Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
What can be said that hasn't already? I know....nice bum!

The End, perhaps?

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Attachment 16538
(Note: have a look at all the duct tape. Think he's broken a few hoods from just falling over?)
Bwahaha... you know, if it came to needing to kit out like this to achieve the professional part, I can guarantee I'd be happy as an artist with my K20 and a diminuitive prime. I think the original order of the phogot/artist/pro remains, lol... heck, FWIW, I think because art is so subjective, many students (even self-taught ones like myself) probably feel more like artists than photographers, heh. Perhaps the order matters not all. There'll always be something to learn in each catagory.

But man, that is a funny pic.

08-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
What can be said that hasn't already? I know....nice bum!
[/QUOTE]

A quality lens will do that....
08-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
My first question would be will you be shooting a lot of architecture? If so then the 10-20mm makes the most sense. The 16-50 is great but overlaps the 18-250 and still has good IQ. Get a small monopod and take it along if that's possible. If not get an Ultra pod or some other mini tripod. With those 2 lenses, you have it all covered. Enjoy the trip.
Thanks Peter - yes, that was my inclination. If I really CAN'T live with just 2 lenses, I might just add in my 31mm LTD as well - heck, it doesn't take up much room...

The flash, of course, a polarizer, and a monopod as you suggest. That should do it, all tucked up in a LowePro Slingshot 200 (plus the charger, some cards, a lens cleaner, my Epson 5000 to backup my pics, --- arrgghhh, where does it all end?

Dang - maybe I'll just take my little Canon TX1 and leave all the Pentax gear at home for this trip? It's the best do-it-all camera - stills and video - that sits in a little pouch on my belt.

Wonder if it makes bums look as nice as the Pentax gear of KungPOW..?
08-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
My point is, don't make lens collecting and getting the ultimate lens for the focal range the goal. Those who are lucky enough to acquire [what's considered] the best lens for the focal range should be careful. Don't become elitist or intimidating to the new DSLR owner with a kit lens. The goal is the photograph. If it's a good one, I for one, could care less if it was taken with an Albinar.
since my english not that good, i have to read this post carefully. event the title need more ..word by word examination to get what it mean.

but now me..

agree..agree..agree..agree.

several month ago i cant slept well everynight, and i always thinking about a replacement for my kit lens. i always thought gotta get that 16-45, immediately. because im sure i can pull something nice with that lens. not with my kit.

but im wrong. dead wrong. even my kit can pull something nice if we have chance and vision about something

thanks peter for a very nice thread.

my kit lens showing its capability

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/32931-field-re...-kit-lens.html

08-05-2008, 05:10 AM   #50

Simply can't stop thanking Peter and all the participants of this thread, especially KungPOW and wildman! It's a real antidote to LBA.

My story to date is very short. I bought K200D with 18-55 kit lens three months ago and that was the time when my techno-fever started: I discovered a huge lot of forums and communities dedicated to Pentax and photography in general, learnt all the technical stuff about Pentax lenses and... was shooting less than ever before I had almost monumental plans on buying lenses: my "roadmap" included all three DA limiteds, DA* 50-135 and DA 12-24. Have nothing to say against these lenses but I was aiming to buying them simply because I was overloaded with other people's praises and admirations to them, not because of real need.

Then I stopped spending time in forums and communities and started to shoot more and more with my kit lens (and with DA 50-200 which I bought a month later). Somehow I learnt to use them properly and now there's nothing I can't shoot with them (partly because I don't shoot in poor light and don't do macro). Then I finally realised that I didn't need all the lenses from my former "roadmap" - I only needed two zooms covering ~18mm to ~200mm range. I'm fully satisfied with my present double-kit and will just upgrade it to better zooms from time to time.

That's why I'm only planning buying two lenses until next summer (DA 17-70 and DA 55-300). Maybe, I will skip this stage and go straight to DA* zooms but in any way this eventual upgrades won't take good shots away from me, as well as too much money. Some cheap primes, such as Jupiter 9 and A 50/1.7 may also come to my bag.

This thread has been very important to me as a confirmation that I'm going (and thinking) in right direction.

All the best,
Leo.
08-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Portenio Quote
Simply can't stop thanking Peter and all the participants of this thread, especially KungPOW and wildman! It's a real antidote to LBA.
Just a little addendum to all this:

There is the issue of real world practical quality.

I borrowed a FA 35mm f/2.0 Pentax prime for a few days. I'm just looking at the files right now.

The over-all optical quality of this lens is so high that there really is no need, in my opinon, for "better" sheer raw optical quality. You get to a certain point and any "improvement" just becomes abstract and theoretical giving very little if any real perceived improvement in the final image. I'm talking about a lens that sells for $300 tops.

Simply put:
enough is enough.

Last edited by wildman; 08-05-2008 at 06:07 AM.
08-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Just a little addendum to all this:

There is the issue of real world practical quality.

I borrowed a FA 35mm f/2.0 Pentax prime for a few days. I'm just looking at the files right now.

The over-all optical quality of this lens is so high that there really is no need, in my opinon, for "better" sheer raw optical quality. You get to a certain point and any "improvement" just becomes abstract and theoretical giving very little if any real perceived improvement in the final image. I'm talking about a lens that sells for $300 tops.

Simply put:
enough is enough.

Well put. Another way to put it, to paraphrase something Kelly said above:

Want does not equal need.

Every one of us buys lenses and bodies based on want - the only folks here who might really need the equipment are the ones who earn a living with photography.

So to say that no-one needs a 31ltd when the FA 35 does just fine is true, but they also don't need that FA 35 either. It's all just a sliding scale of want, with everyone's personal want list unique to themselves, based on what you find attractive in the price range you're willing to pay.

I have a friend who just bought a $20K+ bass boat that he admits he'll use maybe 4 or 5 times per year. He's not rich, but he feels comfortable in his purchase because owning the boat is fulfilling to him, and it gives him the freedom to go bass fishing whenever he has the time. He doesn't need that boat, but I'm not going to tell him that, because he knows that. (and plus, maybe I can borrow it. )

08-05-2008, 05:52 PM   #53
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you make your living . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Well put. Another way to put it, to paraphrase something Kelly said above:

Want does not equal need.

Every one of us buys lenses and bodies based on want - the only folks here who might really need the equipment are the ones who earn a living with photography.

So to say that no-one needs a 31ltd when the FA 35 does just fine is true, but they also don't need that FA 35 either. It's all just a sliding scale of want, with everyone's personal want list unique to themselves, based on what you find attractive in the price range you're willing to pay.

I have a friend who just bought a $20K+ bass boat that he admits he'll use maybe 4 or 5 times per year. He's not rich, but he feels comfortable in his purchase because owning the boat is fulfilling to him, and it gives him the freedom to go bass fishing whenever he has the time. He doesn't need that boat, but I'm not going to tell him that, because he knows that. (and plus, maybe I can borrow it. ).
There are many aspects to the hobby, including (in my case) the sheer pleasure of holding the finely crafted mechanisms, enjoying the sounds and feel of a Pentax mechanical camera and appreciating the hand-work that went in to assembling the older bodies and lenses. I don't expect everyone to understand or respect that, but I know it is true for me. They didn't say, "Just hold a Pentax" in the 60's for nothing!

I literally think about the people who worked on my cameras. I like knowing Eric has adjusted almost everything I own - it makes this a bit more personal and romantic for me.

I think Peter's post is a call to those of us who spend most of our time touching and typing to get out and explore the rest of the hobby RIGHT NOW, with whatever you have in your bag.

Read his signature line. It is an imperative to get out, look for and let the beauty in the world it into your heart and then let light onto the sensor - it is about seeing beauty, not about photography - a spiritual call.

He never anywhere tells us to stop dreaming about lenses - he tells us to do more NOW with the ones we have. We can do someting with the ones we want to have later, when (if) we have them.

That's why I made the rule I stated in my post above. It's OK to have a lot of lenses - MANY more than I need just to take hobby photographs - as long as I use everything I have. Its OK FOR ME to have a SMC Tak 50/1,4, K50/1.4, M50/1.7 and FA50/1.4 as long as I use them (I sold the M50/1.4).

So I have an "M day" once in a while and take my K10D and MESuper out for a walk with my two M lenses in a small bag. I have "Tak days," and "Series 1" days and "Film days" and "K days", "Long days" and "Wide days," etc.

And I've sold some lenses that I only bought because some website reviewer said they were sharp, or great - but I never got them out of a camera bag ever.

It has become a part of the enjoyment of this hobby for me to combine getting better at the craft and the art with getting to know the different lenses.

Maybe I'm just a teenager at heart, trying everything without much discrimination - and maybe later I'll mature, and have a smaller kit. But for now I'm enjoying this immensely just as I am.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-05-2008 at 08:49 PM.
08-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I have a friend who just bought a $20K+ bass boat that he admits he'll use maybe 4 or 5 times per year. He's not rich, but he feels comfortable in his purchase because owning the boat is fulfilling to him, and it gives him the freedom to go bass fishing whenever he has the time. He doesn't need that boat, but I'm not going to tell him that, because he knows that. (and plus, maybe I can borrow it. )
No joke here. Sharing what we have only makes us richer.
08-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Just found this thread, must agree that in the end, it doesn't matter what you shot it with - if you capture your vision with it, then there is nothing wrong with the glass.

Do I wish I had $3k or so to blow on a bunch more lenses? Sure I do. But I've got all my bases covered at the moment.

I shot for 3 years at a newspaper with nothing but a 28-70mm manual focus adaptall lens on a Yashica fx-7 body, followed by a ZX-M to start my way to owning a Pentax system. I kept the original Yashica 50mm f/1.9 lens on that body, and the adaptall lens on the Pentax. That was my entire system. One time, the sports editor was in a crunch and warily asked me to shoot a basketball game. Normally his sports reporters did their own shooting, but this time he didn't have someone who was comfortable with a camera. His comment to me the next day was "you can shoot sports for me anytime you want." That rocked, I felt so good (he was a hardass and really would have told you "you stink" if he thought so - he was total no-nonsense)

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
since my english not that good,
. . .
my kit lens showing its capability

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/32931-field-re...-kit-lens.html
Well said, and your english is fine. (and the shots tell the whole story anyway, nicely done!)

Last edited by khardur; 08-05-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: it's late, I didn't make any sense
08-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I did not know that you had started a thread like this showing that I had not looked into the forum for quite a while.

If money could buy different photography styles or approach, I would definitely go for it.

In JPGMAG, there are numerous published photographs taken by point and shoot. Some of the unsharp images are just masterpieces. It is always amazing talking to these individual photographers regarding their philosophy of capturing images as art.

Like Voe, he is actually distancing Fa 77 ltd. Instead, he is going for lenses that would create his desired images. No need to use a chain saw to chop onions.
09-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #57
Veteran Member

A shame I didn't see this thread when it came out, but better late than never.

I agree with you Peter. 100%
09-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #58
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I just read this thread myself, thoroughly. A brilliant thread,, Peter, with many very well put opinions.
It is a thread which sets ones mind to some serious assessment and thinking.......and thinking.
Much appreciated, all
09-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #59

I love going back to basics, this was shot with my old K100d & an SMC A 50mm 1.7 for my A Level photography course

Can't beat a cheap prime huh????

I have also been using my 30 Vivitar series 1 M42 mount 70-210mm 3.5 for gig shooting, love this manual focus lens & really shows your photographing skills to

Infadels at Bingley Music Festival

09-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #60
Veteran Member

That's what you can get with a lens that costs less than $100. I have the same lens and plan on spending some more time with it this fall as a part of my adventures with my LBA challenge. Right now, the 12-24 is on the camera will will spend most of it's time there over the next week. It's already come in handy today as I've used it to take pictures of some too-small jeans that I put up for sale on Fleabay. Over the next week, I hope to use it for more artistic pursuits.

Heather