Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2016, 02:45 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I am in the same boat but too invested in Pentax to consider moving completely to Fuji. I have been waiting for seven years for Pentax to produce a 35mm f/1.4 for APS-C cameras and still nothing, so I recently bought the Fuji 35mm f/1.4 to use on my X-M1 and it's wonderful, everything I want from such a lens. I'd love to have one for my K3.

The nearest equivalents for Pentax are the DAL 35/2.4 (too slow, too plastic, not good enough image quality) and the DA 35mm macro limited (wonderful image quality and a pleasure to use but still not f/1.4).
The FA31 Ltd!

I also have the Sigma 35 Art if you want f1.4, and it's not available for the Fuji AFAIK.

12-16-2016, 02:47 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The FA31 Ltd!
i ain't ready to spend THAT much on a lens i won't use most of the time !
12-16-2016, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

The 31mm limited is very expensive, though lots of people rave about it (I have read a lot of comments about soft or de-centred copies though).

The Sigma 35/1.4 is massive, heavy and also expensive, all because it's full frame.

I understand that the short flange distance of the Fuji system is an advantage in keeping things small and light, but I don't believe that it's not possible to produce an APS-C 35/1.4 in K mount for a reasonable price and with reasonable size and weight and sharp wide open.

This isn't a lot to ask - it would be the standard fast prime for all Pentax DSLRs before the K-1 and should have been available since the early days of digital. The lack of it in the line-up sticks out like a sore thumb.

For the OP, it sounds very much like Fuji would be a better system for you. For what it's worth, Pentax lenses, even the newer DA ones, work extremely well on the Fuji cameras, albeit without AF and only M or A exposure modes.
12-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am in the same boat but too invested in Pentax to consider moving completely to Fuji. I have been waiting for seven years for Pentax to produce a 35mm f/1.4 for APS-C cameras and still nothing, so I recently bought the Fuji 35mm f/1.4 to use on my X-M1 and it's wonderful, everything I want from such a lens. I'd love to have one for my K3.

The nearest equivalents for Pentax are the DAL 35/2.4 (too slow, too plastic, not good enough image quality) and the DA 35mm macro limited (wonderful image quality and a pleasure to use but still not f/1.4).

Pentax used to hold the crown for a dedicated APS-C lens line-up but they lost it when Fuji brought out the X system and they don't appear to be making any effort at all to get it back. Now with the K-1 out I think they will focus on only FF lenses and APS-C will be neglected even further.
I too really wanted that DA*30 1.4 or 1.2 for my K-7. I think Hoya Pentax really screwed this up. They probably had plans for fast DA* primes but scrapped them.
A year ago I considered the x-e2 and 56 with 16 but ended up buying the K-1 instead. I liked the Pentax way and the DA 35 is a great allarounder on FF. Also on the roadmap (read with ricoh surveys interpretation of what large aperture is) there are fast primes. They sold the K-1 to me with that. I hope the rumor is true and we get 50 1.2 to replace my A 50 1.7. AF and weather sealing are nice...
David

12-16-2016, 08:31 AM   #65
Veteran Member

All in good time, perhaps. It was a major step to get the K1, and offering supporting lenses will take a good deal of attention for a while.
12-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
(i am considering this lens, so would you mind developping a bit the kind of issue you had, please ? It would be very helpfull )

The link for the reviews of the FA*24mm f2. It's a great lens.
SMC Pentax-FA* 24mm F2 AL [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Focus was very spotty. It didn't clearly front-focus or back-focus, so making an adjustment within the camera body wasn't really feasible. This was a problem out to about f 3.5 or so where things got ok, but at that point I didn't need the lens.

It was soft at f/1.4 even when focus was correct, except at the center of the image. I attribute most of that to curvature of the focal plane, which seemed excessive at 30 mm on an APS-C sensor. And the lens was just a bit clunky.

I may have had a bad copy, but there was a general consensus that this lens wasn't that great. Strangely, my experience with it made me hold back on even buying the Pentax 31 mm lens because I figured this could be an issue with my ability to use such a lens, but when I got the 31 mm, everything was fantastic.

Of course, the newer Art version of the lens may be better, and many people like even the version I had. But focus issues seem to be common across the newer (HSM?) Sigma line-up, so I don't know. Ultimately, my copy just didn't even out-perform my Tamron 17-50.

---------- Post added 12-16-2016 at 08:01 AM ----------

i ain't ready to spend THAT much on a lens i won't use most of the time !
I should add (especially with regard to my previous post) that the cost of the 31 mm coupled with my own negative experience with the Sigma, made me hold off on the 31 mm. But... once I dropped that money on it, I almost use it exclusively it is so good. I used to use my 17-50 (or 18-135 when travelling) almost exclusively, but it is amazing how much I make that 31 mm do. I make it cover for the 17-50 across the board. I tried to make such use of my Sigma 30, but as someone who shoots a lot of landscape, I couldn't make it work. The Sigma 30 really only can work as a portrait lens, which was probably my biggest problem. The 31 mm can do almost everything I want. The only negative (when compared to the 21 mm and 43 mm lenses) is that the 31 mm is bigger and not quite as good for street photography if you are trying to keep a smaller kit. But, the 31 mm is compact compared to the Sigma.

When I need more precision with my FOV (as of course 31 mm can't really cover my needs 100% of the time), I use the 43 mm and 21 mm to cover things. I see so many people wanting a 35 mm, but I really find the 31 mm or 43 mm work well enough to cover any need I'd have with a 35 mm. Having a K-3 allows me to crop to what I need no matter what lens I use, so cropping a 31-mm shot to something like a 35-mm shot is quite easy.
12-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #67
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JameyMC Quote
Will Pentax make faster primes
If you can live with manual focus... they already have.
12-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 31mm limited is very expensive, though lots of people rave about it (I have read a lot of comments about soft or de-centred copies though).
I have it, it's fantastic, JM.

Like many things in life, it's there if you want to pay for it.

There are so many great choices in the 28mm to 40mm bracket, new and old.

That Fuji has only seven blades, is APS-C only, and does not suit a hand holder like me - no image stabilization.

Last edited by clackers; 12-16-2016 at 11:49 AM.
12-16-2016, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Pentax is Pentax and will not listen to funny ideas or calls.
Asking for larger aperture lenses at low cost for full frame, but with small dimensions, high-tech, but screw drive - give me a break. The upcoming lenses will be large aperture, but not super large. state of the art AF and not low budget. The question is whether they should be f/1.4 or f/1.8. Performane has to match price.
12-17-2016, 02:14 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Just to clarify what my ideal lens would be:

35mm f/1.4
APS-C only (not FF compatible in order to save on size, weight and price)
Easily sharp enough to use wide open, at least in the central area
Built-in lens motor for quick and accurate AF
Good build quality
Maximum price of €550 new

I don't think that's unfeasible in any way.
12-17-2016, 04:01 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

35mm f/1.4
Good build quality

No image stabilization? Thumb down.

I also have the Sigma 35mm Art, Jonathan, it's all of those things except the second, which hardly worries me because I then get to use this outstanding lens on my K-1 as well as my K-30.

Last edited by clackers; 12-17-2016 at 04:15 AM.
12-17-2016, 04:53 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 35mm f2.4, FA 35mm f2, DA 35m f2.8 limited MACRO (true 1:1 macro!), FA 31mm ltd, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, Samyang 35mm f1.4, Mitakon 35mm..
then there are zooms that cover that range very well: Pentax DFA 15-30mm, Pentax DA 16-50mm f2.8, Pentax DA 20-40mm limited, Pentax 16-45mm (discontinued, but was very beloved), Tamron 17-50mm, Sigma 17-5mm, then Pentax 16-85mm and a myriad of 17-70mm lenses. Basically, 35mm is very well covered by primes of all types and zooms, which also compete with primes these days. This is why Pentax is producing a super affordable 35mm prime, a high-end 31mm prime, and a macro 35mm prime. Adding yet another 35mm f1.4 prime would not be very profitable.

For Pentax, 20mm up to 28mm is a bigger problem in the lineup, which will (according to rumours) be filled in 2017, 2018. And these will probably be faster than f2.4, and DFA

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-17-2016 at 04:10 PM.
12-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #73
Pentaxian

35mm f/1.4
Good build quality

The Sigma 30/1.4 Art fill the bill, doesn't it ?
12-18-2016, 02:20 AM   #74
Pentaxian

The Sigma 30/1.4 Art fill the bill, doesn't it ?
I tried the older version and it was a poor performer (not sharp, very inaccurate AF), at least at anything less than f/2.8 and at f/2.8 I have the DA limited which is much better.

I researched the new version a lot and understand it has the same problems, albeit to a lesser extent.
12-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I tried the older version and it was a poor performer (not sharp, very inaccurate AF), at least at anything less than f/2.8 and at f/2.8 I have the DA limited which is much better.

I researched the new version a lot and understand it has the same problems, albeit to a lesser extent.
I came to pretty much the same conclusion, but having no experience regarding the previous 30/1.4 EX DC, i havent bought it.

I probably won't. As nothing seem to be as good as the 31 out there