Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

HELP! Do these lenses fit K1000 & K10D?

(Note: I have just started an intro photography course so this is all new to me – I only learnt last night what an aperture is and what shutter speeds do). So please excuse me if I am asking dumb questions .)

I had a Pentax Z10 body + a Tamron AF 90-300mm lens + a Pentax FA 28-80mm lens. Somehow fireants got into the Z10 body so I’ve had to throw it out, but I still have both lenses. [Unfortunately I don’t have any manuals for the lenses so I don’t know what kind of ‘mount’ they have.]

I just bought a Pentax K1000 body (I was advised this is one of the best film cameras for photography students). I am looking to purchase a digital soon – I was thinking of the K10D.

So, I have a couple of questions:
1) Can the lenses I currently have be used on the K1000? Do I need to buy any type of adaptors to use them? [I realise the auto functions definitely won’t work, but can I use them in manual mode? Although, the Tamron doesn’t seem to have a manual mode I don’t think – does it?]

2) If I can’t use the lenses I have on the K1000, what lens do you recommend I buy?

3) Can the lenses I currently have be used on the K10D?

4) If I can’t use the lenses I have on the K10D, what lens do you recommend I buy?

5) Is the K10D a good camera? Or what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me!

02-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as I know it, any pentax lens should fit any pentax body. Wouldn't hurt to try. I'll give my 80-200 a try on my buddy's K1000 tonight though. So that should answer 1 through 4.

As for question 5. I'm still learning photography, on a tight budget, and the K100D is more than enough camera for me right now.
02-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax film lenses will fit any digital body, so you're in good shape. There are a few lens restrictions on film bodies, however, that are summarized on this page: The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

The K10D is currently Pentax's finest DSLR. It easily matches up to it competitors, and I'd highly recommend it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you both for your helpful (and speedy!) replies. I really appreciate it.

02-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by allie181 Quote
Thank you both for your helpful (and speedy!) replies. I really appreciate it.
Oh hey, I just noticed these were your first postings. WELCOME!!
02-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Oh hey, I just noticed these were your first postings. WELCOME!!

Thank you
02-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #7
Forum Member

As a student, you might also consider the K100d. It's a very nice camera, and less expensive than the K10d, with amazing image quality.

02-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just following up. I mounted my FA 80-200/4.7-5.6 on the K1000. Meters perfectly and shoots! BONUS!
02-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the lenses fit the Z10 they will fit the K1000.

The Pentax FA zoom will work just fine. The aperture ring must be off the "A" setting. You must set the aperture you wish to use on the lens.

The Tamron will work if it has an aperture ring. The aperture ring must be off the "A" setting (if there is one). You must set the aperture you wish to use on the lens.
02-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just following up. I mounted my FA 80-200/4.7-5.6 on the K1000. Meters perfectly and shoots! BONUS!
Brilliant!!! Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Since the lenses fit the Z10 they will fit the K1000.

The Pentax FA zoom will work just fine. The aperture ring must be off the "A" setting. You must set the aperture you wish to use on the lens.

The Tamron will work if it has an aperture ring. The aperture ring must be off the "A" setting (if there is one). You must set the aperture you wish to use on the lens.
I don't think the Tamron has an apeture ring. Is there some sort of adapter I can buy?

Now another question:

Should I buy any other lenses when I buy the camera? (It is usually cheaper to buy them when you buy the camera rather than coming back and buying them later.)

I'm thinking I'm probably covered when it comes to the larger zooms, but maybe I need something with a smaller zoom range e.g. the Sigma 18-50mm or the Pentax 18-55mm. What do you think?
02-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

the kit lens is a great starter lens. pretty sharp, and it's really good value for the money compared to other kit lenses (DA18-55)

having said that, stick with that for now, and figure out what you will need as you go. when you find out what sort of shooting you like to do, then targer the lenses you want ie, fast primes, fast telephotos, etc, etc...

and yes, the K10 is a great body, but if your still just learning, get a lower end model for now....learn the basics then go on grab the bigger body...sometimes having too much can be counter productive)
02-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Brilliant!!! Thanks

I don't think the Tamron has an apeture ring. Is there some sort of adapter I can buy?

Now another question:

Should I buy any other lenses when I buy the camera? (It is usually cheaper to buy them when you buy the camera rather than coming back and buying them later.)

I'm thinking I'm probably covered when it comes to the larger zooms, but maybe I need something with a smaller zoom range e.g. the Sigma 18-50mm or the Pentax 18-55mm. What do you think?

I've been told time and time again go for the SMC DA 16-45 F4 Look for sample pictures from Benjikan in the photo galleries. He's given some excellent feedback to me regarding this lens on a K100D as well.

Me being on a tight budget and wanting to get a broader shooting range, went for the 18-55 kit and the fish-eye.
02-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm sensing a theme here about going for a K100 rather than a K10

I guess the reason I was leaning towards the K10 rather than the K100 is due to the difference in megapixels ie 6.1mp VS 10.2mp and the fact that my teacher said anything below 10mp is bad. But is there really much difference between 6.1 & 10.2? (If there isn't much difference of course I'd prefer the cheaper option so I don't have to completely blow the limit on my credit card! )

I've been told time and time again go for the SMC DA 16-45 F4 Look for sample pictures from Benjikan in the photo galleries. He's given some excellent feedback to me regarding this lens on a K100D as well.

Me being on a tight budget and wanting to get a broader shooting range, went for the 18-55 kit and the fish-eye.
I saw the 16-45, but it is very expensive so I think I'll do what you and Jon suggested and stick with the 18-55.

And now for a dumb question - what does the fish-eye do?
02-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm sensing a theme here about going for a K100 rather than a K10

I guess the reason I was leaning towards the K10 rather than the K100 is due to the difference in megapixels ie 6.1mp VS 10.2mp and the fact that my teacher said anything below 10mp is bad. But is there really much difference between 6.1 & 10.2? (If there isn't much difference of course I'd prefer the cheaper option so I don't have to completely blow the limit on my credit card! )

I saw the 16-45, but it is very expensive so I think I'll do what you and Jon suggested and stick with the 18-55.

And now for a dumb question - what does the fish-eye do?
Funny you should ask not a silly question - it is one funky lens. Think of looking one of those big round shaped mirrors in the corner of a variety store. Shots are almost to that effect. I'm trying it out for very particular shots. If you look around in the galleries, I posted quite a few, as have others (Look for the title, "Show me your fisheye" in the photo galleries).
02-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

never buy into the megapixel count. it's not that important. if you look around here, you will see some great photos taken with 6mp.

and if your just going to print these in 8x10's or 4x6's then, thats more than enough. and mostly if your going to be posting them on the web. chances are you will be downgrading them anyway for web use.

it's not about what a camera can or cannot do, it's how the person holding the camera does what the camera can offer.

your going to be learning with a k1000. shooting with any film slr, regardless if it's manual or auto, will force you to learn your settings right. paying to see your results will do that to you...