Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2017, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
New User Needs Lens Help

Happy New Year To One And All )))
K-3 Issue where is the Cute Selfie Button and do they make one That's not bigger than my Head and upper body combined.

When attaching Vintage Glass ie 55mm (full Frame) k-mount do I need to X-1.5 on the focal length. also with vintage 28mm-70mm do you need to change the setting at every Focal stop change you make?

and are non prime vintage a waste of time and money on new camera, say 35-200 zoom ?????

Many Thanks in Advance Happy 2017

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D2303  Photo 
01-01-2017, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lee Malta Quote
New User Needs Help
A guid New Year tae ane and a’

You'd be better posting this query here for a better response.

Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com
01-01-2017, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. Focal length (FL) is what it is--no matter what the sensor size.
2. with an older zoom--the camera does not know what FL lens is set at--so you need to set it. If you are mostly using one FL enter it. If not there are more complex methods, but I would simply set it at, or somewhat above, the widest FL. e.g., on a 28-70 mm zoom, I would set SR at 35 mm.
3. Some older zooms are excellent--but usually not very wide angle ones, or ones that cover a huge FL range (e.g., > 3 x to 4 x). Check the user reviews for the particular lens you want/have here at Pentax Forums.
01-01-2017, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread moved and re-named

01-01-2017, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For all M42, K mount, and M mount lenses you input the actual focal length of the lens when you mount it on the camera. The focal length of the lens never changes only the field of view through the lens. Using a full frame lens on a APS-C camera is like cropping an image down on your computer.
You can read more about crop factor here ->
The Crop Factor Explained: An Animation - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Here you can read and watch a video about using manual lenses on Pentax camera bodies.
How to Use Manual Lenses on Pentax DSLRs - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

I recommend using a lens with an "A" setting. This way you do not need to enter any focal length information and you can control apeture through the camera. I sold all my M and K lenses years ago. Having the auto apeture is just too handy for me but that is just my opinion. If you do not mind stop down metering the older manual lenses are a great and economical choice.

The K3 has front and rear infrared sensors that allow you to trigger the camera from either in front or behind it. You can pick up an inexpensive IR remote on Amazon for around 10 dollars US.

The older super zooms, 28-200, style did suffer in IQ. Lens coatings and technology has come a long way and the modern ones are definitely better. As for being worth it. It depends on what you expect from them.
01-01-2017, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome.

You've got some good advice already, so I'll just add a word or two on older lenses.

If you've already got old lenses, there is nothing wrong with keeping and using them. If you don't like what you get and they don't have sentimental value, there's always someone wanting to buy.

If you can get them dirt-cheap and you can afford to gamble the cost, it can be quite fun to try them out.

Some of the older fully manual lenses really were very, very good optically... but one can be lucky or unlucky; hence my use of the word "gamble".
01-01-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Penatx non-auto focus lens w/ A setting transmit FL info?

About the recommendation of A lenses (lens w/ A setting in aperture ring)--I thought only Pentax F lenses (and subsequent FA, DFA, DA) transmitted FL data to the camera. Any way my lenses w/ an A setting don't--but they are not Pentax brand lenses.
But yes they (early lens with A setting but not auto focus) certainly do transmit lens aperture setting when aperture ring set to A--or rather that lets the camera set the lens aperture.

01-01-2017, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
About the recommendation of A lenses (lens w/ A setting in aperture ring)--I thought only Pentax F lenses (and subsequent FA, DFA, DA) transmitted FL data to the camera. Any way my lenses w/ an A setting don't--but they are not Pentax brand lenses.
But yes they (early lens with A setting but not auto focus) certainly do transmit lens aperture setting when aperture ring set to A--or rather that lets the camera set the lens aperture.
For lenses with an "A" setting yes you still have to enter focal length. I always seem to forgot that. I sold off all my manual focus lenses when I still had my K10D. Seems I forgot about that, it happens when you get old .