Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

I'm beginning to be paid, what should I upgrade first?

Hi everyone!

First off, this is my first post on this forum, so I apologize if this isn't in the correct section.

I am beginning to be paid to take pictures for birthday parties, company Christmas pictures, etc. (I may be doing a wedding in a few months, and my friends mom said she will let me borrow her 70D with 18-135mm to use along with my camera). My current plan is to put 1/2 of the money I make aside for upgrading my gear and putting the other 1/2 into advertisement (Google AdWords). This is my current setup:

Pentax K-50
- DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR
- DA L 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR
- DA 35mm f/2.4 AL
- Ricoh 50mm f/1.7

I also have a third-party manual flash that I got off of Amazon that seems to do a fine job as well as a small camera backpack and a decent $50 tripod.

What should I upgrade as I gain money? Here is a list of a few things I am considering:

- Pentax 50mm f/1.8 (I know I have a 50mm, but I think the autofocus would be worth it. Or is this too close to 35mm to justify it?)
- Rokinon 85mm f/1.4
- Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (I would really like this for Astrophotography, would it be useful for anything else?)
- Some type of sharper/faster wide angle zoom than my kit lenses
- Potentially a K-3 ii in the future if I really start making some money

Are there any other lenses I should be looking at? How about any type of lighting other than my flash? Anything I'm not thinking of?

I know this is long and drawn out, and I know there is a lot of stuff I'm throwing at you all, but just give me some ideas of what I could upgrade and in what order! I'm mainly looking to expand my gear so that I can make more money off of the gear that I purchase.

Thanks so much!
Robert

Robert's Camera | Home

12-04-2016, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roberts_camera Quote
1/2 of the money I make aside for upgrading my gear and putting the other 1/2 into advertisement
So where does food come into the equation?
12-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- Pentax 50mm f/1.8 (I know I have a 50mm, but I think the autofocus would be worth it. Or is this too close to 35mm to justify it?)
50mm and 35mm are noticeably different, and if you think AF is important for your work, then get the DA. It comes at an amazing price, and holiday sales are coming soon.
- Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (I would really like this for Astrophotography, would it be useful for anything else?)
I have the Samyang version of this (it also comes in other labels, but all have same optics). Great lens, very sharp. I almost never use it for astrophoto, but I often use it for indoor, landscape, and travel photos. I recommend this lens, but be sure that your copy is not decentered. This is a too-common problem, so buying at a place where you can return the lens and get it exchanged is a good idea. But great lens at great price.
Tamron 10-24mm, Sigma 10-20mm. But I would wait with this, get the Samyang 14mm first.
12-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This isn't a recommendation I make very often, but it's one that benefitted my paid work greatly: a class in photography, preferably with a focus on portraiture. Something that will teach you about catchlights, eliminating distracting elements from your photos, your lighting options, a thorough introduction into flash exposures, and a bunch of people who are able to give you constructive criticism as you put together a portfolio.

I see potential here, I see some great photos already, but I also see some rough edges that could be improved upon with time, effort and education. Just my two cents.

Edit: This can also make you connections within the industry. Some of my first jobs were 'hey, I can't/don't want this job, do you want it?'

Last edited by lithedreamer; 12-04-2016 at 02:12 PM.
12-04-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd probably start by upgrading the body to one that's more reliable / rated for more actuations, like the K-3. After that, I'd add a versatile, silent-focusing lens like the DA 16-85mm, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8, etc. You will probably take most of your photos with said lens.

After that, I'd focus on adding more primes like the DA 50mm you mentioned, or the DA* 55mm.

BTW, as far as advertising goes, I'd recommend looking into leveraging Facebook and creating a page targeting your local audience. This can be much more effective and much cheaper than adwords.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-04-2016, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Rok 14mm
Wide angle shooting is useful for groups at wedding / corporate events.

In my usual gigs, I shoot DA 12-24, FA 35mm f2, and DA* 55mm f1.4 for portraiture. DA 70mm f2.4 on some occasions.

I think your focus on manual Rok glass is fraught with peril as the likelihood of a missed focus far outweighs the benefit of faster aperture.
12-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Brooke Meyer

Hi everyone!

First off, this is my first post on this forum, so I apologize if this isn't in the correct section.

I am beginning to be paid to take pictures for birthday parties, company Christmas pictures, etc. (I may be doing a wedding in a few months, and my friends mom said she will let me borrow her 70D with 18-135mm to use along with my camera). My current plan is to put 1/2 of the money I make aside for upgrading my gear and putting the other 1/2 into advertisement (Google AdWords). This is my current setup:

Pentax K-50
- DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR
- DA L 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR
- DA 35mm f/2.4 AL
- Ricoh 50mm f/1.7

I also have a third-party manual flash that I got off of Amazon that seems to do a fine job as well as a small camera backpack and a decent $50 tripod.

What should I upgrade as I gain money? Here is a list of a few things I am considering:

- Rokinon 85mm f/1.4
- Potentially a K-3 ii in the future if I really start making some money

Are there any other lenses I should be looking at? How about any type of lighting other than my flash? Anything I'm not thinking of?

I know this is long and drawn out, and I know there is a lot of stuff I'm throwing at you all, but just give me some ideas of what I could upgrade and in what order! I'm mainly looking to expand my gear so that I can make more money off of the gear that I purchase.

Thanks so much!
Robert

Robert's Camera | Home
Find a used Tamron 28-75/2.8. It will even work on a full frame. You'll have a constant aperture, potrait to near macro lens.

You need an extra battery and an inexpensive flash like a YN 560III with a homemade flag like the "black foamie thing".

Then a used second camera body.

If you get to that, while you're learning about light properties, ratios and posing, you'll need a business license, sales tax id and a liability policy plus good record keeping for filing sales and income tax returns. Really.

12-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

DA* 50-135mm f2.8 might be worth a shout and will mean your DA 35 will still be useful

and a samyang 14 f2.8 or 16 f2 for the wide/night usage

those could eventually be complemented by primes or zooms to cover that ~20-50 range a bit more
12-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Above all, congratulations and well done on getting paid for doing our hobby
12-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I second Lithedreamer's advice. Better skills will take your further than better gear.

Meanwhile, try to find a good wedding shooter in your area who would allow you to work as a second a few times.

To get to your actual gear question, I'd be looking for a second body right now, just to head off disaster. Then some kind of sexy (i.e. wide aperture) portrait lens with autofocus.
12-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Don't spend it all on gear. Get what you need to get the job done and put the rest away to get your spare.
Also, if you're calling your business "Robert's Camera", be aware of the other Roberts Camera robertscamera.com .
12-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

" I'm beginning to be paid, what should I upgrade first? "
You are going to have to upgrade both your Hardware & your Software at the same time If you intend on generating Net Income To Live Off or continue your Educational Path. You are 18 yrs old and live in a large city(more opportunities)
Net Income is Revenue (sales) less the costs to generate said Revenue. You have to be able to Walk and Chew Gum at the same time.
There will be lots of good advice Available on this Forum from guys with experience on the Hardware Side.
I'm going to give you a little info on the Software that you will need to generate Revenue to pay for the Hardware: First if you are a Student at a School that has a Placement Program see if you can get a Placement at a Professional Photography Shop or equivalent such as Advertising Agency with photo Dept , News Paper photo journalist. This does a few things: Revenue possible, educational, advice on Hardware from experienced Pros etc.
Or go directly to these Shops and apply for a Job Full or Part Time.
Think outside the Box - Rent a Fixed Wing Aircraft With Operator ( Helicopters too expensive) for an hour or 2 take the door off and start shooting at every Industrial, Commercial, Government (all Levels) Site you can think of or see. Then on your Bicycle and sell the pics.
Take Photo Classes at the Local Community College or wherever and join active relevant Photo Clubs.
This you have to do and more all the time you are Up-Grading your Hardware.

You have to be able to Walk and Chew Gum at the same time

P S I did the Aerial thing back in the 80's - rent the Pilot with a little Grey Hair and has never been a Fighter Pilot in the Air Force.
PPS If he has a hard time starting the Plane try Pottery!

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-04-2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add
12-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I second the need to get into a photo club, don't be shy because you could be the only guy with a Pentax and participate in their contest. You will learn from your photos and from the winning one. One criteria , try a photo club who don't permit intense photos hop. The club also give good training, mine at least.
12-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would be the cheapest and most worthwhile upgrades from where you are
12-04-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The lenses you have will be good for most of what you'll be doing, but for the wedding stuff I'd recommend getting a 17-50mm and a 70-200mm f2.8 (both either from Sigma or Tamron).

For wideangle lenses, the 14mm would be good for astro, landscape's and when you need to get a group shot of people (when there's a lot of people), although Sigma's 10-20mm f3.5 would be a bit more versatile in some situations (even though it's slightly slower).