Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
MrA, I've owned 2 of these - the Vivitar S1 70-210 Ver 1. Never had any problems with either.

It almost sounds like someone took it apart (for cleaning maybe) and got one (or more) of the lens elements reversed. I had a different type lens serviced and the cost was around $75 USD, just to give you a ballpark figure.

If further testing proves out what your initial tests show maybe you can return it??? Good luck.
I bought one of Chip's Vivitar Series 1 70-210 Version 1 from Kiron. While everyone are looking for the version 3 from Komine, I think the verison 1 is not bad at all. I sold it later on due to my inability to hand hold the lens for steady shot. The Kiron copy weighs close to 2 lbs but it surprisingly has the best optics among few zoom that I have used. The color and bokeh are superb for the price under $100. If one can withstand the heavier weight comparing to newer zoom, this version 1 from Kiron should be considered. The komine copy can easily cost over $200 to $350, whereas the Kiron is cheaper and it has constant f/3.5 throughout the focal range.

I sold my copy and my impressions & test shots in

Vivitar 70-210 "Series 1" f/3.5 from Kiron - Hin's Tech Corner

More on Flickr Test Set

A bit boring test shots, but color, contrast and sharpness are surprisingly
good, and I believe close up at 210mm with 1:2.2 ratio is good too, though I have
not tried it.

After I sold Chip's copy to another pentaxian, I knew I made a mistake as the lens is a great and fast zoom to have in one's gear. If I have to do it all over again, I would buy it again and learn to hand-hold heavier lens.

I recommend v1 from Kiron next to the v3 from Komine.

Thanks,
Hin

08-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well after buying the V3 Vivitar 70-210mm went and won one of THESE last night. Brand new in the box for just under $170 delivered. Not sure which I should keep when they both arrive.

Last edited by Mike.P; 08-03-2008 at 11:41 PM.
08-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
VERRY nice photos with yours, Hin!!!!

Dear Hin:

The PIPE here once again in this thread...a link to a photo of my Vivitar Series 1 lens is now viewable thanks to the Yahoo Pentax *istD group's photo section!

STILL looking forward to getting some nice "flight action" photos at Old Rhinebeck, in just four weeks from now...some of the best photos from my Vivitar, on my K100D, should be viewable through the Yahoo site, and I'll be posting the best ones of the RC scale aeromodeling action from that event, held each year since 1966!

"Wish me luck" in just GETTING there the weekend after Labor Day, with my thirteen year old American small car, with its potentially creaky manual transmission...the Pentax and I DO plan to be there somehow, though, for hopefully the whole weekend...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE...