Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New Pentax Lenses in 2017: Really?!

For some time now, I've been reading in the posts here (and elsewhere) to expect new Pentax lenses to be announced (and released?) in 2017.

The funny thing is, I can't seem to identify any official, credible, valid source for these claims.

Question: On what evidence are these expectations for new Pentax lenses based? Ricoh announcements at an industry trade show? Pentax press releases? Insiders' loose lips? Hopes? Tea leaves?

Is there a body of evidence (analogous to Olympus's Lens Road Map) that perhaps I just have overlooked?

Thanks for setting me straight.

Don

12-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #2
Forum Member

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_D_FA_Lens_Roadmap.pdf

Still quite vague but official
12-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bewatek Quote
Thanks for the quick, complete, reply.

Looking at the "Roadmap," I'd have to categorize that as Official Tea leaves.

Now I understand why there is still so much speculation in the face of the "official" word!
"2017 or later"

Only vague hints of specifications for the lenses.

And then in the fine print: "Roadmap might change without notice."
Wow. I understand Ricoh not wanting to over-commit. But this is tantamount to: We might release some lenses in the future. Or maybe not!

Well, if the Road Map is at all accurate, we should be heading toward the release of a great wide angle lens soon.

Looking forward to that!

Don
12-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From our local distributer I got information that there will be 4-5 lenses in 2017.

Plus new high-end APS-C, price level between K-3 and K-1.

12-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DrBop Quote
New Pentax Lenses in 2017: Really?! For some time now, I've been reading in the posts here (and elsewhere) to expect new Pentax lenses to be announced (and released?) in 2017. The funny thing is, I can't seem to identify any official, credible, valid source for these claims. Question: On what evidence are these expectations for new Pentax lenses based? Ricoh announcements at an industry trade show? Pentax press releases? Insiders' loose lips? Hopes? Tea leaves? Is there a body of evidence (analogous to Olympus's Lens Road Map) that perhaps I just have overlooked? Thanks for setting me straight. Don
The evidence is photos of Ricoh imaging lab with prototypes of primes lenses in the background, a year ago or so. I believe a prime lens is less challenging to design than a high end zoom with fast autofocus / tracking, and so, my opinion is that Ricoh imaging aren't going to fill in a costly inventory of lenses if the sales of Pentax K1 aren't sufficient to break-even when aligning lens prices to market price levels. In other words, if they judge that Pentax K1 sales are insufficient, they won't release more products for this line, except if they identified what prevent more sales and they know how to work it around. That was the sort of statement of Ricoh exec. at an exhibition at the time of release of the K1: someone asked if they would do a low cost version of the K1, and he replied something like: "we will see how the K1 sells and then we will decide what to do". Or they'll not fully extends the FF product line and invest into another area, for instance it could be mirrorless, or it could be a D500 kind of camera, or something completely different , or nothing at all. 2017 will be interesting , wait and see.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-23-2016 at 10:51 AM.
12-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #6

I find it strange too that we haven't at least heard some Pentax rumors/leaks. If they were in production someone would have leaked something by now surely. I strongly believe though, however, that if Pentax don't release some new primes into the new year they will loose a lot of potential k1 customers. What is available just isn't enough for the demanding market in the versatile world of photography
12-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
From our local distributer I got information that there will be 4-5 lenses in 2017.

Plus new high-end APS-C, price level between K-3 and K-1.
Pentec ?.. Hmm

12-23-2016, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Relax. The new lenses and APSc flagship are coming.

And maybe something big out of left field.
12-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Relax.
:-) that's what this christmas brek is for. K1's asking for go out for some outdoor fitness in nice winter landscape area.
12-23-2016, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I find it strange too that we haven't at least heard some Pentax rumors/leaks. If they were in production someone would have leaked something by now surely.
Not at all. Ricoh has exceptionally tight security. Quite a number of releases over the last few years were preceded only by "official leaks" a few weeks in advance. They are a very conservative organization, nothing is going to be "leaked" until it is very nearly on the shelf.
12-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #11

Most of those vague descriptors on that roadmap strongly resemble the other new Tamron SP lenses.

Wide-angle single focus <==?==> TAMRON SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
Large aperture standard <==?==> TAMRON SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
Large aperture medium telephoto <==?==> TAMRON SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD

Last edited by JeffB; 12-23-2016 at 11:20 AM.
12-23-2016, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Pentec ?.. Hmm
Yope
12-23-2016, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I doubt Pentax can do all 5 next year, but we'll probably see a few of them. Its weird that no prototypes were in display at photokina.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Most of those vague descriptors on that roadmap all strongly resemble the other new Tamron SP lenses.

Wide-angle single focus <==?==> TAMRON SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
Large aperture standard <==?==> TAMRON SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
Large aperture medium telephoto <==?==> TAMRON SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD
As stated on the k1 full frame Facebook page a member (jun kirakawa) stated that there may be new collaborations in the near future, what we don't know. But maybe they may use the tamron systems again. Having said that there is a desperate need for a 16-20 prime for all those landscape photographers out there
12-23-2016, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I doubt Pentax can do all 5 next year, but we'll probably see a few of them. Its weird that no prototypes were in display at photokina.
Maybe we'll see prototypes at CP+. It just seemed that the Japanese companies didn't really go all out for Photokina this year...