Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
By the way, the long awaited "DA Wide Zoom" (12-28 by the looks of it), due in 2016, has not appeared.

12-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Apparently, a company would buy another just that someone on an Internet forum would have a cheaper lens

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
There is nothing new coming until September 2017 if at all.
You made that up, didn't you?

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well the 2 DFAs are not the first Tamron rebadges, there were earlier ones....so it IS a policy.And the demand for primes seems to be pretty high judging from comments that I read on here.
No, it's not a policy. Rebadging a Tamron now and then doesn't make it a policy, and there's nothing that says any of the primes from the roadmap would be rebadged Tamrons.
Let's wait for some specifications, product images, anything. Without knowing at least the focal length and aperture opening, speculation is pointless.
12-23-2016, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #33
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the Tamron/Pentax lenses are co-designed rather than simply rebadged.
12-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, it's not a policy
HA HA, in your opinion....They rebadge Apsc and now DFA....its NOT a policy, so it must be a habit!

it wouldn't surprise me IF a prime or 2 was originally a Tamron design....and of course minus the focus motor but with the Pentax coastings and WR/AW?

---------- Post added 12-24-16 at 12:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe the Tamron/Pentax lenses are co-designed rather than simply rebadged.
I believe Tamron designs their lenses then enters a "arrangement with Ricoh" and Ricohs engineers put what it needs onto the design....R/P don't change the optical formula.

12-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #35
Pentaxian

IIRC Pentax never rebadged any APS-C lens except two slow superzooms (and yes, I'm well aware of their collaboration with Tokina). Your laughter is not supported by facts.

As for rebadging Tamrons, that's nothing new, they did that in the past as well - usually for lenses they wouldn't be bothered to design themselves. Having two more doesn't make it a policy, nor a habit.

Last edited by Kunzite; 12-23-2016 at 06:31 PM.
12-23-2016, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #36

IMHO, the roadmap is simply a list of vaporware.
12-23-2016, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #37
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I'm still staring at the tea leaves but not seeing anything yet.
ermm..... you need to have your eyes checked then, because you should see tea leaves if you are staring at them.

I'd hazard no one here knows what is being released in 2017 for certainty. Even our 'insider' got it wrong with the primes supposedly released this year. Things don't always happen according to plan because the market is always moving and shifting due to the world doing the same.

One thing is pretty assured, and that is we will see several of these threads pop up in the new year. With the same thoughts shared. It is a Pentax Forums tradition to cycle through the same topics and discussions. Mix in a little personality clashing.. some huffing and puffing when the new products are released (and not what someone(s) want)... and it's just right.
12-23-2016, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I already started huffing and puffing, I want a re-release of my 70-210 with Aspherical elements and LD glass. Is that to much to ask? Pentax is stupid. Someone insult me, I feel like a rant.

12-23-2016, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Part of that tight security is via obscurity. Canon rumors drive ad revenue to many websites. Pentax rumors get PF interest but are irrelevant to most photographers.

---------- Post added 12-23-16 at 06:40 PM ----------

What would Ricoh do after such a purchase??? Continue selling Canon and Nixon lenses, competing with itself? Or shut down 90% of Tamron's business?
Ricoh bought up a lot of the copier business and is the largest copier business in the world (I think). In the copier business many companies make machines for each other, it may be less common now than in the recent past, with Canon gobbling up companies the manufacturing base has possibly shrunk. If you can make money competing with yourself, why not? When has Ricoh/Pentax done anything you would expect?
12-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
By the way, the long awaited "DA Wide Zoom" (12-28 by the looks of it), due in 2016, has not appeared.
That's why is says 2016 or Later
12-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
What would Ricoh do after such a purchase??? Continue selling Canon and Nixon lenses, competing with itself? Or shut down 90% of Tamron's business?
Throw a welcome back to Pentax party for Jun Hirakawa and put him to work on the next wave of limiteds?
12-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Most of those vague descriptors on that roadmap strongly resemble the other new Tamron SP lenses.

Wide-angle single focus <==?==> TAMRON SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
Large aperture standard <==?==> TAMRON SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
Large aperture medium telephoto <==?==> TAMRON SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
Just great, if this is the case.

One of the reasons I've been a Pentaxian for so long (decades) is due to the quality of Pentax designed and built lenses. Looking at the in depth review of the new 24-70 which is as we know, a Tamron rebadge, I'm disappointed.

Here's an example... why.... and I'm quoting from the current in depth review of the Pentax 24-70 F2.8, which is featured in this forum:

"The biggest letdown during our tests has got to be the disappointing resolution figures in the edges and corners. Edges near the middle of the focal range are actually perfectly usable, but the results get worse at both ends of the range. Corners are never really impressive. For a lens that is likely to be used for landscapes as much as for portraits, we would have expected better.

Based on these results, we can better understand why Pentax refrained from labeling the 24-70mm a star lens. It is certainly better than average, but not quite up there with the best of the best. "

Seems kind of a lukewarm assessment to me. I have been struggling with the idea of buying a K-1...not because of the K-1 body, which I believe to be exceptional, but because of the 24-70 lens. I want an exceptional lens to go with the exceptional K-1 body.

I will admit I have no experience with Tamron lenses, but if I'm paying good money for a lens, I want it to be top notch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pentax 28-105, seems to generate more enthusiasm.

I hope in the future, Pentax is not going to be merely rebadging Tamron lenses.
12-23-2016, 11:44 PM   #43
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Throw a welcome back to Pentax party for Jun Hirakawa and put him to work on the next wave of limiteds?
Why would he want to come back?
12-23-2016, 11:56 PM - 3 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

The DFA 28-105 is a Pentax lens that is optically excellent, and a much more convenient size than the 24-70. It's a great companion for the K-1. The DFA* 70-200 is also pure Pentax, and is a modern marvel. So, to my mind, the Pentax lens designers are right on their game recently.

Nevertheless, I don't discount the Tamron/Pentax hybrids. The DFA 15-30 is very nice (if a little too big). I am happy to judge each lens on its merits, irrespective of provenance.
12-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Ricoh bought up a lot of the copier business and is the largest copier business in the world (I think). In the copier business many companies make machines for each other, it may be less common now than in the recent past, with Canon gobbling up companies the manufacturing base has possibly shrunk. If you can make money competing with yourself, why not? When has Ricoh/Pentax done anything you would expect?
Always. They always did either something that I was expecting, or - when I couldn't anticipate - that made me think, hey, this makes sense.

By becoming a third-party lens maker, they wouldn't be merely competing with themselves; they would actively support other makers' systems. Why would Ricoh Imaging want to be in the business of supporting other makers' systems?
And honestly, the reasons given in this thread are downright silly.

---------- Post added 24-12-16 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Just great, if this is the case.

One of the reasons I've been a Pentaxian for so long (decades) is due to the quality of Pentax designed and built lenses. Looking at the in depth review of the new 24-70 which is as we know, a Tamron rebadge, I'm disappointed.

[...]

I hope in the future, Pentax is not going to be merely rebadging Tamron lenses.
Don't be bothered too much by such speculation; this is just the usual "OMG Pentax are crazy and they'll to something that doesn't make any sense" talk we're getting pretty much before any major show/Pentax announcement

The D FA 24-70 might not be as good as the best OEM 24-70, but neither is it as expensive. Both the Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR and the Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM are well over 2,000$; Canon's is cheaper, but also older and not stabilized - and its MSRP was 2200$.

In the present, Pentax is not merely rebadging Tamron lenses. 5 new D FA lenses released so far, 2 rebadged/modified Tamrons and 3 Pentax designs? That's less than 50%. Don't forget that.
Besides, Tamron doesn't have lenses to match everything on that roadmap (but, at most 2 of them - and even this, it doesn't mean it will happen). Relax, enjoy the holidays and wait for CP+!

---------- Post added 24-12-16 at 10:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
That would be a very expensive party.
Out of curiosity, what are you using to crack an egg?
a. a hammer
b. a sledgehammer
c. an atomic bomb?