Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2008, 05:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any Known Quality Variation issue with DA* 50-135?

A recently Canon to Pentax converted friend of mine (and apprentice of mine in a way) who currently lives in a remote location, bought a DA* 50-135 and he is heavily complaining to me that the lens has unacceptable IQ at the long end.
The speciment I used once was a great lens.
So, quick and dirty, before I have him send the lens to me, are there any known quality control issues for this lens;
Thank you

08-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

As an owner, I read a lot of material before buying and I've read a lot of material after buying. In my own research, I haven't noticed any repeated or common complaints, and certainly nothing rising to the level of the 16-50 problems.

My own specimen works quite well at the long end, just as it works well on the short end. It works wonderful wide open, and it works wonderful stopped down.

This is just some data to use. It doesn't mean that there aren't problems in general, and it doesn't mean that this particular lens wasn't dropped or misconstructed.
08-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have zero complaints with mine. There could be a problem with the lens + body together on AF, though. Ask your friend to try a few shots at 135mm manually focusing the lens. It may be that he has FF/BF troubles with the lens. If his or her camera is the K20 it can be adjusted by the owner. If it is any other model, Pentax can fix it up.