Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2016, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #31
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey bertweert, what about an A-400?

what an awesome lens the A400/5.6 is....

12-31-2016, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used and still own the original version of the 55~300mm, and also a 60~250mm
1) IQ of the 60~250mm is definitely better, but it has less reach, it's much heavier and bulkier; it's much more expensive.
2) IQ of the 55~300mm is remarkably good for such a bargain-priced lens; it is small and light, very easy to take-along and hand-hold. You sacrifice some IQ and AV for a very large gain in convenience. As noted by UncleVanya, short of pixel-peeping images of exactly the same subject taken at the same time, it is very difficult to consistently identify photos taken with the 55~300 versus the 60~250, and if both lenses are at mid-range FL and AV (100~200mm @ f8) it is almost impossible.

If you don't need WR, used copies of the original version of the 55~300mm, which are optically identical to the current non-collapsible version, can be purchased for near-steal prices.
12-31-2016, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've added to images from this summer
both were taken in downpours

the black bear was bit of surprise as he magically appeared from it bit of brush (k3 55-300)

the grizzly apparently wanted to meet me (k50 150-500)

the point is the weather resistant pentax combo survived unscathed
while the pentax/sigma combo acted a little weird until it was dissembled and dried out
12-31-2016, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
To me, the DA 55-300 is a no-brainer for a Pentax APS-C camera. Cheap, light, sharp enough, nice bokeh, WR. It is not an elite pro-level lens, but it is very practical and likeable.

Absolutely. Incredible bang for the buck. Light enough to have it always on you when you need the reach. Focus can hunt a little, but with pre-focusing and a little practice I've got many keepers even of moving subjects. Contrast and colour rendering could make you forget you are shooting a consumer zoom lens. Very usable 300mm, where I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it all day at F6.3 or F7.1, if that is fast enough for your photography. Here's what I got from the DA55-300 on a recent zoo visit, all hand-held:

Dresden Zoo - Photos by Marc Synwoldt / 500px

As for the DA10-17, I know I would miss it terribly if I had to part with it. So much fun, and more versatile than one would think:

Fishy vision - Photos by Marc Synwoldt / 500px

12-31-2016, 08:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well...
That was a lot of replies overnight!
More to think about now!

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
I owned the DA L 55-300 but I was never very pleased with the IQ. I think the IQ on my Tamron 18-250 was better and for me that focal length range is preferred. In the end I decided that IQ was my top priority and I was willing to pay more and carry more weight so I could potentially make a sharp enlargement of any good picture I take. Back when I bought my used 60-250 I paid $900 so current pricing is a relative bargain. But it is quite a bit larger and heavier as others have stated. I used to use my 55-300 whenever I travel but now I take the 60-250. I have used it with a Tamron 1.4x converter with good results. If you think you might ever move to full-frame the 60-250 would be the lens of choice. I haven't even made the minor
modification to mine and it's pretty decent on full frame with just some vignetting to correct. Good luck with your decision.
Sound like you might have gotten a bad copy of the 55-300?

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
If your main intended use is birds and wildlife, then the logical choice would be the DA*300. Outstanding quality and for those purposes you don't need a zoom.

However, it is a pretty specialized lens and not practical as an everyday walk-around lens. For that the 55-300 would be much better and the early versions are going very cheap second hand now. ($120-$150 range). Frankly, you need both

The DA*200 is a wonderful lens without peer BUT super expensive and in my view 200mm is too short for wildlife.
Yep, I've crossed the 200 off the list.
I've always wanted the 300 but if I'm getting a more expensive the question is 60-250 or 300?
Very hard choice as I know most animals are far off so the 300 might be a better choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I had the SMC DA200 and upgraded to the 55~300 shortly after it was released. The secret to good, sharp, vibrant images with both lenses is good light - actually, bright light - and a very steady hand. In good light with a high shutter speed either lens is sharp and contrasty, but they both get muddy quickly when light is poor and/or speed drops. At least that's my take.

I use the 55~300 now with K-S1 for just walking around and documentary shots. I don't have anything really good at 300mm, even manual focus.
Hmm... Most of the animals I encounter is near dusk, hence why I want a lens that's faster or I can shoot wide open.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hey bertweert, what about an A-400?
What about it?
I've considered this but I think I'd find the AF a bit slow
What sort of price do they run for?
And how big is it?

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have traveled with the 55-300, and have been very happy with the results. It is definitely an upgrade over the 50-200 in every aspect but portability. There are a good many bags in which you can carry a 50-200, but not a 55-300, especially mounted. The size and weight problem is even greater with one of the highest quality options, such as the 60-250 or DA*300/4 or even the A400. That being said, there is no lens which does the wildlife duty for me like the DA*300 plus rear converter. It is all a question of what you want to spend and how much you are willing to carry.
I can carry lot's just it won't be coming backpacking...
The DA 300 is a popular choice for wildlife.
Most people seem to like to use it with the TC making a 420/5.6
Wonder how I'd like the A 400?

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
So many choices. Are you still interested in getting a macro lens for one day? It's a much easier decision lens-wise. Buy one of the 90-105mm macros and you're done. Concentrate on photographing things with no wings and short legs that can't run away from you. This should keep you busy as you save up for a DA*300/4 or the D-FA 150-450, either of which should be 'forever' lenses and worth saving for.
Still want a nice macro. Only got eyes on one though so an easy decision. I think I'd feel limited with 100 as my longest lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I have three copies of the 55-300 each rides on one body that it seems to perform best on
the weather resistance is initially what drove the purchases but image quality is what keeps them in use
tis lens is a good value no matter what you pay and it is pretty inexpensive right now

I like zooms and seldom use a prime, frankly they make my fun work

if I lived where you do I would want a longer lens and for the money the two big sigma zooms are the best bang for the buck

I got the 150-500 as it was disappearing from inventory and frankly I find it a wonderful lens
it performs better on my k50 than either of my k3s
I suppose every lens/body combination has a sweet spot

it's heavy and not weather resistant
I tote it around in a kinesis bag with a strap made from seatbelt material or carry it cradled across my body
it is too long and heavy to dangle from a strap

those were the downsides

the upsides include better stabilization in-lens than pentax's SR, quick,silent and accurate focusing and pretty remarkable IQ I(even nice bokeh, if that matters) f you do your part of the job

this year i'm going to pick up the hd150-450 and that will strain budgets and relationships
i'm totally satisfied with sigma but I WANT the pentax

either lens will give you an edge over what you are using now
ISO on body offsets any need for speed in the lens
as an added benefit the deeper depth of field will let you get a few more keepers

good luck deciding
Hmm looks like I'll be going to check this lens out...

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
what an awesome lens the A400/5.6 is....
I'll be searching for this as well then...?

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I used and still own the original version of the 55~300mm, and also a 60~250mm
1) IQ of the 60~250mm is definitely better, but it has less reach, it's much heavier and bulkier; it's much more expensive.
2) IQ of the 55~300mm is remarkably good for such a bargain-priced lens; it is small and light, very easy to take-along and hand-hold. You sacrifice some IQ and AV for a very large gain in convenience. As noted by UncleVanya, short of pixel-peeping images of exactly the same subject taken at the same time, it is very difficult to consistently identify photos taken with the 55~300 versus the 60~250, and if both lenses are at mid-range FL and AV (100~200mm @ f8) it is almost impossible.

If you don't need WR, used copies of the original version of the 55~300mm, which are optically identical to the current non-collapsible version, can be purchased for near-steal prices.
I like WR but I guess it's not mandatory...
Seems like the 60-250 is nicer in IQ but the 55-300 may be more convenient.

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I've added to images from this summer
both were taken in downpours

the black bear was bit of surprise as he magically appeared from it bit of brush (k3 55-300)

the grizzly apparently wanted to meet me (k50 150-500)

the point is the weather resistant pentax combo survived unscathed
while the pentax/sigma combo acted a little weird until it was dissembled and dried out
So I see that the WR has come in useful over the Sigma.
I'll still take a look at the Sigma though.
12-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #36
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

yes - the AF on the A400/5.6 is slow... so slow that you could call it 'manual'.....

also in that vein, I've been entertaining a Tamron 300mm f2.8 Adaptall (manual focus) with the Tamron 1.4x TC...

on the macro front, I cannot recommend enough the Tamron 90mm, in just about any of its multiple versions (mine is the Adaptall-2 model 72B)....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 12-31-2016 at 08:43 AM.
12-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes - the AF on the A400/5.6 is slow... so slow that you could call it 'manual'.....

on the macro front, I cannot recommend enough the Tamron 90mm, in just about any of its multiple versions (mine is the Adaptall-2 model 72B)....
On this (another discussion altogether) I've got my eyes set on the DFA 100/2.8 Macro, I've tried it in store and loved it. It's so tiny but produces wonderful images!

Back to tele lenses.
I've had another thought...
How would the A* 300/4 and the 1.7x AF TC work for me?
This would create a 510mm f/6.7 that has limited AF which I have to prefocus.
I would also have a 300/4 that is MF.

Has anyone used this combo?

12-31-2016, 08:51 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Still want a nice macro. Only got eyes on one though so an easy decision. I think I'd feel limited with 100 as my longest lens?
Sort of. Yes you'd be limited in your long range subjects. On the other hand, it opens up a whole new world of little things to aim at, so the amount of subjects you have is basically unlimited.

I went through a similar decision when I owned the basic kit lenses. I wanted to shoot birds and far off things, but the really nice, long glass was pricey. I ended up with the DFA 100mm macro (non-WR). It just shifted my subjects to little things. This kept me entertained (and still does!) for several years. Eventually, my savings matched the price of a DA*300/4, which will serve as my 'long glass' for years to come (I'll probably add the HD 1.4x TC at some point).

I could have purchased one of the 55-300mm variants much earlier (especially the now bargain-priced green ringed version), but I always figured they'd be interim solutions until I could afford the DA*300mm so I waited, with no regrets! The way I figure it, I'll be shooting for years and years and years (hopefully we all will!), so I was never in a rush to acquire new gear when my existing stuff gave me more subjects than I had time for and waiting for the things I really, really wanted was worth it.

Your preferred balance of shooting little things vs. far away things may vary from mine, and you might have a higher priority on getting into the 300mm+ game than I did.

Whatever you decide on, don't look back at what you could have purchased instead. More lenses will arrive in time, so enjoy whatever you end up with.

Edit- just to add, one of the 55-300mm + the raynox close-up adapters is a nice budget option that really opens up your options for subjects for a minimal cost. You can find some nice examples with this combo in the forums. It's never easy working inside a budget, but that's life
12-31-2016, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On this (another discussion altogether) I've got my eyes set on the DFA 100/2.8 Macro, I've tried it in store and loved it. It's so tiny but produces wonderful images!

Back to tele lenses.
I've had another thought...
I would also have a 300/4 that is MF.

Has anyone used this combo?
You might just as well get the DA* at the price the A* goes for...

Even the M* and a 1.7 TC is getting into used DA* price territory.
12-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #40
Pentaxian

You would have gross manual focus and fine-tune AF. IOW you more or less have all the best parts of quickshift!

The only issue, of course, is that f/6.7 in anything but good light.

Other posters should keep in mind that we're making recommendations for a teenage kid; he doesn't have the biggest income on earth and he has to choose his purchases wisely.
12-31-2016, 08:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You might just as well get the DA* at the price the A* goes for...

Even the M* and a 1.7 TC is getting into used DA* price territory.
Is it...
Ok then let's skip that...

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You would have gross manual focus and fine-tune AF. IOW you more or less have all the best parts of quickshift!

The only issue, of course, is that f/6.7 in anything but good light.
Yeah... not the best...
Other posters should keep in mind that we're making recommendations for a teenage kid; he doesn't have the biggest income on earth and he has to choose his purchases wisely.
I guess I should remember that as well

Last edited by bertwert; 12-31-2016 at 08:58 AM.
12-31-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well more rambling thoughts with third party lenses...

Sigma xxx-500/variable range - good reviews on most versions, expensive, AF, newer lens.
Sigma 300/4 APO - all (3) reviews are positive, not too expensive, AF.
Sigma 400/5.6 APO - all (9) reviews are positive, not too expensive, AF.
Tokina 400/5.6 ATC - good reviews, not expensive, AF.
12-31-2016, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Ahh to be a teenage kid again. I know a local 13~14 year who began a photography obsession a few years back. He started with a point and shoot and selling photo cards at local farmers markets. The beauty - at that age you have no real bills, and if you're smiling and friendly, people are willing to drop a few bucks on an enterprising young lad who isn't dreaming of video game + couch + youtube fame. It was not long before he worked his way up to an entry nikon dslr and I think one of those tamron 600mm zooms. You can save pretty fast when your responsibilities are close to zero, though a teenagers definition of 'fast' may vary from an adults.
12-31-2016, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I have a Tamron 70-300, HD 55-300, DA*60-250, and a Sigma 50-500 OS HSM. For portability and weight the HD 55-300 can not be beat. I do not know about the newer version of the 55-300. I know the original HD version blows my Tamron 70-300 away. The build quality, handling, IQ, and overall feeling when using it is just better. IQ and sharpness wise the 60-250 will of course beat the 55-300 as it should. I paid $250 US new for my 55-300. My 60-250 was $600 US used in mint condition which was a rare find. The 60-250 is sharp wide open from f4 while the 55-300 needs to be stopped down to at least f8, but f11 is where it seems to peak. One problem with the 55-300 I think is that it is easy to forget you are using a 300mm lens. Shake reduction has its limits and you need to be aware of your shutter speed. The 50-500 is big, heavy, and needs a ton of light.

I also have a Tokina 400mm which is lightweight and compact for a 400mm prime. It suffers terribly from purple fringing bit that is common with these older film era primes. This is another lens that peaks at f11 even though it is a f5.6 lens. However this lens will fit into any medium to large camera bag. Dollar for dollar the 55-300 is a great deal. Build quality is excellent, the HD coating really helps with flare, and it is small enough to take anywhere. The 60-250 is just a fantastic lens. Usable right from f4 this is a lens that just always delivers. Yes it does suffer from focus breathing at the long end but if you photographing subjects farther than 10 meters away it seems to not not be so much an issue. The 60-250 is rather compact for what it delivers. Fully extended to 250mm however it does become a bit unbalanced without a grip. I never warmed up to using it on my K50 and use me 55300 instead.

HD 55-300 on the K3 300mm f9 ISO 1600 1/400s.

HD 55-300 on the K50 300mm f10 ISO1600 1/400s

HD 55-300 on the K50 55mm f8

HD 55-300 K50 300mm f10 ISO3200 1/320

For comparison 60-250 @ 250mm f5 ISO400 on the K3.

60-250 @ 250mm f5 ISO400 1/125s on the K3.

12-31-2016, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well more rambling thoughts with third party lenses...

Sigma xxx-500/variable range - good reviews on most versions, expensive, AF, newer lens.
It's my current lens...It's a considerable investment in size & weight though.

QuoteQuote:
Sigma 300/4 APO - all (3) reviews are positive, not too expensive, AF.
Good luck finding one...

QuoteQuote:
Sigma 400/5.6 APO - all (9) reviews are positive, not too expensive, AF.
If you can find one that doesn't have element separation. The macro version is the highest rated and sells for more than a DA* 300...

QuoteQuote:
Tokina 400/5.6 ATC - good reviews, not expensive, AF.
The manual version of this lens is quite inexpensive. But the auto focus version is not what I call inexpensive. Noted for it's purple fringing even more so than the Sigma.

Inexpensive long glass just isn't available for Pentax the way it is for Canikon