Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2016, 12:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus Peaking

Can someone tell me what focus peaking is and how to use it. Is it combined with live view? Is it a function of the camera? I just bought a Rokinon 14mm and I read members using liveview and focus peaking with it.

Michael

12-21-2016, 01:22 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Michael. Focus peaking is a focusing aid used in Live View that puts a white highlight around what is in focus. On your K-3 menu, go to the camera icon #3, using the 4 way controller go down to live view, hit the right side 4 way controller, go down to focus peaking and enable it. In Live View with manual lenses, as you move the focus point, the highlighted focus point moves as you change focus. Hope this helps.
12-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Can someone tell me what focus peaking is and how to use it. Is it combined with live view? Is it a function of the camera? I just bought a Rokinon 14mm and I read members using liveview and focus peaking with it.

Michael
Using Google or searching the Pentax Forums only takes a minute.

12-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapleleaf-Mick Quote
Can someone tell me what focus peaking is and how to use it.

As pjv has described above and that's actually all there is to it. Just one word of caution, knowing that you have had thoughts about using your Rokinon lens for astrophotography: Focus Peaking is fine for well lit scenes, but for me it is no good in low light situations - FP produces too much noise in those situations to be useful.

12-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

One other 'trick' for focus peaking, is to enable the highlight alert that makes the LCD flash blown highlights - the camera will treat the sparklies as such and (while not quite as accurate) will make them stand out a LOT more.