Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
35 macro disapoints, so maybe a zoom?

Well, I've used the DA 35 for a few days. My reasoning was that a "normal" lens would be the best for general walk-around use, and the macro was just icing on the cake, but I've come to realize that I'm not really that interested in macro, and that I'm not such a big fan of lens switching when out walking around looking for subjects; in a studio setting, maybe swapping primes works, but I'm now thinking that I can give up a little image quality for the flexibility of a good quality moderate zoom.

If I'm going away from prim (?) I've been looking at the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, any others I should be looking at?
FHPhotog

08-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think perhaps the Film SLR Discussion section should be moved below the Lens Discussion section. That might help cut down on lens posts ending up in our lost-and-found department.
08-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Well, I've used the DA 35 for a few days. My reasoning was that a "normal" lens would be the best for general walk-around use, and the macro was just icing on the cake, but I've come to realize that I'm not really that interested in macro, and that I'm not such a big fan of lens switching when out walking around looking for subjects; in a studio setting, maybe swapping primes works, but I'm now thinking that I can give up a little image quality for the flexibility of a good quality moderate zoom.

If I'm going away from prim (?) I've been looking at the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, any others I should be looking at?
FHPhotog

Unless you know for sure that you won't use wide angle I'd probably recommend the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 or Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 before the Tamron because of the 1.5X crop factor.

However, what exactly was it about the DA35 that didn't work for you? I guess I'm an "old school" photographer because I learned to shoot with primes before using zooms and I actually find primes easier to use in all types of photography except wedding ceremony photography (where the event is a "once in a lifetime" event and subjects are constantly moving and you need many shots but can't always move around).

I find that primes are easier simply because they "suggest" composition. By that, I mean that if you get used to shooting primes you start to anticipate the field of view that a 28mm lens gives you versus a 50mm or a 135mm lens. So, when I look at a subject with my naked eye I can generally anticipate what the framed image will look like with a given focal length even before I bring the viewfinder up to my eye.

Even though I should be able to do the same thing with zooms, it typically doesn't work that way. A zoom lets you frame shots however you want ... but sometimes that huge range leads to lazy composition.