Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Old screw fit m42 lenses

Hello there
So this weekend i have got the Pentax m42 lens to k mount adapter.
Can anyone recommend which lens to try and get hold of and if there are any i should avoid altogether.
I want a nice quality with good bokeh for landscape mainly but may try portrait or macro.
Also to use the old lenses i have to press the green button to meter and use manual mode.
K

12-12-2016, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have, and can recommend, the following:

Another m42 that I like is the industar 50-2, but it is a low contrast lens with not that much sharpness outside of image centre. Its very interesting and cheap, but don't expect it to be as good as DA 50mm f1.8. Its just.. different
12-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Of the Pentax M42 primes, there are none to be avoided. The older ones will have old coatings, and there were no high-resolution sensors when they were designed, but we hope for a little character when using them. Also they will screw right onto your Spotmatic.
12-12-2016, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are not interested in modifying the mount (i.e. fixing the auto aperture pin so the lens will stop down the aperture manually, not a problem if you can get an adapter that will enable the auto stop down, never seen one myself but I believe they are out there) you will need an M42 lens with either a pre-set ring or an Auto / Manual switch. The auto enabling pin can be sleeved if you are willing to open the lens mount though some can be tricky to reassemble, or glued. There are plenty of posts here in the forum describing the options.

There are plenty of lenses about that allow the user manually stop down and if you are budget minded the Helios-44M has a switch and the 44-2 is a preset. They are fun lenses and can provide great images with amazing bokeh. There are some nice telephotos too like the Pentacon 135mm F2.8 (preset, with lots of iris blades and you need to figure out that the ring needs to be pulled against a spring to set it or the Petri 135mm F2.8 (auto / manual switch). All of mine cost £10 or less so there are bargains out there if you are not too bothered about them looking a bit tired.

I suggest you have a ball picking up a variety of lenses and trying them out.

12-12-2016, 04:27 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
and there were no high-resolution sensors when they were designed, but we hope for a little character when using them
No but there were high resolution B&W film like Kodak Panatomic X (released in 1933) that had an estimated lp/mm of 170. Some of the professional/technical films were even higher such as Technical Pan rated at 200 lp/mm.
12-12-2016, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've a number of M42 lenses, and I maybe like best an Auto Chinon 45mm f2.8 pancake lens.
As others note, it's hard to go wrong with any of the Takumars, but I really like my Super Takumar 150mm F4. The Super-Takumar 55mm F1.8 can be obtained easily and cheaply and is a gem as is a Mamiya/Sekor 55mm f1.4 lens.
I actually kind of like shooting w/ M42s. Put it in A mode, focus, stop down as desired, green button for exposure, shoot! Or, once I get exposure right, use catch in focus and just shoot!
12-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

S-M-C Macro-Takumar 100mm F4 is a favorite to me.

The Super Takumar 200mm F4 is good and very inexpensive, although it may not be suited to any of your purposes.

You should be aware of the radioactive lenses, like the Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 that I got. The amount of radioactivity is very small and not dangerous, but it does make the lens turn yellow or amber after many years. It's possible to clear up the lens using ultraviolet light, but it takes a while, and it doesn't seem like 100% of the yellow tint can ever be removed. Just something to keep in mind when shopping these.

12-13-2016, 03:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all some of that is very new to me