Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Will Pentax make faster primes

Hi there PF friends,

My brain is about to pop. I have gone back and forth between fuji and pentax for three years. I love the ergonomics and the flexibility of the K-3, so much so that I have owned it twice. I also like that it is rather small for such a capable DSLR. I travel for work a LOT, so I try to stay as compact as possible. This is one reason I love the limiteds. I have the DA40 2.8, and it's sharp, but it is missing something. It's missing that separation that a faster lens provides.

However, the IQ of Fuji's fast primes are just stunning. I recently rented a FA31 and FA77. I received a decentered copy of the FA31, so I can't really appreciate it's capabilities. I found the FA77 to be incredible. Great lens......but it's incredibly pricey for a hobbyist. And I know the 31's are supposed to be nice, but good God, $1100 for a 1.8 normal?

I am teetering on the edge of going full Fuji. I currently have their 35mm f2, 56mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4. All three provide remarkable image quality, especially the faster two. The AF on the 35mm f2 is straight up lightning. If I'm shooting my kids, that lens is fixed to my XE-2. It's nearly instantaneous.

I would love for Pentax to make faster, non-screwdrive 1.2-1.8 primes. I have the DA50, and while the 1.8 there is fast, it is simply not in the same league as the Fuji 56. It just isn't. This is very frustrating, because I love the build quality of the limited primes, but they're just too damn slow. With all of those K-mount optical formulas floating around, you would think that faster limited primes would be a no brainer.

Any solid rumors out there for me?

Sincerely,

Mentally Fried Jamey
(COME ON PENTAX!!)

Last edited by JameyMC; 12-06-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Clarify that I'm rumor shopping
12-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JameyMC Quote
Five FF primes on the roadmap, to be released '2017 or later' - I think we may get announcements at CP+ next spring. Pretty likely some of them will be very fast. I wouldn't bet on f/1.2 (even though Pentax is often good for a surprise), but f/1.4 for the 'standard' and 'medium telephoto' prime is a reasonable expectation. Recent Pentax lenses have also been very fast to autofocus.

12-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi there PF friends,

My brain is about to pop. I have gone back and forth between fuji and pentax for three years. I love the ergonomics and the flexibility of the K-3, so much so that I have owned it twice. I also like that it is rather small for such a capable DSLR. I travel for work a LOT, so I try to stay as compact as possible. This is one reason I love the limiteds. I have the DA40 2.8, and it's sharp, but it is missing something. It's missing that separation that a faster lens provides.

However, the IQ of Fuji's fast primes are just stunning. I recently rented a FA31 and FA77. I received a decentered copy of the FA31, so I can't really appreciate it's capabilities. I found the FA77 to be incredible. Great lens......but it's incredibly pricey for a hobbyist. And I know the 31's are supposed to be nice, but good God, $1100 for a 1.8 normal?

I am teetering on the edge of going full Fuji. I currently have their 35mm f2, 56mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4. All three provide remarkable image quality, especially the faster two. The AF on the 35mm f2 is straight up lightning. If I'm shooting my kids, that lens is fixed to my XE-2. It's nearly instantaneous.

I would love for Pentax to make faster, non-screwdrive 1.2-1.8 primes. I have the DA50, and while the 1.8 there is fast, it is simply not in the same league as the Fuji 56. It just isn't. This is very frustrating, because I love the build quality of the limited primes, but they're just too damn slow. With all of those K-mount optical formulas floating around, you would think that faster limited primes would be a no brainer.

Sincerely,

Mentally Fried Jamey
(COME ON PENTAX!!)
The limited series are designed to be small and compact, not fast. Don't expect them to make fast limiteds, that isn't their purpose. The DA* primes are designed to be fast and sharp, not small. There are several primes on the roadmap for next year. We all hope for improved AF in the lenses
12-06-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
In the next 6 month we get 3 till 5 new primes,next *Zoom is possible to be a medium telezoom 4.0 .
Also a wide 4.0 is possible in the next 12 month.
Both made and patented by Pentax Ricoh.
I also asked an oem for next converter,fullframe in this case,but I got no concrete answer.
The APS-C converter was produced in 400 pieces at first production run and was sold out in a couple of hours.
It was Pentax patented.
come on

12-06-2016, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Banned

You have great lenses for your Fuji system. So here is an idea. Enjoy them and look a year from now how things have changed for Pentax and then maybe make a new decision.
12-06-2016, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I'd rather have (as in: I'm prepared to pay for these) reasonably compact&light, high quality primes - than ultrafast, huge and outrageously expensive ones.
I'm actually concerned with the ultrawide being "large aperture".

P.S. I don't care what Fujifilm does. Just sayin'...
12-06-2016, 09:41 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd rather have (as in: I'm prepared to pay for these) reasonably compact&light, high quality primes - than ultrafast, huge and outrageously expensive ones.

Well, this is a thread made by someone who wonders whether he should stick with Pentax or Fuji, based on potential future fast prime offerings. Your differing preferences and lack of interest in Fuji, while valid, are not exactly enlightening

12-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, same here. I would rather like to have current DA50/35 updated for PLM than 1,5 kg sigma 85 Art alike(still nice lens,but not THAT better than older one). But- lets give them a chance... I would love somthing like Tamron SP 85/1.8 it is maybe not the fastest, but delivers stunning image quality and bokeh, great af and is just 700g.
12-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also like that it is rather small for such a capable DSLR. I travel for work a LOT, so I try to stay as compact as possible.
You do realize that being high on the portable scale and opening to a wide aperture are two things are a contradiction in terms?

You can't do better than the Pentax 31, 43, and 77 in that regard. Sounds like you might like the 77. The longer focal length will give you narrower depth of field and better subject isolation, in a small package.

Since most of the time people don't shoot wide open anyway, the difference between ƒ1.4 and 1.8 is minimal, from an IQ perspective, but it's huge from a weight perspective. Shooting at ƒ2 or higher, all that extra weight in the 1.4 lens gets you nothing.

The following test at photozone would suggest that ƒ11 at 55mm high be your best bet, close to excellent both centre and edge. 35mm would be the absolute best, but by the time you've lost all that magnification from 35mm to 55mm, subject IQ will be better at 55mm. Differences of 100 lw/ph are pretty much indistinguishable. I don't pay attention until it gets to be over 200 lw/ph myself (because I can't actually see the difference in the images) , and the difference between 35 ƒ8 and 55 ƒ11 are well within that 200 lw/ph parameter.

So long story short, calibrate your lens, it appears to be back focussing, if you don't want to do a test, just try the combo +10 and see if it does better, and shoot at 55mm ƒ11. Those two things could solve your problem.

You can use your first figure on the board as a test chart. You need to have the board 45º to the camera, and gauge the DoF by where the sharp areas of the board are, calibrate to taste, remembering the 1/3 of the DOF should be in front of the focus point and 2/3s behind it.

Last edited by normhead; 12-06-2016 at 11:19 AM.
12-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

@FantasticMrFox:
The subject is "Will Pentax make faster primes", though And they have 3 "large aperture" lenses on the public roadmap.
Actually the only prime from the roadmap which is not a "large aperture" is a "wide angle single focus lens" - I'd guess f/2 or f/1.8.
12-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-3 II and various Pentax lenses, including several DA Limiteds and DA*'s covering 15mm to 300mm. Although I'm happy with this kit, I'll admit that I sneak into Fuji forums periodically to check out that community's raves and rants. To be honest, my heart occasionally strays into Fuji-land -- the MILC gear is attractive, for sure. But when I do the analysis of cost, weight, and features - compared to my current kit - I scurry back home. Indeed, I see superb images coming from, say, the X-Pro 2 or X-T2 and one or another prime or zoom lens. But, I don't really see images that are dramatically better than the best that I've seen coming from Pentax shooters (my own pictures are modest, and don't really factor in to the comparison against the best of the Fuji imagery).

There's a constant debate between DSLRs and MILCs - each domain has its strengths and compromises. I have noticed that there seems to be an ongoing angst in Fuji-land - it's like there is suddenly too much choice (The Paradox of Choice...). Folks seem to worry about whether they should get an X-Pro 2 or an X-T2 or stick with their old, old X-T1, or wait for the next X-whatever, which is just around the next corner. Then there are the prime-vs-zoom discussions (just like here). And comments about AF problems, flare, little firmware glitches, and so on. And comparisons with the fixed-lens alternatives (X30, X70, X100...).

I love the ergonomics and the flexibility of the K-3, so much so that I have owned it twice.
Seems that you might be unsettled on your primary requirements. What caused you to dump the first K-3? And to get a second one?

I travel for work a LOT, so I try to stay as compact as possible.
I am teetering on the edge of going full Fuji. I currently have their 35mm f2, 56mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4. All three provide remarkable image quality, especially the faster two. The AF on the 35mm f2 is straight up lightning.
Sounds like a Fuji kit would serve you very well, as long as you are mainly interested in the normal-to-near telephoto range. Achieving a 300mm FL on Fuji bumps you into their long zoom, I believe, which isn't small or inexpensive.

I would love for Pentax to make faster, non-screwdrive 1.2-1.8 primes.
But you already have these in the Fuji brand. If your main requirement is narrow DOF at those focal lengths, then the answer at the moment is clear. "Will Pentax make faster primes?" What is not clear is exactly what lenses Ricoh will reveal against their imprecise roadmap.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-06-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo and clarification
12-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Since most of the time people don't shoot wide open anyway, the difference between ƒ1.4 and 1.8 is minimal, from an IQ perspective, but it's huge from a weight perspective. Shooting at ƒ2 or higher, all that extra weight in the 1.4 lens gets you nothing.

but then you cannot brag about the f1.4 printed on the lens, and feel superior to all the schmoes with only f1.8 printed on theirs.....
12-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Those days are gone...For most parts!
12-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Too bad. I don't need primes competing with the 150-450mm in size&weight.
12-06-2016, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Funny! But quality over size any given day. So they think the correct way.

Its not like the size is huge..but the small lightweight ones are history. Look at other brands to compare size.