My Sigma 50/2.8 has a very deep front element and never swirls.

Steve

11-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This has not been my experience. My Helios 44M 58/2 will swirl with some subjects despite having a front element that is not particularly deep set and despite being used with a hood that is appropriate to the focal length. Other lenses in my bag with similar front element depth and focal length with the same hood do not swirl. My Sigma 50/2.8 has a very deep front element and never swirls.

Steve
never claimed all deep set front elements or only deep set front elements cause swirl. it has to be deep enough and with a narrow enough front edge to begin significantly obstructing the light path at an angle captured by the sensor, and other parts of a lens can cause the same obstruction.
11-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

never claimed all deep set front elements or only deep set front elements cause swirl. it has to be deep enough and with a narrow enough front edge to begin significantly obstructing the light path at an angle captured by the sensor, and other parts of a lens can cause the same obstruction.
Again, not my experience. Your claim is fairly novel and not something I have heard of before. I think it would be appreciated if you started a new thread with examples of how this works, preferably with/without a step-down/hood of the same subject and composition.

Steve
11-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have a reference for this, Maltfalc?
11-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Again, not my experience. Your claim is fairly novel and not something I have heard of before. I think it would be appreciated if you started a new thread with examples of how this works, preferably with/without a step-down/hood of the same subject and composition.

Steve
not your experience in what way? my claim doesn't conflict with your experience. just look at the change in shape of the bokeh in a photo with swirl as it nears the edges vs one without swirl and it should become obvious what causes it. the main cause is the lightpath being constricted too much in front of or behind the iris, with things like edge softness, barrel distortion, etc. also contributing somewhat to the final look.

---------- Post added 11-29-16 at 11:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Do you have a reference for this, Maltfalc?
nope. don't need one either. anyone on this forum can easily verify this for themselves in a few seconds with a camera, a fast lens and a hole.
11-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

nope. don't need one either. anyone on this forum can easily verify this for themselves in a few seconds with a camera, a fast lens and a hole.
Okay, your claim about the phenomenon *has* been challenged in this forum, and I've never read any reference to support your conclusion, and you don't seem to have either.

Is that a fair statement?
11-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't the swirly bokeh (at least partially) caused by a hard optical vignetting that changes the shape of the aperture at off-axis angles? As in figure 2 here: Vignetting. There are other factors of course, so just having a deeply recessed front element isn't enough, but for a given lens if you added an inappropriately sized lens hood, or stacked a bunch of filters, the cats eye bokeh would be exaggerated? Should be easy enough to test with a roll of black cardboard and some Christmas lights.

I think there's other factors to the overall wiggy swirlies though, the soap bubble bokeh, a generally sharp thing in focus but soft elsewhere, or other funny things that tend to be "corrected" in more modern lens designs.
11-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Okay, your claim about the phenomenon *has* been challenged in this forum, and I've never read any reference to support your conclusion, and you don't seem to have either.

Is that a fair statement?
i repeat, it takes literally a few seconds for you to see for yourself that i'm right.
11-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

i repeat, it takes literally a few seconds for you to see for yourself that i'm right.
I repeat, you have no reference.

What's your explanation with this:

New Petzval 58 Creates Bokeh Like No Other Camera Lens | Digital Trends