Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #91
Pentaxian

I think Pentax just bought some time to find out what everyone else is presenting. The short tele arena is open: Sigma Art 85, Nikon 1.4/105, Canon still in the box for a new 2/135 and all those 1.4/85 in recent years were more or less all spectacular... you don't want to put an ordinary lens in this arena before you know all the details.
Therefore, the roadmap puts the wide ange FF lens first with the Sogma Art 35 as well known competitor. The 50ish prime will be next, nothing spectacular, but something well establisehd in all systems.
A new APS-C camera would be interesting and much more interesting than no FF tele converter. Add a new AF and the camera would become interesting for K1 users asadvanced tele, fps and AF option.
2016 was Pentax' FF year, 2017 will show us there Pentax wants to go in the near future. DSLR APS-C or mirrorless APS-C. FF and APS-C. FF all the way?

12-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
FF all the way?
Not possible, unless we all got rich to afford it.
12-27-2016, 05:32 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt people buying higher end bodies are going to stick with kit lenses. Most likely they'd be buying primes and pro zooms.
12-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Have you seen the DA* 50-135?
The 50-135 is compact *for a zoom*. Compare it to a run of the mill 50mm prime or the 100/2.8 Macro WR and the 50-135 is huge in comparison.

FWIW I am mostly a zoom user. In most situations the extra size is worth the versatility for me.

12-27-2016, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, and I see that compared to friends', pentax zooms are compact compared to most other brands.

But, still zooms like the 50-135, can be a lot to carry. Of course it's subjective because users of a zoom like that may not carry it around but rather use it in a studio.

I mostly shoot landscapes and street and use a DA 21 and FA 31 in lieu of my 17-50 and make up any shortcomings with my feet (or a 43 if I expect a need).

The real trick is getting away with one or two primes. If you need more, than a zoom may be better.

And, finally, there are times I use my 18-135 because it is a compact zoom that is much better than one would expect. Even I admit that lens is easy to carry. You just give up a sliver of quality.
12-28-2016, 05:44 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Not possible, unless we all got rich to afford it.
If Pentax can make more money selling a couple FF lenses, why bother making a ton of low end APS-C lenses...
This is really a business decision and has not much to do with us - OK if we buy more lenses and if Pentax makes the same profit selling an APS-C or FF lens and wants to keep customers happy, we become important again.
12-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
If Pentax can make more money selling a couple FF lenses, why bother making a ton of low end APS-C lenses...
Yet another "brilliant" strategy which, if implemented, would kill Pentax in the blink of an eye!

Pentax is selling many of those FF lenses to APS-C users. Yes, the 3 most expensive Pentax lenses - that would be the D FA* 70-200mm, the D FA 150-450mm and the DA 560mm - are bought and used by APS-C users. Get rid of the APS-C users, and you'd be getting rid of FF sales as well.
APS-C is supporting FF, and the other way around. There's no getting rid of either (except on forums, where people weirdly think that everything but what they're using in that specific moment must cease existing at once!).
12-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yet another "brilliant" strategy which, if implemented, would kill Pentax in the blink of an eye!

Pentax is selling many of those FF lenses to APS-C users. Yes, the 3 most expensive Pentax lenses - that would be the D FA* 70-200mm, the D FA 150-450mm and the DA 560mm - are bought and used by APS-C users. Get rid of the APS-C users, and you'd be getting rid of FF sales as well.
APS-C is supporting FF, and the other way around. There's no getting rid of either (except on forums, where people weirdly think that everything but what they're using in that specific moment must cease existing at once!).
You may want to quote me completely. Pentax has several options and all of them are valid from a business perspective.
With limited resources Pentax will have to take some decisions to figure out where they want to be in 5 years time.

And how weired is your own prediction? "Yet another "brilliant" strategy which, if implemented, would kill Pentax in the blink of an eye!" Very single minded.

12-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #99
Pentaxian

No, not every possible option is valid from a business perspective; and being open minded doesn't mean to accept every theoretical possibility as a working business strategy. Thinking like that will only get you farther from the truth.

Ricoh Imaging already said where, or rather what they want to be: a leading camera company. And yes, getting rid of most of their user base means death for the K-mount.
01-12-2017, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Take into consideration the 55-300 PLM. LOTS of requests for support for it on here.. lots of high fiving once Ricoh offered support on the K-50 and K-3 yet very few, if any, mentions of people buying this lens now...
I think you're missing the point. The support requested (and delivered by Ricoh) isn't for the new 55-300mm per se, but rather for all KAF4 lenses. I suspect that where this will pay off for Ricoh is once they release the new D-FA primes. It's likely that these primes will all be KAF4 lenses, and that many APS-C shooters will lust after them. And after buying (some of) these primes for their APS-C bodies, these same shooters will be more likely to upgrade to a full frame body...
01-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DrBop Quote
Thanks for the quick, complete, reply.

Looking at the "Roadmap," I'd have to categorize that as Official Tea leaves.

Now I understand why there is still so much speculation in the face of the "official" word!
"2017 or later"

Only vague hints of specifications for the lenses.

And then in the fine print: "Roadmap might change without notice."
Wow. I understand Ricoh not wanting to over-commit. But this is tantamount to: We might release some lenses in the future. Or maybe not!

Well, if the Road Map is at all accurate, we should be heading toward the release of a great wide angle lens soon.

Looking forward to that!

Don
That's why I got most of what I wanted before buying a K-1. The kingpin being my Tamron SP AF 300 2.8. Now if they'll just give me something a little bit wide angle, between 16 and 20.
01-13-2017, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

And I hope...

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
From our local distributer I got information that there will be 4-5 lenses in 2017.

Plus new high-end APS-C, price level between K-3 and K-1.
...that they aren't going to forget us APSC shooters in the lens department. A nice sub F2 - 85 or 135 PLM prime would be nice. And a new WP 12-28 F4 zoom with a PLM motor. I hope that motor is their new standard.

And better video....they've GOT to do that.

Cheers,
Cameron