Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 05:02 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I sent that Sigma 15mm lens back.

The chromatic abberation alone is way worse than anything I have ever seen. One can remove the purple colour in Lightroom but the loss of sharpness is also too great.

So I am looking out for a mint condition 20mm Pentax SMC A.

01-09-2017, 06:35 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't really blame you. I think that Sigma 15 performs better on crop as the really gross stuff on the edges is removed by default.

FA 20's seem to go for around $550 to $600 in excellent condition. Not sure what the market pricing is like in your neck of the woods.

Wish your experience with the Sigma had been better. At least others can learn from your time with that lens on a K-1.
01-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #63
Veteran Member

If I was looking for 17-18mm, settling for 20mm would be quite a compromise. I understand the problem in that almost all full frame UWA lenses were designed well before the digital era - and design capabilities have improved considerably in this area. Most of the development went into zooms, and Pentax isn't the only brand limited when it comes to FF and UWA prime choices.

IMO, the Tokina 17mm is a better option than the Pentax 20mm not only because the price is typically reasonable, but the FoV is dramatically more impressive. I had the AF version on a Canon 5D. Here is an example showing its strengths across the frame:
A-List Images - James Robins - Powered by Phanfare

The Tokina is available only in MF for Pentax, and the reviews here on PF are fairly positive. The optical design is the same on MF and the two AF versions that continued until 2005. Changes were made in barrel, coatings and aperture design, but the relatively high overall optical qualities of all three versions were close. (Tokina wasn't ever the best in coatings, so the main fault with the lens will show when allowing direct light to hit the front element.)

Unfortunately, the better alternative choices covering UWA in FF are zooms, but all are quite large. I have the Sigma 12-24 that I intend to sell (purchased on a whim before deciding not to upgrade to the K-1), and that lens is relatively small for a zoom and quite good starting around 15mm assuming a decently centered copy - but nothing like a compact prime in size, of course.
01-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #64
Pentaxian

The Samyang 14/2.8 is not small or light, but it is inexpensive and fast, and has great image quality.

01-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
The Samyang 14/2.8 is not small or light, but it is inexpensive and fast, and has great image quality.
It's a fine lens, but I find it difficult to focus at times. Along with the Sigma 17-50 (on my APSc bodies), it is the main reason I don't have much need to keep the Sigma 12-24. Still, regarding the OP, just as 20mm is very different than 17mm FoV on FF, so is 14mm. It's a shame that the Tokina 17mm AF lenses never went into K mount.
01-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
One notable factor is that there doesn't appear to be a test / review anywhere of the 20mm FA
SMC Pentax-FA 20mm F2.8 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
on a full frame DSLR.

The reviews are on APS-C cameras where it is a 30mm lens and anyway the perf will be great because one is not going anywhere near the corners.
I was disappointed with my A20/2.8 on APS-C (optically the same as the FA20/2.8).
The performance at the edge of the APS-C frame is worse in some ways than further out:

01-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I sent that Sigma 15mm lens back.

The chromatic abberation alone is way worse than anything I have ever seen. One can remove the purple colour in Lightroom but the loss of sharpness is also too great.

So I am looking out for a mint condition 20mm Pentax SMC A.
I think if you're serious about UWA, Peter, get a Samyang or Irix or whatever, forget small lenses.

I do have a little Voigtlander 20mm now for walkabout but it can't compare image quality wise to my Sammy 14mm or 24mm.

01-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
You could check out the Zenit 16mm, they are quite compact and FF.
+1, the Zenit is quite good for the size, can be defished with a plugin in photoshop
01-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 20mm A from Japan arrived and it is seriously foggy - completely unusable.

However it was very cold when it arrived - probably about 0C - so I will leave it on a central heating radiator (about +45C max) for a couple of days.

Could someone really sell such a fogged up lens?

Otherwise it looks great, with minimal distortion

Last edited by peterh337; 01-20-2017 at 12:29 PM.
01-21-2017, 01:36 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Many hours later, it is exactly the same so this is not water vapour. I am sending it back.
01-21-2017, 02:09 AM   #71

The Pentax FA-20 is light and small and has a good IQ, but may be not too wide for you.
The Tamron SP 17 F3.5 is also light but hard to find and harder with its lens hood, i saw it around 200 €/$.
01-21-2017, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You'all inspired me to write my first lens review--FA 20mm f2.8 on the K-1.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-20mm-F2.8-Lens.html#review8364

M
01-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
By chance I saw your review just now, Miguel. Many thanks

There are no FA20s on Ebay currently.

But the A20 would have been fine for what I want which is "casual" landscape stuff, while making the camera much lighter and smaller than the 1.8kg (K1 + 24-70). If I was happy with close to 3kg total bag weight I would just buy the Pentax 15-30 which is outstanding.

Another A20, a private seller and not a camera shop, went for over 300 GBP yesterday. I guess that one was clean. But the lesson I learnt is to ask for sample photos taken through the lens. The lens I bought from Japan is completely unusable and I got this reply

New message from: kingtakion (1,025Red Star)
I’m sure you are fully aware that I described the lens is "As-is" condition.
There is haze. It will be effect to photo.
So, It is very low price. I hope you understand.
If you hope to send the item back,
so I accept your returned items only in the case that you pay a shuttle of shipment fees.
Thank you.

There is no "effect" on the photo. This lens is totally useless. It's like shooting through the bottom of a bottle.
01-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have just read somewhere that the A20 and FA20 have identical optics, differing only in the autofocus stuff in the FA, and in the FA having more elements in the iris.
01-24-2017, 11:47 PM   #75
Forum Member

I have just read somewhere that the A20 and FA20 have identical optics, differing only in the autofocus stuff in the FA, and in the FA having more elements in the iris.
Peter, obviously appreciate that you'll be trying to sort out the situation with Ebay on your duff FA 20 but if you looking for one give me a shout, I have a good one which is unlikely to get used much now I've bought a 15-30 and I'm UK based which would make things easier!