Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Cabstar

nice shot, with it being black and white and cobble stones included it reminds me of a scene from the house of wax movie or Jack the Ripper and the Whitechapel area.

Nice one

Neil

09-14-2008, 02:33 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best photography lesson I ever had was one of my first: pick a random spot and don't move from there until you find a picture, another picture, and another picture. All around us are beautiful things, events and simple light. Being able to see that beauty necessarily precedes capturing it, and so refining the tools used to capture light doesn't make much sense until the tool used to observe beauty--the photog--is sharp enough to put those tools to good use.

Hi. I'm new to DSLRs. :-) I'm a proud new owner of a GX-10, and I love the kit lens, but I can't wait to put an A28/2.8 on it because I don't want all the hassle of a zooming autofocus. Not yet, at least. I marvel over the 18-55, not to mention the DA* series, as amazing technology; but the simple fact of the matter is that using a lens with less flexibility will make me a better photographer. I need to learn to see light the way a sensor sees it before I can get to where I want to go with my images. Learning takes lots of exposures and attempts, successes and failures; I want as few variables in the equation as possible until I can comprehend the basic kit. In short, to me, the kit lens isn't just sufficient but rather far more for me than is good.

I can't wait until I post a picture for critique, and someone says: "one thing that didn't work for me might have been better if you had used such-and-such technique." Then I can google that technique and learn. And maybe that technique will require new kit, that new kit will provide me with a new tool, and by that time I'll be a good enough photog to be able to utilize that new tool. ("Hey! Fisheyes aren't the devil incarnate, because they're unbeatable to do x. Maybe I should pick one up...") But right now I can't even use a 28/2.8 well, so that's where I'll start.

For what it is worth, threads like this--be they realistic or retrogrouch--are definitely part of the reason I went with the Pentax system. Thanks to everybody.
09-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #63
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Cabstar, That is an awesome shot without question. When I saw it, my first thought was Sherlock Holmes. I loved those books and read the stories too many times. "hound of the Baskervilles" came to mind even though the story took place in the moors.

Regardless, that's the whole point. Some have correctly stated that you may need certain tools if you are paid for the work you create. I fall into that camp. But even at that, I don't have any DA* lenses and only one FA*. All the rest are quite reasonable in terms of cost and most were used from here or Ebay. You also can't take a macro very well with a 200mm f4. So sure you'll need ceratin lenses for certain tasks. But don't let that become the obsession.

Look at the great stuff Mike Cash shows with old Takumars. I'd encourage anyone shooting with a kit lens to look at Fearviews thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/32931-field-re...-kit-lens.html that he posted earlier. Some very good stuff there.

It's not the lens or camera body for that matter, it's the vision behind the camera that produces the image. Cabstar's image is such a perfect example of why the particular gear really doesn't matter. I took one look at that shot and it immediately brought back a fond memory. When an image can evoke a feeling, not matter what it is, then it works and that one worked well for me.
09-14-2008, 03:29 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Whew - 5 pages of good consumer philosophy here; I'll see if I can put it in a nutshell.

If you are buying more cameras, lenses and equipment and you are producing better images, then you are going in the right direction.

At the point where your images fail to meet your expectations or don't improve, maybe you should stop buying and start using what you have.

I think we have all heard this one but it bears repeating: One of the signs of insanity is that the person keeps doing the same things over and over but expects different results.

09-14-2008, 05:15 AM   #65

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the kind comments & feedback.

My last published shoot at a music festival 2 weekends ago, I got some strange looks in the pit when I was manual focussing my Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm lens. All the other shooters where there with their white canon drain pipes.

After a shooting a few bands we got chatting & most where amazed I was shooting with a 30 year old lens, nevermind one that cost 30 from ebay

Here is a lowlight set, I love the flair effects & bokeh from this lens.

Bingley music live Alabama 3

I do have aspirations for more modern lenses but can get results with the cheaper lenses I have now.

Expensive lenses won't make me a better photographer, but will present a few more opportunities.
09-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Excellent work cabstar.

Ver I Kit lens+6mp DL
I do wish I had a real macro lens though...

Last edited by wildman; 12-26-2008 at 01:00 PM.