Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K 400 f5.6 ?!?

Hi guys,
I will google this, but since I didn't find anything in lens review section, I'm trying my luck here.
It's newer brother M400 f5.6 seems to have positive reviews. Has anybody come to contact with with K400? I saw one for quite unbelievable price and I'm very tempted...
So if anybody knows anything about this one, please let me know ASAP
TIA
Peter

07-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi guys,
I will google this, but since I didn't find anything in lens review section, I'm trying my luck here.
It's newer brother M400 f5.6 seems to have positive reviews. Has anybody come to contact with with K400? I saw one for quite unbelievable price and I'm very tempted...
TIA
Peter
It's not unusual for any K lens to be better than its M equivalent. So I'd recommend to just buy it
07-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Stan's PDML list Reviews

Hi guys,
TIA
Peter
IQ is highly rated for both the K and M42 versions (they have the same optical formula). Here are two links:

They're a bit dated - not updated since 2004 - but still good for the old stuff. Scroll down to 400mm lenses link on the left - the K version is reviewed Stan's Pentax Photography

Here's an amazing pdf from around the same period listing virtually every Pentax lens made through about 2004, and a relative rating of its IQ (as well as ebay KEH and Adorama used prices for the period). http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6cyRZJI4AgBUw1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnRlBHNl...OSdb/SPLOS.pdf

Interesting reading for a rainy afternoon.
07-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi guys,
TIA
Peter
The lenses have the same optical formula. They are cosmetically different. For that matter, I just sold off the case that came with my M 400/5.6 and it fitted the Super Takumar like it was custom made. They will give you the red fringes in contrasty situations, but are otherwise very nice lenses.

08-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

Monochrome

Thanks a million or the pdf. it was indeed interesting..

I'm curious about Pentax 400/5.6..I might get hold of one (dunno which series) so have just wondered how the 400/5.6 will compare to my K300/4 +1.4x TC..with my current 2x TC, 300/4 doesnt give good results..Will post again when I know the exact 400/5.6 lens..

Hrishi
08-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Monochrome

Thanks a million or the pdf. it was indeed interesting..

I'm curious about Pentax 400/5.6..I might get hold of one (dunno which series) so have just wondered how the 400/5.6 will compare to my K300/4 +1.4x TC..with my current 2x TC, 300/4 doesnt give good results..Will post again when I know the exact 400/5.6 lens..

Hrishi
Hrishi, check out the 400/5.6 snaps on my Flickr site, here:
K10D + SMCP-M 400/5.6 - a set on Flickr
and for a bad one, here:
K10D Mule Deer Doe 400_5.6-11 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

These should give you an idea of what to expect from the lens. It is not perfect, but a heck of a lens for the money.

The doe shot is the worst situation possible for testing a lens, which of course why I did it. (Mule deer are pests around here.) She is backlit, on snow with the sun facing the camera, just before 1 pm. The doe is due South from my house. The snap was taken through a double paned sliding glass patio door. If you click the "all sizes" and go to the original, you will be able to see the EXIF data.
08-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #7

Canada Rockies

The bad one is not that bad

Ain't the M and A series lenses identical? Is there any difference in IQ in them?

Peter,

You said the M400/5.6 has got favourable reviews. Can you please share the reviews?

Hrishi
08-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got it!

Canada Rockies

Peter,

You said the M400/5.6 has got favourable reviews. Can you please share the reviews?

Hrishi
agree on the "bad" shot...
here is the link for this page's database:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 400mm F5.6

Anyway, I went and bought the lens I mentioned above, I paid 150 which in the UK, let alone London, isnt't too bad for lens of that length and 5.6...
Anyway, it's older and has few sratches on body, but opticaly is in perfect condition... I went out straight away and snapped over 100 pics of herons and seagulls and other birds in Regent's park. I will post some samples later...
But for now I'm amazed, the lens performs great. What I like even more, is that apperture ring is closing down the diaphragm no matter what mode you have camera in. That means VF is getting darker as you stop down, but on the other side, you can have camera in Av mode and forget about stop down metering. At f8 and sunshine, there is still enough light for AF to confirm lock on. Stopped to around f8 or f11 the lens is beautifly sharp. And to go nicely with all of this the apperture ring is set close to the front of the lens, so rests between focus ring and front. That means if it's not enough light you can focus with wide open and then stop down without having to move you hand along the lens while shooting hand held. All in all I'm loving this lens, and it's good workout too. After few trips with it Mr. senator of California will be put into shame by my biceps . Not really, but the lens is built like a tank and weights accordingly...

PS: if there is anybody saying SR doesn't work as well as whatever other ones...
I got decently looking shots with time as slow as 1/80...

08-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Canada Rockies

Hrishi
I know, I have an 8x10 inch print of the doe shot on my wall, but it does display the chromatic aberration the lens puts out.
08-03-2008, 03:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I find my K400 a bit soft, and do see some CA in certain images, but not all. 8x10 is all i'll go with this one.

I have shots of the same subject with the K400 and Sigma 300 F 4 and the Sigma won.

Dave
08-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #11

Peter,
Thanks for your mini review..do post loads of images with it and do write a detailed review in the Lens review database..

The link says 'this extreme-telephoto lens also has a nearly-indentical A-series counterpart'. So I take that M n A are identical in IQ..

btw, did you check the lens with flash? My 300/4 doesnt stop down in certain camera modes when used with flash..

I think I'll have a choice of exchanging my 300/4 with a 400/5.6 (either K or M or A series)..M400/5.6 has already gotten good reviews (n now I believe A is similar), and now you seem to be very happy with the K version.. how is the sharpness wide open? I will be shooting mostly wideopen..My k300/4 is decently sharp wideopen..

regards,
Hrishi

Last edited by hrishi; 08-03-2008 at 04:10 AM.
08-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
review posted:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33779-review-s...tml#post308439