Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

WOW! It's not often that I find plug-ins that radically change the way I post-process images, but I did some tests with the Fisheye-Hemi plugin and the results are so good that I ended up buying it online.

IMHO it's not "perfect" because it only has three presets that you cannot customize to meet the needs of your particular fisheye lens and image sensor combo ... but the results are better than what I get from the alternatives I've been using.

I and actually use Fisheye-Hemi to remove the majority of the fisheye distortion in an image AND preserve the image detail. With other de-fishing software I've used usually it's a trade-off where you have to sacrifice a certain amount of detail if you go to the point of extreme fisheye correction.

02-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks a lot for the jump-start, troyz. i finally managed to use your settings (had to import them into hugin and have it write a ptstitcher script, which now nona understands, strange, but nevermind); i use (imagemagick's) convert -shave 0x192 for cropping (that is, shave 192 pixels from top and bottom). i hope i will be back with a version of your script for linux (bash) soon.

here is a first attempt (the original is two pictures up)

web-zenitar-defished-shave.jpg

Last edited by nanok; 08-30-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: disambiguation
02-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
i hope i will be back soon with a version of your script for linux (bash) soon.
Zombie thread lives!!

I'm glad you found the information useful. Here's a link to a page with a more recent version of the script.

defishing_examples Photo Gallery by troy at pbase.com
02-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I love the look and FOV of my 10-17 FE but I'd like to play around with de-fishing sometime. I've searched and searched, and seen much talk of defishing with this or that software most of which I've downloaded and played with, but failed to be satisfied with my results.

It seems that the most recommended program would be PTLens, and other programs which use the PTLens database, and it seems to me that the PTLens database doesn't include the Pentax DA 10-17 FE, which is the lens in question for me.

So if you've succeeded in de-fishing your shots from this lens, would you mind sharing your secrets with me? (or at least pointing me toward a tutorial out there somewhere.)

Thanks.
In response to a very old query - can I recommend Debarrelizer, a plug in filter from The Imaging Factory? I'm not sure that defishing is it's prime purpose, but it does a good job. You can judge the degree of correction very easily, and you can control whether to maintain the horizontal or vertical FOV.

Tim

02-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
back to the OP

I use the fisheye distortion correction tool in PSP X2.

I don;t have a proper fisheye, but a 24mm lens with a .5 wide angle adaptor that gives me significant distortion.
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
WOW! It's not often that I find plug-ins that radically change the way I post-process images, but I did some tests with the Fisheye-Hemi plugin and the results are so good that I ended up buying it online.
Me too - I just tried it out and was impressed enough to by a copy. I agree it's not perfect, but it is remarkably good!
02-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #22

BTW, I found a coupon "Savvy" that gave 10% off