Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
I have the 16-85mm for my K3II it is a great lens far beyond the kit lens stigma it sometimes gets. I was going to do the 18-135 kit lens but after visiting PF a month or so ago I was very easily persuaded into the 16-85!
Actually, the 18-135 is a very good lens too. Not as good as the 16-85 at the edges, but a great walk-around if you need the extra reach. PF members love it; the "DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do" thread currently runs to 120 pages! The corresponding 16-85 thread has 34 pages, though it's newer.

You wouldn't go wrong with either.

01-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

If you'd like to get an idea of differences in low noise at higher ISO, go to Imaging Resource and select compare images to bring up their "comparometer". You can compare the same image on the K-70 and K-3 (which image-wise is the same as the K-3II). The still-life image with the bottles, etc is best. Compare at ISO 3200, 6400, and 12,800. Click once more on the image to get the maximum blowup. Look for the noise in shadow areas, and also see how well detail in the objects holds up. The bottle with the Greco-Roman figure is a good example, as is the writing on the Samuel Adams beer bottle. If you want to compare your old K-10D, you have to select "all cameras" at the top of the column to get discontinued models. The images are all JPEGs out of the camera at default settings.

When you get your new camera, I advise you to adjust your sharpening to "fine" sharpening, regardless of the degree of sharpening set. I have found this invariably brings best results for out-of-the-camera images. Just go to your custom image menu, which by default is on the "bright" setting. Then access the submenu to adjust parameters within that setting (contrast saturation, sharpness, etc). Use the rear thumb dial to effectuate "fine" along with your sharpness setting.
01-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Actually, the 18-135 is a very good lens too. Not as good as the 16-85 at the edges, but a great walk-around if you need the extra reach. PF members love it; the "DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do" thread currently runs to 120 pages! The corresponding 16-85 thread has 34 pages, though it's newer.

You wouldn't go wrong with either.
Absolutely true... I still ended up with a 15mm Limited to get just a tad wider than the 16-85 at wide angle anyways. I just think between the slightly improved performance and modest price up charge the 16-85 is worth the extra bucks. Nothing wrong with the 18-135 which provides a little extra reach!