Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

@normhead: don't be so jealous on kenspo, just because he has inside info and he's an accomplished photographer

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Funny! But quality over size any given day. So they think the correct way.

Its not like the size is huge..but the small lightweight ones are history. Look at other brands to compare size.
Except we can have quality and a reasonable size, at the expense of maximum aperture.

I understand their logic and I expect they'll be doing exactly what you say, however... I'm skipping the 15-30 because it's huge; what's the point in making another huge ultrawide prime?

12-06-2016, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

Some of the coming primes will be an ok size for most people here
12-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Have you seen them?

I'm not fooling myself - no chance I'd get DA Limited sized lenses. I'll be happy if they don't go overboard and compete with Sigma on lens size, that's all...
12-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I see a lot of things..hehe..But i will continue to be VERY careful with my words in here..

12-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
GREAT NEWS!...thank you.

Now, just a clue or 2 about FL please(pretty!).
12-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #36
Pentaxian

beautiful?
12-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
No, of course not. But Norm is about to go into one of his fits again, writing stuff like "It's disappointing to have someone posting in threads with so little knowledge of Pentax gear, like he knows something." about a professional photographer who happens to have been a Pentax ambassador for years now.
whatever...
this is the first time I've read kenspo in months, I have him on ignore, and I haven't missed a damn thing. What are you a Kenspo groupie?

12-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The limited series are designed to be small and compact, not fast. Don't expect them to make fast limiteds, that isn't their purpose. The DA* primes are designed to be fast and sharp, not small. There are several primes on the roadmap for next year. We all hope for improved AF in the lenses

Oh I get what they were originally designed to do, but slow primes just simply aren't as attractive when the mirrorless market is producing lenses that aren't that much larger, and are much faster. 21mm 3.2? Really? 3.2? You would sacrifice a little size for a 2.0 or 1.8?

What attracted me to the Pentax system of lenses is the build quality of the limited series, not their slow speed. Honestly, how long are slow and loud primes going to stay competitive?

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 07:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You have great lenses for your Fuji system. So here is an idea. Enjoy them and look a year from now how things have changed for Pentax and then maybe make a new decision.
Oh man, I know. That holding pattern is where I have been for the last 6 months or so. Ricoh's focus, per the lens map is to use their limited resources to support the release of the K-1. Can't fault them for that, right?

Just wishing they would roll out something new, fast, and fresh for ALL of us APSC owners.

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 07:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Yeah, same here. I would rather like to have current DA50/35 updated for PLM than 1,5 kg sigma 85 Art alike(still nice lens,but not THAT better than older one). But- lets give them a chance... I would love somthing like Tamron SP 85/1.8 it is maybe not the fastest, but delivers stunning image quality and bokeh, great af and is just 700g.
Oh I don't want a bag full of tanks either, so look at the DA50. It's a 1.8. Plenty fast, but the build quality is a joke and the screw drive scares away the neighbors. There has to be a middle ground where those weaknesses could be improved, right? Would you pay $399 for a 50mm 1.8, with limited build quality and improved coatings? Dare I say silent AF? I would.
12-06-2016, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JameyMC Quote
What attracted me to the Pentax system of lenses is the build quality of the limited series, not their slow speed.
Same here. FA limited lenses are fast and small in size. but I am not fancy with pancake but slow design approach.
Anyway, let’s wait and see what will be in CP+ 2017 which is on late February. Hang in there!

Last edited by pakinjapan; 12-06-2016 at 09:23 PM.
12-06-2016, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigfoxkiB Quote
Fuji cameras look cool to me, but I am not a huge fan of Mirror-less and fast lens.
And Fuji lenses are way too expensive for me...Won't mind to try though
35mm 1.4 can be purchased for $400, and the f2 WR regularly goes on rebate for $300.

The 56mm 1.2 is pricey new ($1,000), but I picked mine up barely used for around half the price. Mint condition. Got lucky there.

My next investment is the 23mm f2 WR which is a whopping $500 regular price.

My point is, I find the prices comparable with Pentax, outside of the FA's.

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 08:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Is that really true in this case? The Fuji 56/1.2 is described as "lightweight" but it weighs somewhat more than the Pentax 50/1.2.

I don't notice the weight of the 56. It's a little front heavy on my XE-2, but it's not bad at all

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 08:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Please go. Now.
Why? This isn't a team sport or anything. I'm not a brand loyalist. Don't be so touchy. I would LOVE to stay with Pentax, and I likely will in some capacity. I just wondered why it wouldn't make sense for Pentax to find a compromise for the speed/size issue for the limited primes. They're high quality and little tanks. Just batting around ideas.

Last edited by JameyMC; 12-06-2016 at 07:44 PM.
12-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless you are interested in full frame at some point, it sounds like Fuji is a better fit for you.

There are new lenses coming and on a K-1 they will be faster than anything Fuji offers. I'm sure they'll be fine on crop cameras, but clearly they will have been designed for full frame. And that is where a lens like the FA 31 really shines compared to 20mm on crop cameras.
12-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by JameyMC Quote
35mm 1.4 can be purchased for $400, and the f2 WR regularly goes on rebate for $300.

The 56mm 1.2 is pricey new ($1,000), but I picked mine up barely used for around half the price. Mint condition. Got lucky there.

My next investment is the 23mm f2 WR which is a whopping $500 regular price.

My point is, I find the prices comparable with Pentax, outside of the FA's.

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 08:34 PM ----------

I don't notice the weight of the 56. It's a little front heavy on my XE-2, but it's not bad at all

---------- Post added 12-06-16 at 08:39 PM ----------

Why? This isn't a team sport or anything. I'm not a brand loyalist. Don't be so touchy. I would LOVE to stay with Pentax, and I likely will in some capacity. I just wondered why it wouldn't make sense for Pentax to find a compromise for the speed/size issue for the limited primes. They're high quality and little tanks. Just batting around ideas.
Sound good...but no range finder...
Will be more tempting to try if Fuji makes DSLR too.
BTW, does Fuji bodies have optics zoom or magnify in live view?
12-06-2016, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

I'm waiting to see what the new wide prime will be.

I can live with one or two bigger lenses in the bag if the IQ is superb for landscapes, but I'd really prefer small/slower ones for that purpose.

As for the OP question.
I think the FA50/1.4 is a good lens.
Consider getting a K1 (FF which Fuji X does not offer) and that 50/1.4 gets even better.
I'm assuming you want that isolation via shallow DOF look here.

So the good stuff from Pentax that would want, maybe you'll have to look at it as a package. (ie. FF + lenses)
12-06-2016, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #44

For portraits, try FA77or FA 851.4
The 55* 1.4 is stunning on the K1 as a normal lens, btw you can switch to crop model then the 55mm becomes a great portrait lens.
On the wide end, FA31 is really hard to beat.

*Something else to consider here, yes the Fuji primes are a little bit faster, but there is no IBIS in Fuji camera, so I'm not sure which one is actually faster. plus you get slightly thinner DOF and MUCH better high iso performance with full frame.
12-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member

That old **** Norm is funny!