Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fuji...ans(is that what you call them).....ha ha........seems to me, after dabbling in their system, they have a similar outlook to PP(pentax people).

The images produced are very good but the bang for buck isn't.....

12-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
But quality over size any given day. So they think the correct way.
But this is debatable, I think.

Ultimate quality - why stick with a 'full-frame' format and FF lenses? Why not go bigger format for even 'better quality'? Uncompromised quality is certainly important for certain photographers and modes, but not for all. Image quality (i.e., optical characteristics), size/weight, cost, ergonomics, and other factors will always present a trade-off. Some people will favour IQ, others will favour other factors or look for a balance amongst them.
12-06-2016, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #18

Fuji cameras look cool to me, but I am not a huge fan of Mirror-less and fast lens.
And Fuji lenses are way too expensive for me...Won't mind to try though
12-06-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Yep. Furthermore, the shorter FFD and smaller sensor on the OP's Fuji MILC makes small large aperture primes much more feasible on those systems as well. It's the same reason, for example, an old Olympus 42mm 1.2 for the half frame PEN-F SLR and the 50mm 1.2 Serenar for Canon's Leica knockoff RFs were so petite while their contemporary 1.2 equivalents for their 35mm SLRS were gimongous.

Is that really true in this case? The Fuji 56/1.2 is described as "lightweight" but it weighs somewhat more than the Pentax 50/1.2.

12-06-2016, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JameyMC Quote
Hi there PF friends,

My brain is about to pop. I have gone back and forth between fuji and pentax for three years. I love the ergonomics and the flexibility of the K-3, so much so that I have owned it twice. I also like that it is rather small for such a capable DSLR. I travel for work a LOT, so I try to stay as compact as possible. This is one reason I love the limiteds. I have the DA40 2.8, and it's sharp, but it is missing something. It's missing that separation that a faster lens provides.

However, the IQ of Fuji's fast primes are just stunning. I recently rented a FA31 and FA77. I received a decentered copy of the FA31, so I can't really appreciate it's capabilities. I found the FA77 to be incredible. Great lens......but it's incredibly pricey for a hobbyist. And I know the 31's are supposed to be nice, but good God, $1100 for a 1.8 normal?

I am teetering on the edge of going full Fuji. I currently have their 35mm f2, 56mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4. All three provide remarkable image quality, especially the faster two. The AF on the 35mm f2 is straight up lightning. If I'm shooting my kids, that lens is fixed to my XE-2. It's nearly instantaneous.

I would love for Pentax to make faster, non-screwdrive 1.2-1.8 primes. I have the DA50, and while the 1.8 there is fast, it is simply not in the same league as the Fuji 56. It just isn't. This is very frustrating, because I love the build quality of the limited primes, but they're just too damn slow. With all of those K-mount optical formulas floating around, you would think that faster limited primes would be a no brainer.

Any solid rumors out there for me?

Sincerely,

Mentally Fried Jamey
(COME ON PENTAX!!)
I am a Pentax fanboy. But I think if anyone want to stay with APSC, it's Fuji - they look very promising.
They also going to make MF.

they are like the mirrorless version of Pentax (with faster prime lenses).
12-06-2016, 11:09 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
But this is debatable, I think.

Ultimate quality - why stick with a 'full-frame' format and FF lenses? Why not go bigger format for even 'better quality'? Uncompromised quality is certainly important for certain photographers and modes, but not for all. Image quality (i.e., optical characteristics), size/weight, cost, ergonomics, and other factors will always present a trade-off. Some people will favour IQ, others will favour other factors or look for a balance amongst them.
Ricoh wants to attract more pros..So they try many different things. And sacrifice the small lightweight stuff for the bigger pro stuff is one thing.

I dont say they might release something small and lightweight too, but its not the main focus as it used to be.
12-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

One test has found that the extra light from an f/1.4 lens was largely wasted over an f/1.8, due to how it falls on the sensor. They claim that the IQ was actually better from the f/1.8:
50mm Lens Shoot-Out: f/1.8 or f/1.4? | Expert photography blogs, tip, techniques, camera reviews - Adorama Learning Center
12-06-2016, 11:28 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

I'm wondering why kenspo thinks the bigger stuff is better. If you can design a lightweight system that gives you better IQ than the heavy stuff. I think it's he hasn't been around the forum (or Pentax) long enough. He hasn't seen stuff like digitalis' bench tests comparing the 31 ltd. to the Sigma 30 1.4. Basically, not a lot of difference, but the 31 ltd is smaller and better. It's disappointing to have someone posting in threads with so little knowledge of Pentax gear, like he knows something. Newbies could be confused.

He says "you have to compare to other brands" like we haven't. So not only does he not know Pentax, he doesn't us either.

So, ya, it's about IQ not weight, but Pentax has in the past, done both better IQ and lighter weight.

12-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's disappointing to have someone posting in threads with so little knowledge of Pentax gear, like he knows something.
You have to mark your sarcasm, Norm, otherwise people will think you are being serious.
12-06-2016, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Yeah, the fast Pentax glass is not cheap, but the Fuji isn't famous for being super affordable, either.
Couldn't you get:
- Pentax FA 35mm f2, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, Samyang 35mm f1.4
- Pentax FA 50mm f1.4, Pentax DA* 55mm f1.4, Samyang 50mm f1.4
- Samyang 85mm f1.4, Pentax FA 77mm, Pentax 85mm (many older ones available, some affordable, some very pricy),

This would give you a really nice kit of fast glass of brand new optics, not to mention the older legacy options. That said, do you really shoot at wide open apertures that often? I have a couple lenses and almost always they are stopped down to f5.6 - f8. Very rarely shoot wide open, and when I do, f2.8 is fast enough. And I understand that my shooting needs might be completely different from someone else, but look at your photos and think about it
So those are my thoughts on Fuji vs Pentax. Yeah, Fuji makes some really nice primes and some compact gear, but it is expensive. And for Pentax, with third parties, you get get all kinds of stuff. Mostly I would recommend you just stick to one system for a while, even if you choose Fuji, as that will give you time to grow a nice repertoire of lenses that you really use (and not just want)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-07-2016 at 03:15 AM.
12-06-2016, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JameyMC Quote
I am teetering on the edge of going full Fuji
Please go. Now.
12-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You have to mark your sarcasm, Norm, otherwise people will think you are being serious.
That was sarcasm?
12-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #28
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
huh?

I guess you haven't seen digitalis' comparison one the 31 ltd. and the Sigma 30 either, or the various sites that have listed the 31 td. as one of the top 5 or top 3 lenses of all time.

It is a fact....
Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. If that's sarcasm to you, you're as bad as he is.

Check out digitalis' comparison, bench tests, sample images, a d discussion of the issues as h sees them. That's useful information. Kenspo's at best, can't be evaluated, because he presents none. As general statement, we have proof, right here on the forum that he's full of it. His blanket denunciations of older lenses can be proven wrong in some instances, and is little more than Pentax marketing propaganda. He's no different than the guy behind the shelf at the camera store saying "don't buy that second hand $50 lens, buy this new $2000 lens, trust me, I know what's good for you". At least that's the most I can make of what he posted.

Last edited by normhead; 12-06-2016 at 01:45 PM.
12-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm wondering why kenspo thinks the bigger stuff is better. If you can design a lightweight system that gives you better IQ than the heavy stuff. I think it's he hasn't been around the forum (or Pentax) long enough. He hasn't seen stuff like digitalis' bench tests comparing the 31 ltd. to the Sigma 30 1.4. Basically, not a lot of difference, but the 31 ltd is smaller and better. It's disappointing to have someone posting in threads with so little knowledge of Pentax gear, like he knows something. Newbies could be confused.

He says "you have to compare to other brands" like we haven't. So not only does he not know Pentax, he doesn't us either.

So, ya, it's about IQ not weight, but Pentax has in the past, done both better IQ and lighter weight.
I love the 31, but its soooo slow to use. and i really dont care what you think or what was the thing back in the days. But since i dont know every little bit of Pentax history, i shouldn't be allowed to post here? Who made you a General?

You might know more then me about the old days, but i can assure i know a lot more then you on what is happening now and what the future brings. Ricoh doesn't make bigger lenses just for fun. Its a reason for that.

So go eat a potato or something.
12-06-2016, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
That was sarcasm?
No, of course not. But Norm is about to go into one of his fits again, writing stuff like "It's disappointing to have someone posting in threads with so little knowledge of Pentax gear, like he knows something." about a professional photographer who happens to have been a Pentax ambassador for years now.